Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Auto Increment - Does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Increment - Does it work?

I have tried everything I can think of to get an AI field to reset to the next number in the series. I duplicated the table records only, no FRULS, indexes or layouts, then emptied and packed the original table after removing all its indexes and appended the temp to it in recno() order. And it still won't give me the next number which should be 53 - instead I get 90. Where is that coming from??? Is this a record number hidden somewhere in the registry or what?
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Re: Auto Increment - Does it work?

Looking at linked posts, I have a question: Should I use increment_value(previous("same field")) for a default value or a calculated value in field rules? Or does it make a difference? I have a need to keep the series intact and if a record is deleted it will screw up the numbers...

What I am doing is saving bitmaps to a table that has a sortkey field [IMGNO] that can be reordered for display purposes and another field [LVLCLS] that should never be changed so I can find the correct bitmap for my Toolbox menu. Another calculated field [LVLOPN] is dependent upon the value in LVLCLS.

Adding bitmaps to the table puts them out of order for display so I may want to renumber the sortkey field but not change the others. Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by MoGrace; 02-05-2015, 08:46 PM. Reason: more info
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Just a guess. It may being stored in the adb. try doing a database compact.
      Tim Kiebert
      Eagle Creek Citrus
      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Robin,
        I have never had a problem with numeric AI fields. I have removed field rules, emptied the tables on occasion, packed the tables, removed indexes, reset the next in line number and reset the field to ai. Maybe not doing all that every time.
        Always compacted the adb though.

The way I understood is that ai always goes to the next record in the table, regardless of the number.
        I can't speak for character. I do not use them
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Try packing the table.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

@Peter
            I did pack the table when I emptied it. So far setting the default value to increment_value() the same field seems to be working.

@Tim
            I did not try compacting the whole database, just the table after I deleted the indexes. Its worth a shot.

@Dave
            I know you love numeric fields, but I don't! The other field that does a calculation with that field needs to be character, so it made sense at the time...
            Robin

Comment

Its easy to explain why you are getting 90 instead of 53. You have a 2-character auto-increment field with values manually populated going from 1-52 and the next AI number in sequence IS 90. If your field length was 3, the next number would instead be 900, and so on. A character AI always increments to the character next value higher than the highest value in the table. 52 is NOT your highest character value, "9 " is your highest value; and "10" is not higher than "9 ". An AI always fills the entire field with characters when it fires.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

IF you have to use characters start with "001" or similar then AI works fine
                Bob
                Bob Whitaker

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                  Its easy to explain why you are getting 90 instead of 53. You have a 2-character auto-increment field with values manually populated going from 1-52 and the next AI number in sequence IS 90. If your field length was 3, the next number would instead be 900, and so on. A character AI always increments to the character next value higher than the highest value in the table. 52 is NOT your highest character value, "9 " is your highest value; and "10" is not higher than "9 ". An AI always fills the entire field with characters when it fires.
                  See now there is a reason I can accept! I have other char AI fields and I do pad them with leading "0" and they work fine, but this one is needed sometimes as numeric and sometimes as char so I didn't do that here. Thanks Steve.

It makes sense that this field should be numeric and now I get to change all the scripts that use it.
                  Robin

Comment

this one is needed sometimes as numeric and sometimes as char
                    That's what the val() function is designed to do. You store it as character and sometimes, when you need the numerical equivalent, you val() it.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

and str() to take to character?
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

That's what I am doing now, but I was thinking I ought to change the field type. However the default value using the auto_increment() function seems to be working Ok, so I haven't yet.

I set up my display bitmap list to allow substitutions without changing the LVLCSL value or additions, but no deletions. That way the user can't disturb the series.

However, I may need to increase the field size now that it is closer to reaching 100 than I first expected...
                        Last edited by MoGrace; 02-06-2015, 02:01 PM.
                        Robin

Comment

Working...
                        X