Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Very large and very small numbers into variable field on the form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very large and very small numbers into variable field on the form

How can be entered very large and very small numbers on variable filed on the form. For example -9 999 999 999.99(negative) or 9 999 999 999.99(positive) if the only setup of the variable field is format stayle ","(123,4456.78).
    No way ("in normal world").

How you can recreate this issue :

- create form
    - create 2 number variables("nNumber1" and "nNumber2")
    - drag those 2 variables on the form
    - setup on them only format style to be "," (123,4456.78) and 15 for a width and 2 for decimals (width doesn't matter, you can put it 25, behavior is the same)
    - run the form
    - enter in first variable field some very small(negative) number -999,999,999.99 (negative number with 2 decimal)
    (you'll notice that you can't do that)
    The same is with very large positive numbers 9,999,999,999.99
    - BUT YOU CAN

- push the enter button to leave from that field to second and than go back to the first by mouse click on it and try again, and VOALA. IT'S WORKING.

What is the problem here. We have a large bookkeeping app. And it is working with some 20+ firms with over 100 users (computers) around 1 year. No one notice that until last week, when starting at the end of the annual audit business (there are of course major figures in circulation, positive or negative). Than this come up.

Is there any SOLUTION.

I can't simply say my client : "in first attempt enter any number and than go back end enter the second time the required number"

I create BUG REPORT but nobody answer me.
    Not a word. Is it my error or bug. Very unprofessional from Alpha.
    If they do not fix old version than they can say, i understand it. Simply not a word from them.

By the way I have the latest patch for alpha v11 and it's running on the windows 7. I try the same on the v12 of alpha and it is the same problem there.
    Last edited by draganksg; 10-08-2014, 01:37 AM.
    Dragan Milosavljevic
    ITPartner

[email protected]
    http://www.itpartner.rs

Re: Can't enter very large(possitive) and very small(negative) numbers into variable field on the form

Variable Formatting.PNG
    variables.PNG

Dragan, it really does work. See attached.

1st, create the variable as Numeric
    2nd, select the variable - NOT variable and label, just the right hand element
    3rd, select Properties and change the Format INCLUDING the width of the field.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Re: Can't enter very large(possitive) and very small(negative) numbers into variable field on the form

Ted thank you for you time but,

you're not paying attention on my post.

First I'm not a beginner in Alpha, I know how to set up properties on field or variable field. And metod you sugested IS NOT WORKING as well.

Maybe you didn't understand me because english is not my native language.

Problem is not with smal positive and negative numbers, but with the large ones like 1 234 567 890, 15 or negative -1 234 567 890,15 .

Two problems : one the whole number can't feet and second the decimal can't be entered.
      Dragan Milosavljevic
      ITPartner

[email protected]

Comment

Yes I was paying attention Dragan, and it's not a language problem.
        When you create a variable, 19 is the maximum number of digits.
        When you change the format, it goes back to 12,2 so I suggest you recheck the values in the format field before saving.
        Take out the formatting and set it as None, then redo the field lengths again.

Comment

Ok,ok I know that the max number is 19.

And also I know that when I change format it goes to 12,2.

And when I remove format I can't enter number like -999 999 999.99 because the second decimal is blocked. BUT if I leave variable field and come back the second decimal is available for entering.

I sugested to try yourself this way I presented to you. And you'll agree with me that this is unusual behavior.

Again I thank you for the time and effort.
          Dragan Milosavljevic
          ITPartner

[email protected]

Comment

Re: Very large and very small numbers into variable field on the form

variable Formatting1.PNG
            Nope, cannot replicate what you have.
            Try this setting. I can enter 999999999.99 and -999999999.99 in the fields.

Comment

Of course positive number 999 999 999,99 can be entered with both decimals, BUT negative only with 1 decimal, second decimal is not available until I leave and get back to field.

But if you setup 14,2 I expect that could enter number like 1 111 111 111,11 or 1 234 567 890,15 10 or 11 nubers and 2 decimals but we can't.

Even it is preset 12,2 it means that we could enter 10 figures and 2 decimals, somethig like 1 111 111 111,11 . And we can't do that.
              Dragan Milosavljevic
              ITPartner

[email protected]

Comment

I see what you mean now. Closing the form and re-entering data drops the decimals.
                If the data is coming from a table, could you use a calculated field instead?
                I will investigate further this end.

Edit
                You are stuck with 14 digits no matter what the setting says. The 14 includes the - and the . so in the positive numbers you can have 13 plus a decimal, in negatives, 12 plus a decimal and minus sign.
                Also, I cannot get the Accounting Format to work on a variable.

Look at the variable in the IW (?variable_name) and you will see that the decimals are not present in the bigger numbers.

Yes, it appears to be a restriction on the variable format so changing the length has no effect.
                Last edited by Ted Giles; 10-08-2014, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Even it is preset 12,2 it means that we could enter 10 figures and 2 decimals,
                  nope
                  it will be 9 before the dot 2 after the dot
                  would you be willing to set the variable as character and enter the numerical data and work on that.
                  you could possibly enter up to 40 characters if you wish.
                  thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                  mysql backend
                  http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                  [email protected]
                  1 914 924 5171

Comment

That looks like the only solution I could come up with too, G.
                    The data may be coming from a table, in which case it will be relatively easy to manipulate.

Comment

Thank you Ted and GGandhi for your time and effort but,

in my accounting application I have 300+ form and it would be enormous job to switch variable fields from numeric variables to character variables + change of code.

Furthermore it is not a god solution to the problem instead of it, it's a way around. And that is not always a smart way to go. I always prefer solutions of problems instead of way around.

Thanks again.

I'll wait for some solution from Alpha staff or eny other member of this forum.
                      Dragan Milosavljevic
                      ITPartner

[email protected]

Comment

Try mailing [email protected] or look up Jerry Brightbill at Alpha. They may have some ideas.

Comment

Another reply.
                          If you are dealing in Billions, then surely the pennies of cents are irrelevant?
                          Also, how were you planning for this to work? If the variables are already on the forms, you may be stuck with them unless you change them. All 300+ forms.
                          If you are calling a variable which has been dimmed elsewhere are you hoping to just do one change?

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                            If you are dealing in Billions, then surely the pennies of cents are irrelevant?
                            I am sure that in your state tax evasion is a criminal offense as well as in mine state. So pennies count.
                            And about changing 300+ forms, I'm sure do not plan to change all of them.
                            I still hope that this is just a bug.
                            Last edited by draganksg; 10-08-2014, 03:34 PM.
                            Dragan Milosavljevic
                            ITPartner

[email protected]

Comment

Any bugs in V11 are no longer being addressed so if it is, we're stuck with it.
                              There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                              X