Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Looking for some Advice about running a desktop app across the internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some Advice about running a desktop app across the internet

I have developed and modified an application which has been in use now for over twenty years. The application is running across a LAN at one site, Runtime Shadowed, with probably 5-6 users all on at the same time, with two sites currently running the application each on a single computer.

The company wants to have all software at it's new facility on it's own in house servers. I have been doing some reading on this board to see if a desktop application can be set up to run this way. Speed is important and there is a lot of data entry, local printing and emailing of reports as .pdf files. We have a gigabit network and performance is very good. It was not very good with a 100 mbps network, especially on the Win XP machines.

I believe that the WEB solution is probably the way to go, but I do not have the expertise needed to redesign a desktop application into a WEB application. The desktop application has over 65 .DBF tables, 26 forms, 19 browses, 77 reports, 224 scripts/functions/toolbars. WEB based would require some form of SQL which I have almost no experience with.

I see where a number of people use terminal services. I've heard of terminal services but do not quite know what it is. I'm looking into T/S now.

In our situation, I could see where we would have possibly a total of 10 people logged in at a time. One locally, 1 each at two sites and 5-6 at the fourth site. There is to be a VPN connecting all the facilities.

One site is in Florida and the others right know are in MA. In the future, we could be adding some additional sites. This is probably a lot to ask, but is this doable and still have good performance? Or would we be better off going WEB.
    Alpha 5 Version 11
    AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
    DBF's and MySql
    Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Re: Looking for some Advice about running a desktop app across the internet

Terminal Services will work fine for this given a reasonable internet speed at the sites.

Since you'll have multiple users at the 'central site' you may want to have a 3 tiered approach.

1. local machine - each user connects to terminal services
    2. application machine - at central site that holds the Alpha software and runs for multiple users. This level may have multiple machines that you would have users assigned to. Add machines at this level as indicated by performance.
    3. data machine - at the central site that holds the data files that are shared by each application machine.

An alternative to MS terminal services is here. http://tsplus.net/
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

You can also use RemoteApp as a similar alternative to full terminal services.

Essentially it's terminal services but without showing the users another full desktop in a window.

RemoteApp can virtualize your Alpha Desktop App into what "looks like" a native desktop app... except under the hood it's the is using terminal services (RDP)

Make sure you have Windows Server 2012 or greater, if you decide to try RemoteApp

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al....php?110740#20

Comment

I have several clients running on T/S on 2008R2 - have been for several years. However, ALL users are accessing thru T/S - no shadow. Even if they are 2 feet from the server.
        Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
        972 524 8714
        [email protected]

Comment

Ronald,
          If you have a VPN, can't your remote users access the servers in the same way as local users? If so, you probably don't need T/S at all, and just have a runtime shadowed application at the remote sites mapping the server as a local drive. Maybe I'm way off base, b ut if it is possible, I recommend using as few extra layers of software as possible.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Henkel View Post
            Ronald,
            If you have a VPN, can't your remote users access the servers in the same way as local users? If so, you probably don't need T/S at all, and just have a runtime shadowed application at the remote sites mapping the server as a local drive. Maybe I'm way off base, b ut if it is possible, I recommend using as few extra layers of software as possible.

Tom
            Yes they can, but should they? Probably not. Alpha (and many other systems) run much better on a local machine and the remote machine sees only the image of what is going on.

This is a case where the extra steps/layers are well worth it.
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD
            Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
            Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
            When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
            "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
            Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I agree with Al - using T/S and no shadow is a much better option
              972 524 8714
              [email protected]

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions. I haven't commented as I have nothing to add, other than to listen to what board members have to say. I'm not sure where we are going with this yet, but I need some ideas when the time comes.

Ron
                Alpha 5 Version 11
                DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

I would suggest going with either MS Terminal Services (MSTS)
                  or perhaps even cleaner, configure your Alpha front end to be published as a RemoteApp (almost the same thing as MSTS, without giving people a full additional desktop on the server, inside a window on their workstation).

May need a reasonably grunty server depending on how many MSTS RDP sessions you are handling at once (plus need to buy enough MS user licenses for the server).

The VPN idea might work well with mapped drive, but it depends if your VPN is fast enough in both directions.

Comment

When running T/S, can you print locally? Printing is a high priority in our business. Anywhere from a single page to a 50 page + invoice. Also, we need to be able to save reports as pdf's for emailing to customers. This is being done every day on our LAN.
                    Alpha 5 Version 11
                    DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

printing to the default printer for the workstation is the default - thus you can also print/save to a pdf
                      972 524 8714
                      [email protected]

Comment

Yes you can print to a local printer. With my experience with Server 2008, you had to install the printer driver (for the local printer) onto the remote server, to enable local printing from the RDP session (RemoteApp in my case).

Comment

incorrect
                          that was true for 2003 but not for 2008R2
                          not sure where you are getting your information from
                          972 524 8714
                          [email protected]

Comment

first hand experience

EDIT: can't remember if it was 2008 or 2008R2

Comment

Well - I have 3 clients using Server 2008R2, and have been for a few years, and they all are printing to their desktop default printer. Maybe your version of 2008 R2 is different in Australia. The US version handles it automatically. You don't have to install drivers on the server. But the US version of 2003 did require the drivers.

Just imagine - two countries have different versions of the same program!!
                              972 524 8714
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X