Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problems with brose and new record by form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with brose and new record by form

Here I go again.
    I have a browse populated by quotes.
    The quote number is auto incremented.
    I have a new button which open the quote form and the quote number is assigned ,
    but before I can save it, it is already populated on the browse as a record.

Thanks
    Bob

Re: Problems with brose and new record by form

The only entries I have on the on enter event (on the quote from) is get and set field values.

Comment

A sample database is going to be a lot easier to follow than your explanation.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,
        Sorry getting back so late.
        I have attached a sample database, which opens a customer and I can populate estimates through a browse which opens a form.
        If I cancel of exit the form it still commits the quote number which is auto incremented.

Comment

No, you haven't.
          There can be only one.

Comment

If you use a Browse with AutoIncrement, you may need to delete the record on Cancel or Exit.
            See what happens when you press the Esc button on your keyboard before saving the record. It should undo the record create.
            Looking fwd to the example Db.
            See our Hybrid Option here;
            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

My File is 9MB compressed and the Forum will only allow 5MB.
              My SEM is 8MB alone compressed.

Comment

Performed a database/workspace compact recently?

Make a copy of the database in another directory and remove most of the records from it. Attach that.
                There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan, that worked.
                  Here it is.

Thanks Bob
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, don't see any new record in the browse upon new parent creation.

Image 1.png
                    There can be only one.

Comment

When you click customer on menu, you should see account # 0000001 (Bob Giordano).
                      Than Click Estimate tab, if you click the new button (under the estimate tab)a new quote number is assigned and the estimate form is opened.
                      But it committed the recorded (look at Browse) before saving it.cap1.PNGcapt2.PNG

Comment

Yes, that's what your action script for the new button was told to do.

Image 2.png

A form can display an existing record or be opened to a new record. That's about it. If you want to display something where a new record might be created or abandoned you'll have to use an xdialog.
                        Last edited by Stan Mathews; 12-01-2013, 02:45 PM.
                        There can be only one.

Comment

No I this agree , even if you open a form for a new record, it shouldn't commit the record until you save it.
                          The attached app is the right way it should work.
                          open customers and than click new . It will open a new quote, but it doesn't save the record until you click save.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Bob,

Permit me to jump in.

The different behavior you are seeing may be explained by this:

a) in TEST.ZIP the new record is being started in a form based on a single table. If the user cancels there the new record is not saved.

b) in CIF.ZIP the new record is being started in a set based form. Action Scripting begins the new record in the header table (Billhed). But the set based form has an unusual tab order. Instead of focus being set to a field in the header table, the first object in tab order on your form is the child table browse (Bdetails). As you know, in a set based form when a record is begun in the header and the user tabs into a browse control for linked child table records, Alpha ALWAYS saves the new header record for you. After all why would the user want to enter a child table record that did not already have a parent? Stated differently, unless the parent table record is saved, the link field value connecting the "new" child record cannot be safely secured.

I suspect that you are thinking that the set based form represents a single "record", but it does not. It is set based. Data entry in Alpha Five sets based on native tables is always done through the tables, separately. In this case the new Billhed records are happening because your called form is shifting focus to the browse for the linked child table records after the new header record begins.
                            Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 12-01-2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks Tom For the clarity.
                              So how do I get around this.
                              If the user starts a new estimate or quote, and than decides to cancel out, do I have to delete that record first, than close the form.
                              And how would you get around closing the window by clicking on the x on the upper right corner.

Comment

Working...
                              X