Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Lookup filter when using Barcode Reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookup filter when using Barcode Reader

Hi Guys, I am using a lookup table based on a custom browse on a form. I am using a Barcode Reader to scan & select a product from the lookup table.
    This system is used to test each individual product item within the product table every 6 months. I am trying to find the best way to filter each scanned product to identify whether or not that particular product has been already scanned and tested during each 6 month period. I need this to take place WHILST BEING SCANNED, not when trying to save record etc.
    I need to display a custom message if an "already tested item" is scanned, as I can then add xbasic code to do other things after the message is displayed.
    I have tried using the validation options within the field rules, but that just brings up a default message which I do not want.

Each 6 month period gets a unique Invoice Number assigned to each product tested, so I am using the code below.
    I am currently using this code on the form. I have tried using the code on various events on the form and in the Field rules events, but without success.

tbl = table.current()

if key_exist("invoice_number", alltrim(tbl.INVOICE_NUMBER) + " " + alltrim(tbl.PRODUCT_ID) ) then

cancel()

ui_msg_box("Error", "This Product has already been tested for this period")

end if

Any idea's anyone ?

Re: Lookup filter when using Barcode Reader

Fred,

Please make a screencast using the free version of Jing to show us the exact sequence you're facing. Jing is available at the Techsmith website.

Next tell us how invoice numbers are re-assigned to the products each 6 months.

Next tell us if scanning a product is the same thing as testing a product. If not tell us how they're different.

It's not clear to me why this is happening while the user is doing a lookup. It sounds like you want to use the scanner to get a product id and then use the id to do a lookup. And, then, take one path if the record is already there, and another if its not. You don't need to do a field rules table lookup to do this. Or, am I missing something? If so, tell me what you mean by a lookup and a lookup filter.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 07-20-2014, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Hi Tom, got a lot of client info in this so no can do mate regarding Jing.

Regarding generating the invoice numbers, I am simply looking at todays date and if it falls between 2 dates, then the invoice number is set accordingly. This all works just fine.
      What I mean by scanning is using the barcode reader to identify a product. The product information relating to the scanned barcode is displayed on screen where the client can tick field boxes to indicate whether or not the item has passed the safety regulations relating to that item.
      On clicking my save button a record is written to another table which is basically a store for the test results.
      Everything is working just fine, but all I am trying to do is stop duplicate records being created, but I need to display my own message in xbasic when the client scans a barcode which has already been scanned. (ie. meaning the product has already been safety tested).
      As the invoice_number for all products tested lets say for July will have the same invoice number, and as each product_id has a unique product ref, I thought I could use the code above to bring up a message. As I said before, I have tried using the validation options in field rules, but as I have an alternative Product Search option, when the duplicate product is scanned, I get the default alpha 5 message box appearing, and this is not what I want. I need my message box appearing on screen.

Fred

Comment

Still not clear on all details.

However, if the table used as store for the test results has an index based on the invoice number and product id code couldn't your save button check to see if the current product has already been stored (i.e. in the store table)?

if so, why not have your script use one of the lookup() functions? or roll your own, by scripting an indexed find by key?

Comment

Hi Tom, the problem I have is that I need to STOP the user doing the test (if it had been done already) otherwise the user would not realise this until they tried to save the record. I need my message to appear as soon as the barcode has been scanned.

Fred

Comment

Fred, this is why an example or screencast would assist us in helping you. data entry sequences are difficult to describe in words.

What happens when the product id is scanned? Be specific. Describe what happens on screen and what the user does with mouse or keyboard.

- tom

Comment

Hi Tom, the LOOKUP field is the field in focus on entering this form. The user then selects product for testing. They then swipe the barcode and the product information is then displayed from the Product database. The fields that will be modified are in another joined table.
              Using a barcode scanner is exactly the same as typing in a barcode number. We are using 4 or 6 digit barcode Tags. example 123456

I will send you a PM so you can download it Tom.

Comment

if key_exist("invoice_number", alltrim(tbl.INVOICE_NUMBER) + " " + alltrim(tbl.PRODUCT_ID) ) then
                You speak of while the item is being scanned but before the record is saved. This line checks the field values in the current table record which have not changed if the record is not saved. Perhaps you want to reference the form object values rather then the table values?

if key_exist("invoice_number", alltrim(INVOICE_NUMBER_object_name.value) + " " + alltrim(PRODUCT_ID_object_name.value) ) then
                There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                X