Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Cannot find file in Roaming folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot find file in Roaming folder

Customer is on a v11 desktop system with lots of shadowed users, been using it for years of course. Starting this morning, many of them are getting this error at load:

Error Loading C:\USERS\MYNAME\APPDATA\ROAMING\ALPHASOFTWARE\ALPHA FIVE VERSION 11\zzlaunch.DBF: the system cannot find the file specified.

There's a bit more but mostly a repeat.

zzLaunch.dbf is the first DBF called where our menu forms are held. Further, we have a startup script that's on the main menu form's OnInit event that isn't getting called.

This isn't the case for every user, but many of them.

I quizzed them about Windows updates, network changes, etc. and nothing we know of particularly. And even if it is Windows updates, I don't know what to do about that. At this point, major operations have ground to a halt.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Re: Cannot find file in Roaming folder

Hi Steve,
    I never saw that exact error. Maybe others have.
    but:
    Sounds like a network issue from here.
    switches, routers, wiring, permissions changed, etc.
    all users affected is probably not a windows update unless it was the server.
    Possible virus software change or even a virus.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

If you look for the file manually is it missing?

Comment

With shadow, the local dbf at 1k may show up. On search of the server, the real dbf may show up. If there is a problem in between, rt may not be able to see the server file thus the local fake dbf is useless.

That is what it seems to me.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

You may try to delete the C:\USERS\MYNAME\APPDATA\ROAMING\ALPHASOFTWARE\ALPHA FIVE VERSION 11 folder. (Please make backup before). Alpha Five will recreate the files. May be is is a question of ACL / user access list? I am irritated because of the file type, thinking they are rather in the temporary directory or in the shadow directory.

Cornelius

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Workings View Post
            Customer is on a v11 desktop system with lots of shadowed users, been using it for years of course. Starting this morning, many of them are getting this error at load:

Error Loading C:\USERS\MYNAME\APPDATA\ROAMING\ALPHASOFTWARE\ALPHA FIVE VERSION 11\zzlaunch.DBF: the system cannot find the file specified.

There's a bit more but mostly a repeat.

zzLaunch.dbf is the first DBF called where our menu forms are held. Further, we have a startup script that's on the main menu form's OnInit event that isn't getting called.

This isn't the case for every user, but many of them.

I quizzed them about Windows updates, network changes, etc. and nothing we know of particularly. And even if it is Windows updates, I don't know what to do about that. At this point, major operations have ground to a halt.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
            Steve,

We ran into something similar several years ago. While I don't recall the cause of the problem, we were able to get around it by changing the shadow folder on every workstation to C:\Shadow. This avoids any user permission issues. The added benefit is there is only one shadow folder on each workstation, regardless of the number of users who may login.

Hope this helps

Comment

I like Tim's idea best. The local alpha can't "see" the shadow database. Why ? Who knows ?

I think it's unlikely, but long ago I saw something similar in a case where the user had created the shadow on the server, and then when alpha tried to start the database the path failed because it was running on the server but thought it was a shadow.

Comment

After another day of this, watching more machines get this problem, customer is pretty sure it's related to Windows updates. As each computer gets a new update they lose A5 functionality because of this.

Local shadows, on every machine, are on c:\a5\shadow, just a small variation from what Tim and Tom suggest here.
                -Steve
                sigpic

Comment

all my shadows are on c:\alda\nameofapp so same settings as yours
                  only thing I may have different is that RT is in c:\alda and not in program files.
                  also the my clients are installed from an installer and only get what I send so alpha installer "and where it puts stuff" is never run on their machines.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Turning out to be quite a fun Friday the 13th with Windows updates. I had to re-set all my remote desktop connections after this morning's update. Another customer had a Zebrahost server go dark when the server didn't quite restart after an update - had to ask Jason to restart the machine as I could not get to it. And so it goes.
                    -Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

Some days are better, I hope.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Solved. Turns out that at the same time as the Windows update, the .ADB got munged. Not really sure about cause and effect here but heckuva coincidence.

So, when the workspace was opened by users, the form to be loaded at startup wasn't there. If you're an experienced Alpha user you know the method we used this morning to start the database without the startup form (for security, not saying it here) and we discovered that the database had import objects and a full code tab, but nothing else. So, with no table that held the startup form, voila, error. The error message definitely mis-led all of us including some corporate IT guys.

Added in the .dbfs and .sets again, and with the ADB contents back in place, all is well.

Customer and I say thanks to everyone who pitched in.
                        -Steve
                        sigpic

Comment

Steve .... I know this is an old thread, but I have been struggling with an issue .... things are getting corrupted and I haven't been able to figure out when its happening. First time it was .ADB .... second time a form ... definitely some weird stuff and have started thinking it might be related to the roaming profile. Did you ever figure out what corrupted your .ADB?

Thanks!!

Glenn

Comment

Steve,

We just had the same issue here yesterday morning. Our main database "Calls" another database, and we got the error.

...and, yes, the "called" database had code, but no tables. we restored the .ADB, .ALM, etc. from backup and all was better.

Thank goodness for backups.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                            X