Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problem with a set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with a set

I'm fairly experienced with database systems, but new to A5. I'm converting an application from Lotus Approach to A5, and, initially, we're trying to do it as quickly as possible - i.e., probably not taking advantage of some of the niceties of A5. I've got two specific problems that don't seem to be mentioned in the forum.

1 - I'm trying to create a set involving "line item".dbf, invoice.dbf, and "buyer data".dbf. Invoice is the root, and buyer data, and line item are each sub-tables of invoice. All is ok until I try to add "line item". Everything seems OK except that no list of columns pops up to let me create the link between invoice and line item. I've checked column data types , etc. and it all seems ok. I don't get any sort of error message, just no selection of columns to link on. If I make line item to root I can make the links, however, that causes me to have to turn a 1:M link into a 1:1 link in the other direction. Any suggestions? (Incidentally, the documentation refers to an older interface that lacks the graphical point and click way of creating the structure of the set - I wonder if the more graphical interface is part of the problem? I've no idea how long it's been around.).

2 - In the inherited database I have a memo field containing bitmap photographs. I'd like to display them in a form field, but it doesn't work simply by referencing the field in the form. Another memo field containing text does get displayed. Is there a function that needs to be applied to the bitmap data, or some other manipulation that has to take place?

I've done a lot of searching to solve these problems myself before posting here, but I may very well have looked in the wrong places, or phrased searches poorly. This is my first forum post, so forgive me if the content is inappropriate in any way.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Problem with a set

Mike

Welcome to Alpha. Approach is nice system and easy to use. Too bad it is deprecated.

1. In the set definition you have the linking established between parent and child. So you either enter a new parent, or find an existing parent and the child is attached to the parent using the set definition.

Are you building a form based on the set with the parent record and the child as a browse? Look at the AlphaSports sample as a template to design from.

2. In the table definition is the image field defined as a memo field or a bitmap field? Bitmap will work with a memo field that is holding an jpg or png too.

Not sure if this is an option, but some choose to store images outside of the dbf and refer to the location of the image file. That helps to keep the size of the dbf smaller. But that may not be an issue for you...

Hope that helps.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I am not straight here. May be me.

invoice s the master table
      link linitems 1 to many
      link buyer as 1 to one?

I just need to get my bearings before suggesting.
      I am old, so could have read it wrong

Note: I generally make all linking fields numeric and the have nothing to do with invoice numbers and other. They are hidden to the user on forms, reports.
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Al,

Thanks for the quick response! I feel foolish for missing the bitmap data type - I'll try it asap.

As for the set creation problem, I'm not sure I understand your answer. I've created a nearly identical set in another application - structurally it is identical: teacher, with 1-1 relationship to subject, and 1-M relationship to students and it works fine (this was just a demo I put together for scratch, not trying to convert from another platform). Seemingly doing the same thing with invoice, buyer, and list of line items fails in a way that looks like a bug - the interface simply doesn't present the opportunity to choose columns to match on and gives no error message as to why it doesn't. It's almost as if it thinks line item has no columns. However, if I (artificially) make line item the primary table and create a 1-1 link to invoice, it works. I may be able to get around all this when I create a grid as the grid will contain the line items and the form containing the grid will have the invoice and buyer data. I'll play around with it some more and if it turns out to be something other than pilot error, I'll report back.

Thanks, "the pilot"

Comment

Dave,

Yes - that is the arrangement:
          Code:
          invoice -- 1:1 --> buyer
           |
            -- 1:M --> lineitem
          I'm currently keeping things as they are in Approach as we are going to be going back and forth between the two systems for a while (don't ask!)

Thanks,

Mike
          Last edited by Al Buchholz; 06-02-2014, 04:24 PM. Reason: clarity in diagram

Comment

That diagram was garbled - meant to show that buyer and line item are each linked directly off invoice.

Comment

Michael, the general recommendation is to avoid blank spaces in object names, including table or field names. To aid clarity an underscore character might be used without causing an issue. So your "line item" table would become "Line_item", for example.

Comment

Thanks, Tom - that is probably part of the problem. I have a constraint of having to share the dbf and dbt between A5 and an existing Approach application, so I've been trying to maintain one set of names. I may have to create a script to move files back and forth while changing names as necessary - the problem occurs in table names as well as in column names. Sigh.

Comment

You could always download my FREE Invoicing app and see how I constructed the sets.
                  Look in www.allstarapplications.com
                  See our Hybrid Option here;
                  https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                  You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Tim, thanks. At the moment I'm constrained to maintain the same set of base tables and the look and feel of the Approach screens. Once we've got the (semi)exact copy working I'll be trying to talk the user into redesigning. I know we can't be using the full functionality of A5 - furthermore, we're bound to want to go to a web based version that will support hand-held devices. That's probably next year earliest.

Mike

Comment

I wasn't suggesting you use it, just to see how the sets were constructed.
                      See our Hybrid Option here;
                      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelFrame View Post
                        Dave,

Yes - that is the arrangement:
                        Code:
                        invoice -- 1:1 --> buyer
                         |
                          -- 1:M --> lineitem
                        I'm currently keeping things as they are in Approach as we are going to be going back and forth between the two systems for a while (don't ask!)

Thanks,

Mike
                        Mike

Can you show the field names that comprise the relationship? in both Approach and Alpha?

An image of both would help too....
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm at home with Mac access only. I'll look at it in the AM when I get back to a PC. Thanks, Mike

Comment

I'll try to send it to you when I get back to the office tomorrow. Thanks.

Comment

Mike

Sure. You may want to send the app to me or someone else to help. Or do a quick remote session to save time.
                              Al Buchholz
                              Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X