Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Xbasic - How to skin a cat, the best way. Matching a tag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Xbasic - How to skin a cat, the best way. Matching a tag.

IRA,

I promise I will look at your TIPS page and I really do appreciate the benefit of your wisdom. At this point in time I cannot worry about whether I have the most efficient version or not. What I have to do needs to perform, but when done the next time for the same customer, 9 to 15 months will have passed. I need it to be easily modified for the next use, as I do not know until I get their data-set just what I will be playing with. YES maybe it could be improved upon and over time it WILL improve, I just need something that will get the job done "today" and get the project off-my-plate. As far as funds go, anything I drop out at the moment is purely out of my pocket and it is not that plush at the moment so I will have to make do until something changes. Again, I DO APPRECIATE the time you take to point out the finer points of A5 programming. For the record, I have v10, v11 and Anywhere at my disposal and I could go back and load older if there was a real need.

Keith
    Keith Weatherhead
    Discus Data, Ltd
    [email protected]

Comment

This problem is basically that of a spell checker, except you want to flag words that match.

Pattern matching and string searching make for slow spell checking.

The classic approach for spell checking is to use a hash table. Hash searching is extremely fast. Search speed is pretty much constant no matter what size word or phrase you are looking for.

Basically you want to turn your "dictionary" of words into a hash table and index the hash. For each record to check, you would then turn the record contents into a list of hashes to search against your dictionary.

Alpha 5 has a two built in functions for hashing, *CRC32() is probably good enough for this application, it's fast but you would want to see if you had collisions (it's not really designed for hashing words). MD5() is overkill and slower, the searches are going to be slower (but how slow depends on the size of your dictionary).
      Last edited by jacobe; 08-23-2013, 11:42 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Keith:
        Didn't mean to offend with the covert government thing..disregard.
        When I mentioned the spelling I was trying to make a corollary between the possible variations of what you are searching for and misspelling a word as an analogy.
        Yes, I think an array is a good way to go. To make it better, you could
        1-Read all the terms in an array.
        2-The array, of course, will have a reference to the company (an ID for instance)..
        3-To make things faster, once you encounter a term that matches in the array, you could flag this company and expunge all the other terms for that company from the array so you do not have to keep reading them again and again down the array.
        As I said, I had trouble with matching in an array in v8, but you could test and see how well it works in the newer versions.
        And as to the different format of files from these companies, I would just read them as much as possible into a csv file.
        And as an aside, Excel is extremely powerful assuming you know how to program in VB. You could do all of the above and more in VB. Only drawback to Excel is the number of records.
        Last edited by G Gabriel; 08-24-2013, 09:32 AM.

Comment

NO offense taken, just pointing we are neither the government, nor the bank, we are an independent firm that is taking direction from the bank plus our expertise and doing what needs to be done. Sometimes the client is gracious and other times they are adversarial but in either case we simply have a job to do and regardless of the relationship, it gets done.

I am NOT really worried about the spelling errors, at least not the point of trying to hash terms or do proximity searches, that is overboard for our purposes. I cannot necessarily flush the array on the first hit unless I want to have to review every hit... if I hit multi-terms and the code to store is different, then instead of placing FED, STATE, MUNI I place MULTI and then can search for that specifically and change to what is appropriate.

YES, from the beginning my idea was to load up the array and then ditch the TERMS file as it is no longer needed. Once the pass is thru (array), UPDATE THE Master File if a match exists and then get the next Master File record and respin thru the array again. How many Master File records exist is how many times the array will be spun thru.

Again as Ira said, once thru each file.

Keith
          Keith Weatherhead
          Discus Data, Ltd
          [email protected]

Comment

And if you want to make things faster, I would sort those search words in a descending order according to the most popular ones.

Comment

If you *almost* always need to "go thru the *whole* list" as apposed to "stop on first match", why would it matter, just wondering....
              Keith Weatherhead
              Discus Data, Ltd
              [email protected]

Comment

It matters.
                Say the most popular word is "University"
                and say you have 700 elements in the array
                if "university", being the most popular, occurs in say 200 of these 700 and if you remove these 200 elements from the array after the first run, then in the second run you will be searching only 500 elements with the second most popular word..the array will shrink much more faster than if you search 700 elements for a word that occurs only once in the average..

Comment

Well hopefully, I will only have to run it one time per review. In time I would learn what the most popular terms are however initially, I would not know that and the list has to be exercised at least one time. Again, this is not a daily thing and maybe not even monthly, quarterly and annually yes...
                  Keith Weatherhead
                  Discus Data, Ltd
                  [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                  X