Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Runtime License Registration and Risk Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Runtime License Registration and Risk Management

I care for a couple of reasons.

First, the success of Alpha Five may well hinge in no small part on their licensing scheme. I started to go into this in more depth but for now I will leave it at that. Suffice it to say if you extend this in a number of ways it becomes clear just how much this could impact Alpha Five users.

Second, I would like to be able to go beyond our company's walls and develop applications for others either for our company, with another company, or independently. I've actually created a few programs for our company that we have never deployed in part because of support concerns. Some of these we were even planning to distribute to our customers for no charge. That's really going to be difficult if we have to work out payment and licensing for each location. On a related note, I have paid for Alpha Five (v5, v6, v7 and now Enterprise v8 w/ 5-user Runtime Plus) out of my own pocket. I have gladly done so as I've enjoyed working with it, hoping for certain future changes and dreaming about the possibilities. (On a related note, I have always been very appreciative of the special discounted pricing Alpha Five has made available.)

Are my wishes and/or needs a reason to reconsider Alpha Five licensing? No, not really. But I believe the variety of scenarios that could be run based upon the current proposed scheme in combination with the cost of availabile substitutes should be taken into consideration. I'm just not convinced that the proposed pricing scheme for v9 will result in the desired outcomes for Alpha Five.

Tom
    Last edited by tcausey; 03-24-2008, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tcausey View Post
      I'm just not convinced that the proposed pricing scheme for v9 will result in the desired outcomes for Alpha Five.

Tom
      Tom,

It sounded from your previous post that you didn't care

We all wait, impatiently, to see where Alpha will go with this. There are almost as many opinions as to how Alpha should be priced as there are people who have aired their concerns. It is not going to be easy (or possible) to please everyone. But they are listening. When was the last time you has the co-chairman of a software company respond to the complaints of users, personally and so quickly as Richard has? I am encouraged that Alpha will come through and try to make things as right as they can.

Unfortuanetly what has gotten lost in the pricing mess, are the features in V9. V9 really brings some very cool features back to the desktop environment, as well as some great improvements to the web side as well.
      Last edited by Bill Griffin; 03-24-2008, 11:28 AM.
      Bill Griffin
      Parkell, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Griffin View Post
        But they are listening. When was the last time you has the co-chairman of a software company respond to the complaints of users, personally and so quickly as Richard has? I am encouraged that Alpha will come through and try to make things as right as they can.
        Quite, I knew they were flexible but really hadn't expected the quick response and, regardless of whether or not they come up with anything to satisfy everyone on most counts, willingness to offer alternatives or flat prices instead of the initial case by case basis OEM license etc.

Unfortuanetly what has gotten lost in the pricing mess, are the features in V9. V9 really brings some very cool features back to the desktop environment, as well as some great improvements to the web side as well.
        Indeed - also, albeit at the moment sans genies/GUI, some of the AJAX stuff like the tree control, will genuinely make for some great opportunities for moving functionality onto the web.

I do wonder where Alpha are going with the HTML elements on desktop forms though. One would think eventually these might be 'exportable' to WAS.;

Comment

Bill,

It sounded from your previous post that you didn't care
          It's not that I do not care but that I may be forced to not care.
          When was the last time you has the co-chairman of a software company respond to the complaints of users, personally and so quickly as Richard has? I am encouraged that Alpha will come through and try to make things as right as they can.
          I agree but at the same time I believe this can be tied back into Stewart's original post. Large companies (primarily corporations in the United States at least) are generally averse to both this type and level of risk. From an individual's perspective it is great that Richard and others at Alpha Five are so responsive. But large companies want to know with a relatively high degree of certainty that the companies they work with move deliberately and with a solid foundation. Does this always work as hoped? No. But they will as a general rule seek to reduce uncertainty and risk where safer substitutes exist at a similar or lower cost.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by NoeticCC View Post
            I do wonder where Alpha are going with the HTML elements on desktop forms though. One would think eventually these might be 'exportable' to WAS.;
            I would not be surprised if somewhere down the road that when you develop an application, then choose whether you would like to deploy as a desktop, web or hybrid application. Or this could just be very wishful thinking on my part.
            Bill Griffin
            Parkell, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Griffin View Post
              I would not be surprised if somewhere down the road that when you develop an application, then choose whether you would like to deploy as a desktop, web or hybrid application. Or this could just be very wishful thinking on my part.
              Or at least, copy HTML forms from desktop to WAS - fingers crossed, eh?

Comment

a very good friend of mine owns a rather large software company in Orlando, FL and all their forms for the desktop are being built in vb enterprise with .net on msde databases for web conversion. I don't quite know how that works, but he said I could sit with his head programmer for a day and should get the gist of it.

I would suspect Alpha is headed there.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Yes - HTML elements on a form are part of a move toward the eventual publishing of form as a webpages. Also reports are getting the same treatement as well - v9 supports embedding of a static HTML in reports, we hope to elaborate on this in v10 to allow definition of 'live' HTML reports on the web, which makes a great navigation interface when you embed dynamically generated links.

We have demonstrated internally that publishing an existing forms layout to a 'dumb' HTML is easy , however this is not a feature that is all that useful until all of the field rules & binding can be handled in by the code behind the web page as well (i.e. lookups, validation, calculated fields etc). We are well along on supporting a *lot* of these features through AJAX, but have done no work on the next step which is to add a module that will convert our existing field rule definitions to use our AJAX framework - this will be a big focus for the next release.

Comment

Cian,

didn't expect anyone to be here(idea that all were in the meeting) from Alpha.

Thanks for the info. Kinda figured you were headed there and ajax would be involved. you are ahead of where I thought you were. I can't see inside alpha, but the hint of html on forms struck a cord.
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by Cian Chambliss View Post
                      Yes - HTML elements on a form are part of a move toward the eventual publishing of form as a webpages. Also reports are getting the same treatement as well - v9 supports embedding of a static HTML in reports, we hope to elaborate on this in v10 to allow definition of 'live' HTML reports on the web, which makes a great navigation interface when you embed dynamically generated links.

We have demonstrated internally that publishing an existing forms layout to a 'dumb' HTML is easy , however this is not a feature that is all that useful until all of the field rules & binding can be handled in by the code behind the web page as well (i.e. lookups, validation, calculated fields etc). We are well along on supporting a *lot* of these features through AJAX, but have done no work on the next step which is to add a module that will convert our existing field rule definitions to use our AJAX framework - this will be a big focus for the next release.
                      Thank you very much for that, I suspect a lot of people have been very curious about this for a long time. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                        Allen thanks very much for the question regarding version 8 and prior runtimes.

Going back a while there may have been ambiguity on this topic. It is for this reason we put this explanation on the order page for version 8 runtimes when it was first introduced

(reference https://www.alphasoftware.com/shop/index.asp# and then click on the link on the left which says "Guide to Runtime Versions")

The idea behind this was there were two distinct categories of developers.

A) Developers who sit down with a client and who build custom solutions for that client. In this case - the client should have their own runtime

B) Developers who develop a canned/pre-packaged solution that they plan on selling to a bunch of clients. In this case you may use the runtime to distribute the application to an unlimited number of customers

Thanks

Maybe its a language thing but this has never made any sense to me. There is (or rather can be) far too much grey area, in regards to what is a custom app and what isnt. What is the case for a canned solution that a customer wants to have modified? What if the customer wants 1 form changing, but another wants 50 forms changing.

What if you build a custom app, then decide to market it as a canned solution? In that circumstance you should buy the RT for the customer and then another RT to distribute it. But then again, what if a customer approaches you to ask for a custom app, and you realise it can be sold as a canned solution before you even start designing it.

Im afraid this definition is much too vague in wording and design and whilst it isnt something I have had to worry about I remember reading the definition and thinking O.o

As far as V9 goes, I am waiting to see how the pricing looks after Alpha have reviewed the vociferous feedback about the initially proposed pricing scheme.
                        I do hope the licensing requirement is at least better defined :)

Comment

Working...
                        X