Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha version conflict???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha version conflict???

I have an upset beta tester on my hands. Help!!

He has been using A5V10 for some time and now, when he installs my application which is A5V11 based, he sees

1. an indication that files are being removed from his system.

This is something I do not see when I do an install on my laptop which is running no other A5 versions.

2. He gets the following error when trying to open any of his A5V10 OR A5V11 based applications.
    ?Cannot open Ole a5contexteval.contexteval11???

This is the third time in a row that he has had to rebuild his system.

My application is a single EXE install with the A5V11 files in a sub-directory. The path is C:\[application name]\system\A5v11\...

Is this a problem?

Will A5V10 based applications run on A5V11?

Does Alpha removed older versions of A5 when installing an updated version?

Do I need to inform any potential users that their older version(s) of Alpha and potentially any of their existing applications may stop working if they install my application?
    THAT WOULD BE A SHOW STOPPER FOR ME AND ANYONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!

Gene

Re: Alpha version conflict???

There is no conflict between v10 & v11. I have both and more running at the same time on my machine w/o any conflict. It's not an issue. Alpha doesn't remove, (nor need to) the previous version on a new install. Not sure why your user is having a problem. But when you say "My application is a single EXE install with the A5V11 files in a sub-directory" if that works on your machine I suppose it's okay, but generally I would let Alpha install in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder and put the data files somewhere else. You need to investigate. I suspect your install routine is faulty.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Gene, let me add that while many A5v10 based applications will run under A5v11, in a business environment the better practice is to use the runtime corresponding to the version that built the app. Same version, and same build within that version. -- tom

Comment

are you sure he has installed the application and v12 runtime as an administrator?

I have one client running v7, v10 and v12 apps on the same computer(lan) at the same time foe diff reasons, so I am sure there is not a real conflict. I have v7, v8 v10.5, v11 and v12 running here on the same computer.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

He has been using A5V10 for some time and now, when he installs my application which is A5V11 based, he sees Runtime or Developer?

1. an indication that files are being removed from his system. See comments below.

This is something I do not see when I do an install on my laptop which is running no other A5 versions.

2. He gets the following error when trying to open any of his A5V10 OR A5V11 based applications. I have seen this on some Win 7 Machines if using the "Run as Administrator" to register theses files.

My application is a single EXE install with the A5V11 files in a sub-directory. The path is C:\[application name]\system\A5v11\... What are you using to make the exe installer?

Is this a problem?

Will A5V10 based applications run on A5V11? Yes.

Does Alpha removed older versions of A5 when installing an updated version? No but on some Win 7 machines the OS will unregister some of the A5 prior version files, rare but can happen. There a solution though.

Do I need to inform any potential users that their older version(s) of Alpha and potentially any of their existing applications may stop working if they install my application?
          THAT WOULD BE A SHOW STOPPER FOR ME AND ANYONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!

Gene
          Ok, If the beta tester is using the V10.5 runtime then there is no reason his V10.5 app cannot run under the V11 runtime. To my knowledge, V11 did not remove any V10.5 functions.

As for your installer removing some of his files. This can only happen if your installer is installing files in the same location as some of his other files and you have told your installer to overwrite the files. So it does not actually remove any but just overwrites them.

As for registering the required ocx and dll file, I have my installer do that and set the flag for "do not unregister". This eliminates the need to run the app at least once to register those files.

My other suggestion is both of you download Teamviewer. With this you can connect to his computer remotely and see what is going on when he installs your app.

Comment

One/Some were missing in a bat file I got and I don't remember which version. Adjust as you need.
            regsvr32 /s c:\alda12\Codejock.PropertyGrid.v11.1.3.ocx
            regsvr32 /s c:\alda12\Codejock.ReportControl.v11.1.3.ocx
            regsvr32 /s c:\alda12\Codejock.SuiteCtrls.v11.1.3.ocx
            regsvr32 /s c:\alda12\Codejock.TaskPanel.v11.1.3.ocx
            regsvr32 /s c:\alda12\a5controlsproxy.dll
            regsvr32 /s c:\alda12\a5contextevalproxy.dll
            regsvr32 /s c:\alda12\XBasicActiveScriptingproxy.dll
            Preston is showing the same, but your bat file may be missing the one for this. a5contexteval.contexteval11
            The /s means to run silent
            c:\alda12 was necessary in this particular install or I can run them from my installer(normally do).
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

He has been using A5V10 for some time and now, when he installs my application which is A5V11 based, he sees Runtime or Developer? I DO NOT KNOW.

1. an indication that files are being removed from his system. See comments below.

2. He gets the following error when trying to open any of his A5V10 OR A5V11 based applications. I have seen this on some Win 7 Machines if using the "Run as Administrator" to register theses files.

My application is a single EXE install with the A5V11 files in a sub-directory. The path is C:\[application name]\system\A5v11\...

What are you using to make the exe installer?

I RUN A5V11_RUNTIMESETUP ON MY MACHINE AND HAVE IT INSTALL INTO MY APPLICATION DIRECTORY. THEN WHEN I CREATE A BUILD I GRAB ALL DIRECTORIES AND SUB-DIRECTORIES.
              IS THIS A PROBLEM??

Is this a problem?

Will A5V10 based applications run on A5V11? Yes.

Does Alpha removed older versions of A5 when installing an updated version? No but on some Win 7 machines the OS will unregister some of the A5 prior version files, rare but can happen. There a solution though.

THANKS PRESTON

Comment

Dave,

Would you say it is possible that installing on a laptop with Windows 7 an having no issues on one hand and installing on machine B, using the same OS on the other and having problems, could be an installer issue?

Gene

Comment

As long as installing v11 and going forward with the app built on the same build as the runtime, there should be no issue.

I recently installed on a win10 machine and got the same error every time the app started. It still ran, but always had the error. After looking at the batch file, I got the answer.

Sounds like it was either installed and not being the administrator or missing line in the bat file.

Probably not an installer issue per se. Kind of depends on the installer too.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Is he running on a Win 10 system? Because there has been an issue regarding missing files. I have only had Win 10 3 days and it has happened to me. NOT an Alpha file, but after installing a couple of program files I downloaded, they disappeared.

Ok, went back and saw you said it was Win 7 - still might be good to know...
                    Last edited by MoGrace; 04-27-2016, 12:55 AM.
                    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Gene. Perceived wisdom is to never have a different version between the Build and the Application.
                      I've been bitten by this a good while back.
                      If you client is running version 12345 of V10 you need to create the build using RTV10 version 12345 or you will get errors.
                      Suggest you rebuild based on client's version and build number and rery.
                      Running a V11 build in a V10 environment ain't gonna work.
                      Running a V10 app with a V11 developer installition will work.
                      It's all about the Build.
                      See our Hybrid Option here;
                      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X