Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

User App Version Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: User App Version Updates

From post 1 of this thread.

Originally posted by Gene FitzPatrick View Post

There would be no changes in the DBF structures but likely changes in the scripts, forms and in-line basic.
    Originally posted by preston2 View Post
    ???????????????

If I am reading this right then they will be right back to where they started before any update and without the update.
    Since there is not change to the data structure, this would work.

I would merely update all of the files except .dbf, .fpt, .cdx

Unless there is a change to the index structure, then send out .cdx files for tables with index changes.

For good measure, I would reindex all of the tables at the end of the process.

Nothing like clean indices to start the day off right.

Gene, so your users do no modification of the system on their own... ?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post
      From post 1 of this thread.

Since there is not change to the data structure, this would work.

I would merely update all of the files except .dbf, .fpt, .cdx

Unless there is a change to the index structure, then send out .cdx files for tables with index changes.

For good measure, I would reindex all of the tables at the end of the process.

Nothing like clean indices to start the day off right.

Gene, so your users do no modification of the system on their own... ?
      Al, if you change anything that is stored in the database library files, database dictionary files or set files and then overwrite them with any backup files from before the update then you are right back to where you started before any update. This is what I read he is thinking of doing which would result in nothing getting updated.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene FitzPatrick View Post

I have added a 'Backup' button to my user utilities form that only backs up their data files (DBF, FPT, CDX).

I read this as the back only has the three file types in it. So how is this over writing the structure files if they are not in the backup?

Al, if you change anything that is stored in the database library files, database dictionary files or set files and then overwrite them with any backup files from before the update then you are right back to where you started before any update. This is what I read he is thinking of doing which would result in nothing getting updated.
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

My mistake Al, I read it as backing up all files except the data files.

This is fine unless you made changes to a table structure.

Still backing up only the data files, index files and FTP files is a recipe for disaster.

Backup everything for safe keeping, apply the updates and DO NOT copy the data files back in is the best solution and the one I have used for years without any issues. Just me I guess..

Comment

My mistake Al, I read it as backing up all files except the data files.

This is fine unless you made changes to a table structure.

Still backing up only the data files, index files and FTP files is a recipe for disaster.

Backup everything for safe keeping, apply the updates and DO NOT copy the data files back in is the best solution and the one I have used for years without any issues. Just me I guess..
            Personally I create a complete backup prior to significant changes.

But what is described would work.

I prefer the belt and suspenders approach. Have 2 ways of recovering because one way will fail in the most inconvenient time.
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Albert Einstein

Comment

To all,

I found a simple solution that is working for me and thought I would post it.

1. Define the parameters for backup to backup ONLY the database files. Then uncheck those that are tied to the form on which I have a one-step backup call. This form is tied to a blank dbf that never has anything written to it. I also uncheck the dbf's that relate to the passwords and licensing information. This backup file MUST BE IN A LOCATION OTHER THAN THEIR APPLICATION DIRECTORY.

2. Provide instructions for the user to backup their data ( which only includes the DBF's that I checked in step one ) prior to the installation.

3. After the backup, remove the application from their system.

4. Install the new version of the application (which is a full install).

5. Restore the backup.

This preserves the user data while allowing an update to the license and passwords.

I hope this helps.

Gene FitzPatrick

Comment

>> I send updates daily. Usually they are zipped where the knowledgeable clients unzip in a clean folder and copy to the production folder.

Is there a fix for the other clients? I post a zip file with all required changes, but the ladies are doing heavy lifting to simply get the zip on their desktop. The contents need to be copied into X:\A5v11\Archives, but X can be C or D or E.

Comment

With some programming, It can be done.

set the zip file on a web server in a folder for download(always named the same is easiest, download by ftp from within the alpha app, unzip using alpha to an empty folder and then copy contents to data path.

It will take some work, but can be done.

Alternative:
                  Use a free to 70.00 installer. It will create a .exe like update.exe. Then similar scenario, when they start the exe, they choose where to install the files or run a button on alpha app that will start the update.exe with a switch for the data folder.

Lots of ways here. Others will pipe in for they can click a button and the update comes off the web page somewhere, but the principle is similar either way.

Most of us have gone past using drive letters like g:\path to a better way of \\servername\path that is documented. There are many threads on here to give some ideas and a few actually have code.
                  Last edited by DaveM; 10-05-2015, 08:32 PM.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Nothing like putting the brain in gear :-) So far I have

Code:
                    zname = ui_get_file("Copy new files FROM:","Zips(*.Zip)","","X")
                    ? zname
                    = "G:\Archives\newfiles.zip"

tname=a5.get_path()
                    ? tname
                    = "e:\A5V11\Archives"

unzip_files(zname,*.*,tname,T)
                    ERROR: Expected value
                    I don't see anything odd in newfiles.zip. Is it syntax again?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi, Sandy.

that 'T' in the fourth parameter looks wrong. Should that be '.T.' ?

-- tom

Comment

Yes, the Help editor likes .T. better. But I still get "ERROR: Expected value."

I thought the empty folders might be a problem, but the error is the same without the empties.

Comment

Probably

unzip_files(zname,"*.*",tname,".T.")
                          There can be only one.

Comment

And the winner is...

unzip_files(zname,"*.*",tname,.T.)

Thanks, guys

Comment

This script usually works, but there is an error on some systems with different directory structure. My OS is on D: and the Alpha 5 app is E:\A5v11\Archives. No error on the C:\D: laptop either. I'm still waiting for verbatim reports of the error, but the script seems to be looking for my pathing on other's system.

Where to look for the odd pathing? I believe all systems have X:\A5v11\Archives although X varies.

Code:
                              zname = ui_get_file("Copy new files FROM:","Zips(*.Zip)","","X")
                              IF zname = "" THEN
                              	END
                              END IF
                              tname=a5.get_path()

unzip_files(zname,"*.*",tname,.T.)

ui_msg_box("Status", "  All done!")
                              END

Comment

Working...
                              X