Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Month and Day only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Month and Day only

Is it possible to format a date field so only the month and day values need to be used as opposed to entering the month, day and year? Thus the year is automatically entered based on the current year.
    Last edited by forskare; 07-05-2015, 09:11 PM.
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Re: Month and Day only

Ken,
    I don't know your usage here, but if you create a date field in a table, place it on a form. When you enter the date and month, then leave the field, it will default to current year.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding. My customer only wants to enter the month and day, such as 0121 without having to use a '/' or a '-' or a '.'. They say they can enter dates in their A4 app that way. as a side note, do you know if A4 can be used on an intranet so more than one user can use it at a time? I don't think it's possible but......

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken, it has been so long since I even looked at a4 and have nothing to run it anyhow.
        Do not remember about 2 users on 2 computers.
        in a5 if I type 0121 and leave the field, I think it will give 01/21/2015, but I do not remember in a4

Maybe a thread in the a4 area of the forum would get a good response?
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Kenn, not much back ground information to go on here, but, I ran A4 networked for years. I seem to remember the server was win 2000 with win XP machines. You said intranet, if you meant internet, depending on your operating systems and computer hardware available, Remote Desktop connection could work.
          Alpha 5 Version 11
          AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
          DBF's and MySql
          Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

After reading the responses, it's almost to the point to where they will need 2 computer systems if A4 is to be used by 2 people on 2 linked computers. One for A4 only and one for the modern world. It's just not going to work without a lot of issues. Even if it were to be a breeze to do, there is no way to link with the outside world and at some point there will be a need for their employees to have connections via mobile devices. When the time comes for mobile devices, I suppose the units in the field will need to access forms (desktop) by by an internet connection or if mobile, the grids will need to be used.

Comment

I'm here to tell you A4.5 absolutely works on a network with multiple users.
              I've been too lazy to update the app that has been working all this time.

For newer apps, I am up to V11, for myself, I am still playing with alpha anywhere.

Last but not least, I would think a 4 digit input field for dates is absolutely doable.
              It would help more to see what they're used to doing, but I don't see why it can't be done.
              Gregg
              https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Just tried to enter a date as e.g. 1212 in a standard 'type in' field and it defaulted to 12/12/15 which is what you're looking for? The field will accept practically any valid format for a date e.g. 12/12/15, 12/12, 121215, 1212 and will automatically add separators as data is entered.

If your customer needs/wants/insists on running A4 and A5 on the same PC then you'll probably need to introduce some sort of virtual machine into the mix. I've done this for one customer who wanted to continue to use his Access 2.0 application on his (then new) Windows 7 system. Suggest lots of RAM (minimum 8Gb) and a 64bit base operating system.

Comment

Right..but what if you enter 11 in the date field?
                  Is that January First 2015?
                  Or is it November with no day entry? !
                  And for more fun:
                  What if you enter 111 ?
                  Is that January 11? Or is it November 1?
                  It is November 1 st.
                  This means, alpha needs at least 3 digits, will interpret the first 2 as month and the remaining as day.
                  So, what do you do if you just want to enter January 1st? i.e. 11?
                  You enter 1 space 1

Comment

based on the info from Ken, the date would be entered as mmdd.
                    Gregg

Comment

Right..but how you enter jan 1?
                      0101?
                      That's one way..an easier way is 1 space 1

Comment

mmdd standard is and has been numbers only.
                        The thinking is that someone other than the person that entered it
                        will know what the person meant (excluding typos) when it was entered.

BTW...that numeric keypad on the right side of most keyboards makes 0101 easier than 1 1.
                        Gregg

Comment

I guess I am the only one in the world who does not use that keypad. Mathematically speaking..I thought entering 3 keystrokes is less work than entering 4 ..but ..not in Colorado.

Comment

Entering just the month and day works on the DT but not on grids. Using the numbers key pad is faster entering 0101 than the numbers at the top of the keyboard. If one is adept at using the numbers keypad, it'll beat the numbers at the top of the keyboard, hands down, every single time. If you've ever watched a person us an adding machine, the speed is amazing. That said, I'm not one of those with that talent so I pokey doke along with the numbers at the top. Slow but sure. Well, sorta.

Comment

Entering just the month and day works on the DT but not on grids
                              in order to work in desktop, alpha pitched in for you and did the coding for a date field. in the grid, I would think you will have write in onChange event of that field to supply whatever default values you want.
                              edit: I did test it, while it works in the onChange event, it has circular reference if you set the field to correct value. probably need to doin a different method.
                              Last edited by GGandhi; 07-14-2015, 06:38 AM.
                              thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                              mysql backend
                              http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                              [email protected]
                              1 914 924 5171

Comment

Working...
                              X