Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Form size adjustments cause drop downs to be cut off at right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form size adjustments cause drop downs to be cut off at right

I've been updating some forms to adjust to the new screen sizes. We used to have mostly 1024x768 screens when I designed these forms. Now that we have mostly larger screens I am redoing the forms.These screens are also mostly 16:9 format. One of the adjustments I made was to move some drop down fields to the right side of the form. This may have been a mistake. My drop downs have two columns but when the field is all the way to the right of the form the drop down does not show the entire two-column list. It is cut off.When the field is further to the left it looks fine and normal.

I tried playing around with the default drop down or pop-up choices. I am trying to move the drop down list over to the left. Nothing works.

These drop downs are lookups defined in the table field rules, not the form.

Is there a way to flow the list down from the field and have everything in the drop down shift to the left so I can see both columns?

Here are two pictures. One shows a list being cut off at the right edge of the screen. The other shows a good drop down, this field is more to the left on the form.

Thanks for any help,
    Sean

Drop Down good.pngDrop Down cutoff.png

Re: Form size adjustments cause drop downs to be cut off at right

is it possible the actuasl screen size is larger on the right side than needed.

I guess I really need to test it before I get to answering.

Like this:
    likethis.png

The key is NOT as a drop down. and don't click that bottom check mark. You can choose where on screen you want it to show up.

I remembered I crossed this bridge in v7
    Last edited by amorris; 09-04-2013, 12:17 AM.

Comment

On my laptop I have a 1280 x 800 screen. On that screen the default drop down is cut off. On one of our desktops we have a 1600 x 900 screen. On that screen the default drop down overflows off the form but is nicely viewable on the screen.

I played around with the custom browse and trying to locate it in the right place. I have the location okay but the browse is not what I want. The default drop down allows an easy single-click pick from the list. With this browse I have to either double-click the selection or click on OK. Also, I can't get the entire second column to show up by default. If I want to see the whole column I have to grab the column header and drag to the right. Not ideal.

Here's a couple of pictures. One is the standard drop down flowing off the right of the form and onto the larger screen. This is fine, but it does not do this on a smaller screen. The other picture is of the custom browse. Notice how the second column is cut off.

Thanks,
      SeanDrop Down on Large Screen.pngCustom Drop Down.png

Comment

Sean,

I did not try this with a custom browse. I did it with an embedded browse on a form and it allows the popup to be most anywhere on the screen. That may create a difference. You might try the allow full screen(bottom check mark).

Comment

Originally posted by amorris View Post
          I did it with an embedded browse on a form and it allows the popup to be most anywhere on the screen.
          Well, when I use the default drop-down in field rules I can't keep the drop down list from being cut off on a smaller screen. The drop down list always starts at the left edge of the field and cascades to the right. I would like to anchor the list to the right side of the field and get it to cascade to the left. I'm going to try to use the form controls instead and see if I can get different results.

Comment

That is why I don't always use the drop down, as seen in the image I uploaded. uncheck the box for dropdown, then it kinda floats where you tell it to.

Comment

I guess the real issue for me is that I like the simplicity of the standard drop down. Just click, scroll, and click. Easy.

If I uncheck the box for dropdown I am able to position a list anywhere I want but I miss the simple "click, scroll, click" method used by the default drop down. I also can't seem to get the entire width of the second column to show up.

Comment

you might try increasing the width on the lookup. I have one where the field is 22 characters, but on the lookp, it works best with the width at 28.

Comment

I tried that too. Apparently this width setting only works on the standard drop down and not on the browse window.

Comment

Working...
                  X