Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

OEM Run Engine (for developers building commercial, packaged software)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Run Engine (for developers building commercial, packaged software)

OEM Run Engine Package Details (designed for developers building commercial, packaged software)

Price: one time flat fee: $599 - this OEM version will be available soon.

The OEM Run Engine License package is intended for developers who plan to create and sell packaged software using Alpha Five V9 Platinum. This package provides a more affordable alternative to purchasing per-seat runtime licenses. You can distribute an unlimited number of copies of your software for one flat licensing fee.

� Market and sell an unlimited number of copies of your packaged application.
    � Easily replace the Alpha Five V9 banner with your own splash screen.
    � Includes functionality of Alpha Five Version 8�s Runtime Plus License (allows your users to create their own letters/labels/reports).
    � Designed for single-user, DBF file applications that don�t require SQL connectivity
    � Distribute multiple different commercial packaged applications from the same license
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Re: OEM Run Engine (for developers building commercial, packaged software)

Richard

You say:-

• Designed for single-user, DBF file applications that don’t require SQL connectivity

Does this mean that the OEM runtime:
    1. Will not be multi-user capable?
    2. Not able to run apps with SQL capability

If this is the case then what is the point?
    If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Comment

I have the same issue as Chris: 2 possible scenarios, neither of which seems to be addressed:

1. A client with, say 15 users, most of whom need to be able to connect to and use (via active link tables) a remote sql database (mysql in this case).

2. Basically the same thing except that the huge mysql Db is on the local network.

What is one to do?

Ray

Edit: I should add that in both cases the clients would have other A5 apps running that have no sql component. Are they going to need a separate license for that? They better not!

Comment

Richard

I assume from the lack of response that I'm correct in my interpretation that the OEM runtime will NOT have multi-user or the SQL etc capabilities.

If my assumption is correct I will not be buying the Platinum edition as all my apps are designed for multi-user systems, and the run engine licences that are NOT OEM out price the usefulness of Alpha to me as a developer.

So Richard, are you or Alpha going to confirm or deny:-

If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Comment

Ray,
          Your best "deal" would be to purchase the 20-pack (cost is basically the same as for the 10-pack + 5-pack) for $999.00 .

(removed broken link)

Chris,
          Several other threads have discussed (and discussed and discussed!) this ...
          As Richard stated above,
          • Designed for single-user, DBF file applications that don’t require SQL connectivity
          The non-OEM Runtime does support multi-user and SQL.
          Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 06-02-2023, 02:49 PM. Reason: removed broken link
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisHawkes View Post
            Richard

I assume from the lack of response that I'm correct in my interpretation that the OEM runtime will NOT have multi-user or the SQL etc capabilities.

If my assumption is correct I will not be buying the Platinum edition as all my apps are designed for multi-user systems, and the run engine licences that are NOT OEM out price the usefulness of Alpha to me as a developer.

So Richard, are you or Alpha going to confirm or deny:-

Chris

THE OEM price model is, as has been stated, for Single user apps, where there is no SQL capability required.

If the OEM price model does not apply to you, then the Regular Run Engines are the way to go.

An example scenario is:

You have multi user applications (that may or may not require SQL connectivity) that you are selling to more than one company then under the regular runtime you can achieve this.

Example

You have a 10 user app and you have 5 customers - ie you have 50 seats
            then you would buy a 50 pack Run Engine license and
            your cost per seat would $40. ( btw. Each user in your client companies could run multiple applications you produce for them in Alpha Five v9 PLATINUM).

If you have 5 customers with a 2 users app - ie 10 seats then your cost per seat would be $60

If you have 25 customers with 4 user apps ie 100 seats then your cost per seat would $35

Then it comes down to the following - if you cannot pass on the cost of $35 -$60 per seat on to your customer or build it into your price, then Alpha Five v9 may not be for you.
            Richard Rabins
            Co Chairman
            Alpha Software

Comment

Wow oh wow wow. "then Alpha 5 may not be for you." Thats a first. Coming from the CEO no less.

Comment

Richard,

This is killing me. The OEM model, for me, is totally irrelevant.

Under the regular runtime pricing I am looking at a minimum of $2,697 for V9 if I assume what is happening for me right now (which is very little!). Of course I would normally pass most of this on to my clients IF they agree. However, in their current depressed economic circumstances (mortgage industry) they are NOT going to do it. So I guess I have to stick with V8 just when A5 is getting to the point where I could rave about it. To be honest, I am seriously thinking of throwing in the towel and doing something else. Oh well. Good luck.

Ray

Comment

If you have 5 customers with a 2 users app - ie 10 seats then your cost per seat would be $60

If you have 25 customers with 4 user apps ie 100 seats then your cost per seat would $35

Then it comes down to the following - if you cannot pass on the cost of $35 -$60 per seat on to your customer or build it into your price, then Alpha Five v9 may not be for you.
                  Richard and Selwyn:
                  If I am to understand your price structure, which really hasn't been presented in a clear concise fashion, in my opinion, then I think your example is misleading.

If I were to create an application that is limited in sales, where I sell it to 10 different people at 10 different colleges, I would have to purchase 10 runtime licenses at $100 each, thus starting off with having to charge over $100 before I make a penny for all my hours in designing the application. If I work on the project for at least 100 hours at $20 per hour I would have to charge $2100 for the application. They can buy a competitive app for less than $100 (one that uses the Access runtime engine (provided for free).

That is a huge price to pay when many software products sell in the range of $49-$79, including some major ones like Quicken and limited ones like a Training Log I bought for $39 that is quite sophisticated.

Now, I could stay with Verison 8 as you indicate, since I have no interest in SQL or Web design, but your company has made a drastic move away from the past pattern of updating key items that were not working well and adding some new things and then charging a little more ($99 to $149). I have been getting about two ads a week from your headquarters for the past 2.5 years.

This is a major change in operations and certainly adversly affects the little mom and pop operations (of which I am one). If you truly are committed to this new route, at least finish the job with Version 8 so that the browse works correctly.

Thanks for understanding.
                  "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Comment

For your college apps you would need the oem runtime. A one time fee (599)for as many apps as you wish to sell/distribute. No network,SQL or the stuff that has caused a firestorm here. The OEM is for the small developer/mom-pop scenerio. True its more expensive and you get less than the V8 runtime scenerio but it is you buy one runtime and sell as many as you want. Onetime price for the runtime.

Comment

Yes, but for my big time sale of 10 apps, I would have to spend $1000 now (alpha v9 and OEM runtime) instead of $375 for the initial investment of the Alpha program and one 3 person runtime app (on top of the v7 I initially bought). I know that oil prices have caused quite a bit of inflationary pressure....:(

My point being that the new pricing is forcing the small time person out of the Alpha's marketplace. Am I willing to share in my wealth with Alpha if I hit it big? I would be less inclined to argue if I sold to every college with a sports team in the country, but I don't think that will happen. My guess of 10 is probably on the mark.

Some one else mentioned that a move over to the Web might be a possibility and alleviate the need for lots of runtime programs. However, paying $49 a month to another company to have a couple of people look at your website and it's fancy database manipulations doesn't strike me as being too appealing either.

Oh well, so we finally get a program that works as advertised and then what.....:)

Pete

Comment

Pete - if i am understanding you correctly - when you state "I would have to spend $1000 now (alpha v9 and OEM runtime)" you are building an app which can be distributed on an unlimited basis through the OEM Run Engine.

The problem appears to be that you dont know how many you will sell till you actually start marketing. So the question is why do have to buy Alpha Five v9 Platinum and the OEM runengine at the same time? Why not buy the Alpha Five v9 Platinum product for $299 initially, build the app or a prototype and then show it off to potential customers to gauge market demand.

One or two outcomes will be the case.

A) there is insufficient market demand so you do not proceed with getting the OEM license

B) there is sufficient market demand which justifies you proceeding with getting the $599 OEM Run Engine at that point in time

Just a thougth.
                        Richard Rabins
                        Co Chairman
                        Alpha Software

Comment

I appreciate your kind words. I am not adverse to your way of thinking, but with the big jump in price, I am forced to think twice before moving ahead, especially with my wife looking over my shoulder...:D

I have looked at other products to gauge their pricing and your company is not out of bounds, except for bigtime Access, but I am too old to play with them again, I think.

I just don't want to move up again (third time) and then find out in 18 months you have another super upgrade that I just need to have...

In three years I get my pension and then I get to play more freely...

I wish the approach to this issue would have been a bit clearer and cleaner, as it seems to be a bit confusing, don't you think? At least it seems so from all the posts.

I would love to continue supporting you, Selwyn and your company, as I find it refreshing as to how well all of you approach your product and support it. I am just not sure I can afford to do it and then do it again in 18 months.

It is similar to the changeover in the TV market. I saw nothing wrong with my $199 20 inch flat screen Sony. Now I have to shell out $1000 for a digital tv if I want to watch tv.

I have 12 days left with Version 9 and will continue playing with it. Maybe the tax rebate George is promising us will come along and I can buy the next version.

Please keep up the good work, but maybe you can get someone from the liberal arts side of the ledger to explain the new pricing mechanism. You know how engineering minds are logical, but not the best at communicating...;)

Best wishes and success with Version 9.

Pete

Comment

Pete - I appreciate your kind words

take a look at this explanation below.

Also if you would like me to call you this weekend - just email me at [email protected] and [email protected] and i will call you back to go over the pricing for run engines

--------------
                            When you cut to the chase there are two scenarios

Desktop Applications

A) you are building single user applications that dont need SQL connectivity, then the OEM Run Engine is the way to go and it provides for unlimited distribution of applications for $599

B) you are building multi-user applications or applications where you do need SQL connectivity then, the Regular Run Engine is the way to go. In this scenario the cost per seat for the application(s) that you build is

$60 per seat if bought as part of a 10 pack
                            $50 per seat if bought as part of a 20 pack
                            $40 per seat if bought as part of a 50 pack
                            $34 per seat if bought as part of a 100 pack

Web applications

If you are building web apps - we continue to have an unlimited number of users per server model. If you couple this with the new AJAX capabilites (and other web application building enhancements, it makes Alpha Five V9 PLATINUM a potent and very cost effective tool.
                            Richard Rabins
                            Co Chairman
                            Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by trackmanpete View Post
                              It is similar to the changeover in the TV market. I saw nothing wrong with my $199 20 inch flat screen Sony. Now I have to shell out $1000 for a digital tv if I want to watch tv.
                              No. You will just have to buy a converter box ($30-$40).
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                              X