Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A Report Challenge - Printing Three-Section Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Report Challenge - Printing Three-Section Check

I need your help in printing a three-section check for our church. I setup a single table/form expense reimbursement program. A member fills out a reimbursement request form for their purchases. The accounting office enters the data and prints out a check. The check is a single page (letter size) three parts with the check on the top with two voucher sections (middle and bottom). So far so good.

It got a bit complicated when a member purchases three items for three different departments. We currently print three checks for the same member since each transaction must be associated with a department that the purchase was made for. So, in order to save checks (and the hassle of printing multiple checks) we want to print a single check for the total amount to be reimbursed with three different items listed in the two voucher sections (middle one to recipient and bottom one for accounting office).

Easy enough I thought; three purchases are entered as three transactions (as we currently do) except we use the same check number for three transactions. Then I filter by the check number to print the check using a group header to print the top check section (payee, the total group amount, etc.) and use the detail section to list each transactions into the middle voucher section of the check page.

Now the difficult part (at least for me); How do I print the same information that is listed in the detail section (the middle section of the check page) to the bottom third of check page? Also how do I handle the varying size of middle and bottom sections due to varying number of records?

I am clues less as to the solution � your help will save lots of checks. Thanks.

Eugene

Re: A Report Challenge - Printing Three-Section Check

Eugene

You are perplexed because this is a tough report to write.

If you have max number of lines at 3 it's easier.

Otherwise a continuation check is needed.

I handle this type of report by using the html printing option and xbasic functions to generate the html.

For checks I usually work with quickbooks.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Al
      Thanks for your input. You are right about the max number lines. Due to the limited space (about 3.5" per voucher section), we will have to limit the number of transaction at three. At least that would simplify the formatting of the report. I won't ask about html printing since I know nothing about it to ask questions :)

Comment

Use a subreport for the details part. Copy and paste the same subreport to create 2 identical ones, and place one on top of the other. Resize the subreports to the desired size and do not shrink the region for either one.

Comment

G Gabriel
          thank you so much. It works perfectly... Tomorrow I can go to church and boast to accounting office personnel (I'll be sure to mention G Gabriel).
          Blessings

Comment

Originally posted by EYoo View Post
            (I'll be sure to mention G Gabriel).
            Please Don't! I am tapped out.

Comment

Don't worry we won't ask for cash. Just your intellectual insights as our next project is a simple payroll program (California state payroll tax is very complex).

Comment

Hi Eugene,
                Is your 'simple payroll program' going to compute the taxes? Just curious.
                Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Hi Robin,
                  good to know there is a certified alphaholic nearby (I am in South Bay). I have been trying to "roll-my-own" payroll program for awhile but running a small business consumes one's energy. As you well know that the state of CA has so many regulations on payroll and related issues so it was far more efficient to purchase it for the business. Now that I have some time and I am trying to help out our church. It will be computing taxes (I have the tax tables setup for Fed and CA ONLY) but strictly for our unique requirements as a religious organization and ordained pastors. Fortunately I have access to members who are practicing CPAs. If you like, I will keep you posted as to our progress. And we welcome your insights and expertise on the subject. Thanks.

Comment

I tried to get my hands on tax tables but was unable to do so. How did you manage it?
                    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Gabiel, can you explain your suggestion
                      Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                      972 524 8714
                      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
                        Use a subreport for the details part. Copy and paste the same subreport to create 2 identical ones, and place one on top of the other. Resize the subreports to the desired size and do not shrink the region for either one.
                        G

Good suggestion. Works well within the limit of 3 records that Eugene specified.

Now to keep the user to that limit. Usually for me the user decides that the limit is rarely exceeded..... so why can't it handle that exception? But that is another topic.
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD
                        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
                          Gabiel, can you explain your suggestion
                          Martin:
                          Each subreport will function as a details area and in this case, it is repeated twice (same child records) in 2 different parts of the same page to satisfy the need as outlines in this thread.

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post
                          G
                          Good suggestion. Works well within the limit of 3 records that Eugene specified.
                          I would think you should be able to squeeze more than 3 lines. Typically (usual 12 pt font) an 8x11.5 page will have about 65 lines. A third of that is 20 something. Assuming you leave a blank area above and below, you should be able to get say 10 lines or more. I doubt that someone will purchase items for that many departments.
                          But if it is for a different application or scenario, you can have as many line items as you want in a continuation page. But that's a subject for a different thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X