Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

set field rules cannot edit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

set field rules cannot edit

cannot edit field rules in set (get excluse mode error) i understand going to specific table to edit rules but the problem is i need a calculated field with linking tables linked to itself. the name of the table is custmast linked to custmast@1 linked to csutmast@2 etc. the linked databases are only offered in the set field rules. ie trim(custmast->lastname)+ " "+trim(custmast@1->lastname)+" "+trim(custmast@2->lsatname)
    thanks for any suggestions
    Bob

Re: set field rules cannot edit

Originally posted by bobsk View Post
    . ie trim(custmast->lastname)+ " "+trim(custmast@1->lastname)+" "+trim(custmast@2->lsatname)
    Wouldn't that be the same as:
    trim(custmast->lastname)+ " "+trim(custmast->lastname)+" "+trim(custmast->lsatname)
    Which, in reality, does seem to add up to any comprehensible calculation that I could imagine..
    What is it you are trying to achieve by this calculation?

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
      Wouldn't that be the same as:

Which, in reality, does seem to add up to any comprehensible calculation that I could imagine..
      What is it you are trying to achieve by this calculation?
      the tables are linked with a customer number field. there is a cust referral field also. the field is entered from a lookup on the same table.
      i made a calculated field with the expresion i mentioned. custmast->name +" "+ custmast1->name+" "+custmast2->name and it produced... Jones, Smith, Sorota on the form. ie Jones was refered by Smith who was referred by Sorota and so on. Also am able include any field on those table and would show more info
      earlier versions i was able to do this at the set level field rules
      Attached Files
      Last edited by bobsk; 05-18-2014, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I am sorry, I am still unclear.
        If the table custmas is linked to itself (i.e. its alias) via customer number field (or any field for that matter) and if Jones has a customer number field of say 101 then in the child (the alias) the matching record will also be Jones, that is unless customer number field is not unique to each record, which seems to be the case. But that still leaves me wondering, how come you got Jones, Smith, Sorota not Jones, Jones, Smith or Jones, Jones, Sorota? I guess that has to do with the fact that you are linking 1:1 on First. But what defines first?
        I think in your case, the best thing is to post a zip file if you can.
        And as an aside, linking a table to itself is a bad idea..linking it to itself twice, is 10 times as bad (not twice as bad, 10 times)..linking it to itself 3 times: I don't know, I am lacking the proper vocabulary..it's something that rhymes with "disaster", "catastrophe"..etc.

Comment

Hi Bob,

Gabe is right, you need to think this through again. From your screen shot, you have all the fields available in the first Customer table, since you are linking 1:1 you can't enter a field rule for the last table in your set, as it is still the same table as the first one.
          Regards
          Keith Hubert
          Alpha Guild Member
          London.
          KHDB Management Systems
          Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

i am sorry. i do not want a field rule. i just want to create a calculated field expression using the linked tables. i can create it on a form built on the set. I works well but i wanted to make one on the set from the database structure. i guess i will make a global calculated fied using a variable. sorry did not explain well.

Comment

101 is a customer number but it is linked to the child database with a referal number. check out new screen shot. I can create the calc expression on the for but from a set. Is there a way to make a global calculated field? I am wantimg to do this because i am exporting to xls then to my phone for wieing only. the export genie only offers field choices from stucture.
              Attached Files

Comment

i am sorry. i do not want a field rule.
                I am confused, the title of this thread is for Field Rules
                Is there a way to make a global calculated field?
                You can set the calculated value to a Global variable. This is still not clear as to why you want to do this.
                Regards
                Keith Hubert
                Alpha Guild Member
                London.
                KHDB Management Systems
                Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith, it looks like Bob has created a linked list in his table. When he enters a new record each customer gets a unique customer id. In each new record is a field to store the customer id of the customer who "referred" the new customer.

Bob, you might be able to achieve your goal without using the set, but it will be difficult and may be slow. Your calc expression could run a custom UDF that walks through the linked list of referrals to retrieve the names.

Comment

I will try udf. emphasis on "try"
                    also i am using the value of this field to export to excell. the export function only lets me pick fields form structure. if i create this calc field at the set level (which gives me values that i need) is there a simple way to have that value default into a character field. then i could export ok. I could run an update but maybe there is an easier way
                    Thank you

Comment

Bob, I don't think you'll be able to export the desired string of names unless you store them in the table itself. Others may have better news for you, however, since I don't work with Excell very much and have limited experience exporting data to it.

Comment

thanks Tom

Comment

Bob, you would be loads better off if you have a table specifically for "referred by",
                          Both cust id's could be saved there, and then if you want to analyse, it is simple.
                          Having been through this where 1 person could pay for 2 or 3 others, it drove me to distraction trying to do it on the one table.
                          See our Hybrid Option here;
                          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsk View Post
                            101 is a customer number but it is linked to the child database with a referal number. check out new screen shot. I can create the calc expression on the for but from a set. Is there a way to make a global calculated field? I am wantimg to do this because i am exporting to xls then to my phone for wieing only. the export genie only offers field choices from stucture.
                            When you say you are trying to create a "global" calculation, where are you placing this calculation? In the parent table? i.e. the table itself?
                            I don't believe that will work, because when you go to the parent table and refer to the aliases, the parent tables does not know who these aliases are. They become only known is the context of the set, but you said you didn't want to do that in the Field Rules.
                            If your goal is to export to Excel, then your best bet is to create a UDF that, either will create:
                            1-The calculation you are attempting and save it in a calc field in the table, or better
                            2-a CSV file to export to Excel
                            Another option, is to export it to Excel as is and do your calculation in Excel, which is perhaps much easier.

Comment

Working...
                            X