Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

New Run Engine Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Run Engine Question

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
    I can't argue* with the wording of the license agreement that you post, but I can tell you that it has been common understanding among the users of this board that the above wording was NOT the case. This issue has been thrashed out multiple times on this board and if you search you will find that Alpha never contradicted this (to the best of my knowledge) and may even have specifically affirmed it in so many words (although I don't specifically recall). Clearly, the new policy is a radical departure from the common previous understanding of most Alpha users that have posted to this matter in one way or another in the past.
    I am aware that this has been discussed before, but wouldn't blame anyone for having re-used their own RT license for custom apps, because it's not made very clear on the site and in the documentation...

But at the end of the day what the common understanding is doesn't really have any bearing as to what the actual meaning is... if that makes sense...

But, I suppose one can argue that those words merely mean that if the developer sells an RT to a customer, that customer now has his or her "own" RT. I guess it depends on what the meaning of "own" is.
    It seems pretty clear to me that if you as the developer purchase a RT then it is yours and you can't then go and sell the same RT to different customers unless it is as part of an app *you* develop and sell commercially (as opposed to custom writing an app for each customer). (Effectively the customer who contracts you to develop a custom app for them needs to own a RT, even if they purchase through you - but since this bit is only mentioned on their website and not really clarified when installing the RTs either, I don't see how anyone could be blamed for not following this!)

While the per seat limit "sucks", I do feel the new structure is much more clear-cut and allows for a much more professional approach to developing and deploying A5-based apps...
    Last edited by NoeticCC; 03-21-2008, 12:04 PM.

Comment

At first, I was a bit discouraged about the new pricing structure becasue it means we'll have to start charging our clients more to upgrade. BUT, this is definitely a good move for Alpha. I hope they make a lot of money for their hard work. They deserve it... they have developed IMHO a product in v9 that is by far better than anything out there. Very few people like change... and I'm sure there will be a few that jump ship... but, in the long term, this is the right thing to do for Alpha and it's users. After all, if Alpha grows and thrives their users can only benefit. Thank you Richard & Selwyn!

btw, anyone interested in looking at a flash demo of some capabilities of Alpha go to...
      www.healthsoftsolutions.com
      username: healthsoft
      password: demo

Comment

I could not disagree more than this helps Alpha. This is a bad marketing decision that could kill a great product.

I came to the web site today because I noticed in Platinum that they were no longer in Beta.

I wanted to see the excitement on the board, see how much it costs, and place an order.

I am not placing an order.

Comment

Originally posted by djldc View Post
          btw, anyone interested in looking at a flash demo of some capabilities of Alpha go to...
          www.healthsoftsolutions.com
          username: healthsoft
          password: demo
          Wow cool app.... although I suddely feel a back ache coming on.... ;)

Comment

BUT, this is definitely a good move for Alpha. I hope they make a lot of money for their hard work.
            I don't think it is. It has been proven too many times in the past to be a problem. There is a reason most of us are here. for some it is quality and responsiveness, for some it is this forum, for all of us it is price and.... || For me it is the ability to quickly develope an app and put it in a users hands with the least expense possible.

I too hope they make a lot of money and thrive, but good business sense is to not price your stuff out of the market or your market share drops. I do not think they are where they want to be in market share(wish they were).

Quicken/Intuit made the most of their Go money with a checkbook program and grew it up. It was quick and accurate and worked well. quickbooks was too at first, Now it is very slow(my opinion). They still kept their pricing in a range to keep gaining market share. It was made with another program, not sure what because I never delved into it that far.
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by John Lemisch View Post
              does this mean that if you have a custom application installed, (and you then create another, separate, additional application for the same client on the same machines), you have to purchase additional rt licenses for the additional application? (I.E. each *.adb file requires a separate license?)
              I don't think so - if they have an RT license they should be able to run as many A5V9 apps as they like... at least if you compile your app/installer to put the runtime files in a common folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\YourDevCompanyName, and all your apps look for the RTs in that folder....

Comment

C:\Program Files\YourDevCompanyName, and all your apps look for the RTs in that folder....
                That is not the way I work. Your apps should not be under program files anyway. My runtime is a part of the app(in the same folder) like c:\upslog\

While the per seat limit "sucks", I do feel the new structure is much more clear-cut and allows for a much more professional approach to developing and deploying A5-based apps...
                What was more clearcut than "you buy a runtime and you can distribute your app with the runtime files to whomever you choose"??

What is more clear than the runtime users can log in and out of an app as long as the count does not exceed the limit of the runtime for concurrent users?
                Last edited by DaveM; 03-21-2008, 12:49 PM.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                  That is not the way I work. Your apps should not be under program files anyway. My runtime is a part of the app(in the same folder) like c:\upslog\
                  Obviously if you have one flagship app that you sell to various customers then that doesn't matter... Either way, you would qualify for an OEM license anyway... so individual RT licenses are a moot point in your case!

But the scenario in question was one where someone would have several apps built on A5, surely you would want the RTs to be accessible from all apps rather than including them over and over again in each application folder?

What was more clearcut than "you buy a runtime and you can distribute your app with the runtime files to whomever you choose"??
                  An "unlimited" OEM developer license that doesn't have a consecutive user limit?

Comment

Andrea,

Obviously if you have one flagship app that you sell to various customers then that doesn't matter... Either way, you would qualify for an OEM license anyway... so individual RT licenses are a moot point in your case!
                    I have 12 apps running right now that I support. Not one. I have over 50 out there built in various versions and some are for no-profit that I charged NO money for.

I think I have a very valid point.

Besides that, we don't even know what the oem thing will cost and it sounds like alpha is trying to get into the "USED CAR" business with their pricing. If you buy a car from me, you can negotiate. There is a limit to my ability to comply with your negotiations, but I know there are other dealers so i am going to bend as much as I can. The point is, you have to be eye to eye(so to speak) for negotiation to work. I think they believe they can win a negotiation. Not so, because the able developer will go elsewhere if he an't win a fair price and have the same luxuries he had with the older product.

Also, I have not been able to get to sales to even find out how much they want or how much it can be gotten down to.

Think about this: i have one flagship app, ok i get oem. I also have a multiple of other apps(say 10), now what do I do to send them out? Buy a runtime for each? I don't think so!

A runtime is supposed to give you the option to distibute with whatever you develope with. It should never limit you.

do you have to purchase a different runtime each time you make an app and include zip? NO!
                    do you have to purchase a different runtime each time you make an app in VB? NO! vb3 had a file you could send so the app would run, but it did not have to be registered.

If I purchase a dll for vb with runtime, I may use it in several apps with no additional charge and maybe send out 3000 varios apps. NO EXTRA CHARGE! i bought the right to distribute, called runtime. i have about a dozen of these laying around, but hope I never have to use them.
                    Last edited by DaveM; 03-21-2008, 01:18 PM.
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                      Think about this: i have one flagship app, ok i get oem. I also have a multiple of other apps(say 10), now what do I do to send them out? Buy a runtime for each? I don't think so!
                      Nor do I... from what Richard has said the OEM license is with the developer and lets you build & sell apps without needing to buy a license for each of them.

My point about the RTs, file paths & 1 flagship app was just that if you write apps where a customer is likely to get or need more than 1 of your apps, why bulk up the installations and copy the RTs into each app folder when they can be shared?

Comment

Andrea,

Truth is, most of my apps are for car people and if the other app they need is in a different folder, it access the runtime in the upslog folder.

Other apps I write don't have the upslog folder, so the rt has to be sent with them.

RT does not really bulk it up too much.

the first run with winxp taught me to never put data in program files and vista re-enforced that idea.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Please...by no means do i want this to sound offensive...but are we kicking the proverbial dead horse here???

I think the same points/questions are being reiterated over and over.

Richard did promise more details in the very near future.

He has also stated that they will be more than fair with their pricing.

I will admit that i have been waiting for a little more than 24 hours to hear back from sales...which is frustrating, but we may not want to lite the torches until they can further clarify things.

Just my 2 cents:)
                          Tony

Comment

OEM Run Engine Package Details (designed for developers building commercial, packaged software)

Price: one time flat fee: $599 - this OEM version will be available soon.

The OEM Run Engine License package is intended for developers who plan to create and sell packaged software using Alpha Five V9 Platinum. This package provides a more affordable alternative to purchasing per-seat runtime licenses. You can distribute an unlimited number of copies of your software for one flat licensing fee.

� Market and sell an unlimited number of copies of your packaged application.
                            � Easily replace the Alpha Five V9 banner with your own splash screen.
                            � Includes functionality of Alpha Five Version 8�s Runtime Plus License (allows your users to create their own letters/labels/reports).
                            � Designed for single-user, DBF file applications that don�t require SQL connectivity
                            � Distribute multiple different commercial packaged applications from the same license
                            Richard Rabins
                            Co Chairman
                            Alpha Software

Comment

Richard,
                              Is the price for everybody? For an upgrade? New Customer?
                              Tony

Comment

Originally posted by reynolditpi View Post
                                Please...by no means do i want this to sound offensive...but are we kicking the proverbial dead horse here???
                                Better than kicking live horses - a) They don't kick back and b) The RSPCA tend to object to kicking live ones too ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X