Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

First time to development of a desktop app for a network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time to development of a desktop app for a network

Hi guys ,
    as the title , I need your help to implement my desktop roject for a network.
    My client now have another person that work with him and he need to have into another computer the same desktop application that I have wrote for him ( so from a single user to multiuser) ( the application was created with version 11 )

I read the Runtime documentation and I am more confused than before:
    In this documentation is wrote that I need to create a Bootstrap application, but my question is this:
    This bootstrap application I have to write into my project or I have to write a new project with an bootstrap file ?

The SHADOW DATABASE is necessary or is this bootstrap app that install the shadow database into the second computer ?

Please could anyone help me to understand how to work ?

Thank you
    Last edited by Cristiano; 08-19-2014, 07:38 AM.
    Cristiano
    [email protected]

Re: First time to development of a desktop app for a network

Hi,

This may help. http://forum.applicationallstars.com....php?f=19&t=73 I placed this here and another place where they got gone, so now it is here.

I really don't expect you to need a shadow for 2 users at all. install runtime on second computer and have it access the work files. If you have any issues, shadowed may be needed.

Actually, I would put both users on runtime, but up to you.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Cristiano

Does this client have a server that both users have access to?

If so, I would use a remote desktop connection and have both users remotely connect to the server and use the application on the server.

Much cleaner and easier.

Windows remote desktop connection or TSPlus are a couple of options.

prego
      Al Buchholz
      Bookwood Systems, LTD
      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Forget the bootstrap unless you cannot attend the installation.
        Load the database on a server or a PC. This will be the data area.
        Load Runtime on the two PCs.
        Start the Runtime and point at the data area.
        You can connect to the application now.

If you want to create a Shadow - which is just the application WITHOUT the data being held locally, when you start RunTime, you will becgiven the option.

To recap.
        Your application sits on a PC or Server which you can get at.
        RT sits on each users PC.
        RT allows access to the data in your application, either by connecting and uploading all forms and processes, or in Shadow mode, only moving the data.
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

When you get into several users(I would any over 3), then I would shadow the app to keep some of the load off the server unit. 2 or 3 users should not need shadowed.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Just to weigh in here, I totally agree with Dave's approach. Having gone through this with a big installation a few years back I learned the hard way. I thought it was going to be a small app, but it grew and grew and so did the users and the space between them. Finally I had 100 users all needing access to various parts of the application, i.e. billing, accounting, time management, etc.

Set your system up as Dave suggests, a server, with everyone else using a shadow database with Runtime. Data access will be much quicker that way and you can, from the server, backup everything each night or whenever you need to.

In my app, I used remote desktop to access the server from home, build new sections, correct coding problems and finally run off-hours routines, such as cleaning dbf's and backing up.

Definitely the way to go.

Charlie

Comment

Hi Guys,

I have problem again with my first network. First of all I want to explain in which kind of lan do I have to work :

First computer is a windows 7 with a RT and my app, this computer is connected with wireless to a router .

The second computer is also a windows 7 connected also in wireless to the router (I know, I would have preferred 1 Server and 2 coputer but the budget was small)

This is my steps to create my app visible on both the computers:
              from the first computer I shared the folder with my app with the permissions to read / write for the second computer.
              From the second computer I have installed a second RT but if I try to open the file that is in the shared folder where is my app I cannot open and after 2 second the RT comes out.
              I think is correct this way to open the same app from two computer.
              I want to tell you, also,that the the Runtime on the first computer is set up to work with 2 licenses because I assumed that this customer would have purchase a second licence.

Do you have Idea why I cannot open with a RT from the second computer my app ?
              The version of RT in both the computers is the same.
              Do you think that the problem is in the first RT, or rather in the autoexec file that goes to check how many copies of the app is open?

I appreciate any suggestion
              Cristiano
              [email protected]

Comment

Cristiano

See post #3
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD
                Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Thanks Alan, but ...

maybe I'm not explained well the problem.

do not exist a REAL Server. They exist only 2 computer, one that look the other.

I read from the documentation from the RT that there are 2 way to make a multi user application :
                  Using network optimization and not using network optimization.

I would like use the second solution because it seems more easy and also because in the first way I do not understand if shadows database goes only in the second computer; and then for my case the first computer is like it was a Server and he have already an RT installed.

This project started about one year ago, and in this project worked one person only, now the business is more bigger and this company he have decided to take another person working with another computer and this second person need to have access to the app that is in stored physically into the first computer but with folder shared with read/write permissions to the second computer

Thanks for other suggestions
                  Cristiano
                  [email protected]

Comment

On the 2nd computer, did you try to map the drive to the directory where the app resides on the 1st computer? This will make the 1st computer look like a server to the 2nd computer. On the 2nd computer you can then shadow the tables or not. But your shadow directory should be a subdirectory of the RT program. I just tried it with a RT for v10 and it worked fine.
                    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

install the runtime on the second computer and create a shortcut to the adb file where the database is installed. When the user double clicks the shortcut, it will open the application. It is like opening a word document on a shared folder from two different computers.

So if you browse from the second computer to the folder that has the application, look for the applicationname.adb and right click create shortcut on desktop. It really is very easy.
                      Creating Healthcare Work-Flow Solutions Since 2005

Comment

Hi and thanks to everybody,

finally I have created this network(or better the codivision of app).

My error was born on the first time when I have created 1 app for 1 person and before generating the executable file I have used this words on the autoexec file :

if a5_check_throttle_file() = .f. then
                        a5.close()
                        end if

and when I tried to open this app with the second RT on the second computer, this app it was closed.

But my question now is this: how I have to use the throttle Runtime user count if in a future , perhaps, my customer will need more licence of the app ?

Thanks for suggestions and idea to accomplish that
                        Cristiano
                        [email protected]

Comment

Put the number of users allowed in the Throttle User Count parameter.
                          See our Hybrid Option here;
                          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X