Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

HTML Memo Bug in V11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HTML Memo Bug in V11

There are articles that explain that IE11 behaves differently on Win7 vs. Win8.1. Also there are many programs that are broken on Win8.1/IE11 with regards to the same html editor we are talking about here. Selwyn himself has confirmed that A5V11 is broke on Win8.1 with IE11, and explained this is the reason they moved to Chrome (also, if I recall because it was frustrating that nearly every update to IE caused new problems.)
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

My understanding is, and this is from Alpha sources and also found here on the forum is that the problem is in running Developer and that the user will have no problem regardless of browser. So the advice is that you, only on your dev machine, if you want to work with v11, that you not run Win8.1. For your users, what you build runs on any IE and browser version.

Originally posted by Michael Humby View Post
      If this is correct then there is no way that we can dictate to our clients which version of IE they use so I guess that means I will have to abandon the HTML feature and go back to Plain Text memo.

Michael

Michael
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

So the advice is that you, only on your dev machine, if you want to work with v11, that you not run Win8.1. For your users, what you build runs on any IE and browser version
        Nope. V11 and V10.5 on Win7 with IE11.
        Error appears, but it is possible to click through and enter data.
        Using RT for both, same error appears, so I am unsure what Steve actually means. Users will probably see the same as me - an error and you will need to explain the click through.

Given that this is a problem, I really had hoped that Alpha would have come up with the Chrome solution earlier and deployed if to V11 users.
        Surely it is not a complicated matter - code wise that is - to redirect to Chrome instead of IE?
        Purchasing V12 is not really an option as this issue was known in V11 well before the final patch for it.
        If indeed V11 was fixed, it would make me think a bit harder about going to V12, but I don't want to be a hostage to someone else's fortune.
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I am able to test V11 on Win7/IE10 and Win8.1/IE11. I am not going to install IE11 on my Win7 machine to test. I can assure you using V11 on Win8.1/IE11 that you can click all day on the Yes or No button on the dhtml error dialog and it will NEVER go away as long as you continue to attempt to enter in an HTML Memo field. But I also have to change one of my previous statements, when it comes to an HTML Memo field on V11 using Win8.1/IE11 (the only one I am testing), both Developer AND USER are screwed, the dhtml error appears in both cases. Previously I said only Developer. I did not test RT.

Although we are not talking about WCD, I do know that WCD (Web Components on Desktop) also fail with the same error using V11 and Win8.1/IE11. WCD runs on RT, but the offending object is the "working preview" which causes the dhtml error.

Not sure about the timing on Alpha discovering the dhtml bug. I know V12 was out before IE11 hit the street. So I think they did not know about the problem until a bit after the final V11 was out, and when V12 was in full swing. For the record, I think it is a mistake not to go back and fix the issue in V11 (assuming it is relatively easy) because a lot of users will just drop out rather than move to V12, or will resign themselves to forever fall behind on IE versions. Personally I have to support V11 Web installations for the foreseeable future, and therefore have resigned myself to have a Win7/IE10 machine forever.
          Last edited by Steve Wood; 06-02-2014, 06:24 AM. Reason: then to than
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve

Thank you for all of your knowledge it makes the bug situation more understandable if not cured.

Thanks everyone else for testing my bug app.

Michael

Comment

Steve,
              Why does this work on my machines and not yours?

I am here, win8.1, IE11, html memo, one other field, in a form, I can click the pencil all day long, edit and save. I have no issues and you do? New adb, old adb, I create, use Michaels test is all the same.

I may have just figured it out. I have desktop only v11. I can't(by choice) make web apps or a wcd. May be not the reason, but.....
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I have desktop only v11.
                That will be it Dave.

Comment

Is there a trial of Desktop Only, I would not mind trying the same experiment on my machines. I didn't know there was a Desktop Only.

Turns out I was able to test also Win7/IE11 and it had the same dhtml error dialog issue. IE11 was the common element between my Win8.1 and Win7 tests.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

It was a one off "special" Steve. I think Alpha were trying to boost sales of V11. There were some very good deals flying around.

Comment

If there is a dll in the Desktop Only version that fixes the dhtml error I wanted to try adding it to the full V11 and solve the error, achieve hero status.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

It might be the absence of a dll.
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I don't think there is a difference in the dll's, just permissions in the app by registration number?
                          May be a dll that I can't use, but I cannot create a web app at all, nor can I do wcd.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Steve
                            let me know if it will help you, I can arrange for my dll files to be downloaded for your inspection. There may be differences.
                            In fact I just zipped them all up. I would interested to know if one is missing or extra and if the sizes are the same.
                            download here
                            http://www.aldaweb.com/as/dll1.zip
                            http://www.aldaweb.com/as/dll2.zip

This is the runtime dlls, if needed, I can do this for the dev as well, but they are supposed to be the same.
                            Last edited by DaveM; 06-02-2014, 02:46 PM.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

If this works, you guys will get medals.

Have you tried running V11 under DEPENDENCY WALKER?

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                                If this works, you guys will get medals.

Have you tried running V11 under DEPENDENCY WALKER?
                                Did it work?
                                TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Working...
                                X