Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

AJAX - Where are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AJAX - Where are you?

This may be the dumbest thing I have asked on this board because it is probably staring me in the face and I don't see it, but.....I use the Web side of alpha alot and they have demonstrated the excellent capabilities of AJAX (videos) and it looks great.

However, where do I find out how to insert AJAX? I am still working with the Beta version and have gone thru the dialog development, the a5w page and nowhere do I see anything about how to generate the AJAX.

Can anyone guide this old man in the right direction for Ajax code writing?

Thanks

Re: AJAX - Where are you?

Re download the trial, open the web app tutorial database, re-publish all files to localhost. Don't think it's in the dialogs but it has loads of sample code.

Comment

Andrea,
      I had been there, done that, prior to the posting of this thread....and I still can't figure out how to write it....

There are alot of examples, but not how to generate the code for AJAX...

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rolf View Post
        Andrea,
        I had been there, done that, prior to the posting of this thread....
        Must be just me who had problems finding the tutorials then ;-)

There are alot of examples, but not how to generate the code for AJAX...
        I would start by taking an example similar to what you want to do, then adapting it. I haven't looked at those samples in depth but the AJAX bit in What's New explains the basic structure quite well.

The AJAX page uses Xbasic to process the values passed in,this can be anything from verifying data to pulling up file information based on a selected file name, sending emails etc., you can use the xbasic genies to generate that.

Then it uses Javascript to edit elements of the page you make the call from, again how this is done should be in the examples.

When I switch my laptop on - writing on my phone at the moment - I will try to attach a set of sample files. Not worked on AJAX with dialogs so far but I have not yet noticed a way this is implemented there, just in forms on A5W pages. That might well be because we are on WAS V9 though.
        Last edited by NoeticCC; 03-23-2008, 09:44 AM.

Comment

I must be hard headed even after looking at all the examples I could find I still can't figure out AJAX. All the examples start with the page already developed. Is there a video/tutorial anywhere where the Example starts from a BLANK SCREEN and it shows how to create the page using AJAX?

Comment

I must be hard headed even after looking at all the examples I could find I still can't figure out AJAX. All the examples start with the page already developed. Is there a video/tutorial anywhere where the Example starts from a BLANK SCREEN and it shows how to create the page using AJAX?
            Ah I see the confusion now... AJAX doesn't as such generate the page, AJAX does its bit "behind the scenes"... AJAX just acts on existing elements, although you can also add new elements to a page (Javascript, which is what AJAX uses, can pretty much do anything to a HTML page in your browser that you can do in a HTML or WYSIWYG editor, just dynamically, while the user is looking at it) too...

You just use the WYSYWYG HTML editor to create an A5W page, and use the form elements to make up the form/dialog you want to use... You can also just copy the HTML from an existing dialog into an A5W page too, but it might be easier to just start with a blank A5W page and take it from there...

You might also have to include these tags in the A5W page's header to make it work:

Code:
            <script type="text/javascript" src="javascript/core.js"></script>
            <script type="text/javascript" src="javascript/ax.js"></script>
            <script type="text/javascript" src="javascript/alphaAjax.js"></script>
            <script type="text/javascript" src="javascript/AjaxFormLibrary.js"></script>
            Last edited by NoeticCC; 03-23-2008, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Andrea, if you go back to the examples they show one example where if there was an error on SUBMIT the Control border is RED and there is an error message. Where do I define this type of information? Typically with alpha you answer a few questions (like validation rules) and when you publish then all the code is there. Is AJAX generated the same way?

Thanks a bunch

Comment

OK this is a sample page (crudely encrypted to hide actual data) I adapted from a live page: http://www.charlesworth.biz/AJAX/AJAX_sample.a5w

I attached the AJAX_Sample page as well as an edited version of the Ajax page it calls, with elements in [] replacing the actual SQL and other bits that are confidential or wouldn't work without connection to our database...
                Basically each time the button is pressed or when the page reloads, the Ajax script executes 2 SQL statements to bring up a list of the oldest 8 items due to be picked up and the latest 8 that have been picked up...

Comment

Andrea, if you go back to the examples they show one example where if there was an error on SUBMIT the Control border is RED and there is an error message. Where do I define this type of information? Typically with alpha you answer a few questions (like validation rules) and when you publish then all the code is there. Is AJAX generated the same way?

Thanks a bunch
                  Having only been able to load the examples last night I can't say for sure but I doubt it , at least not YET... I would expect that grids etc. will eventually be using AJAX by default or the addition of an AJAX genie or something,but have not found any documentation on AJAX used in dialogs and grids so far, just hardcoded or adapted from examples on A5w pages...

Comment

After reading your post with the examples, I am going this is way to difficult (1st glance) and not typical Alpha. Unless all along it was intended to be coded like Xbasic....but no where did it mention this. All that was described was how great it was. It does look nice if it will be easy to implement.

Thanks again

Comment

After reading your post with the examples, I am going this is way to difficult (1st glance) and not typical Alpha. Unless all along it was intended to be coded like Xbasic....but no where did it mention this. All that was described was how great it was. It does look nice if it will be easy to implement.
                      It's not as hard as it looks and I do suspect that the AJAX form functions they use will hopefully have genies attached to them soon, but we won't know until the help files get updated... or someone from Alpha explains whether there will be a GUI option for generating the AJAX scripts, or even whether AJAX will be built into the web components at some point...

I have done quite a lot of work in PHP and Javascript before and found it easier to implement in A5 but obviously a GUI option would make things even easier!

Comment

Phillip,

Try here http://www.w3schools.com/ajax/default.asp . It may answer a lot oif questions for you.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Also check this page out in the sample pages: AJAX_InteractiveTutorial.a5w

If you click on "Click here to see sample Javascript responses that the Ajax callback page can send", it shows you a list of functions you can use in the AJAX script to do a lot of things automatically that are tricky to do in JS without experience...

I wish I'd checked that first before coding this myself the other week, although I am looking forward to replacing the existing samples I have made with these functions!

It also looks like you just define the error style etc. in the style sheet and the A5 AJAX scripts then do the rest for you..

Comment

Andrea, I found the tutorial you were refering to and I get an error once you click on the file. See the attached jpg. I will try to open....

Dave, I forgot about the W3 schools, I have had it on my favorites for quit some time. Thanks for the heads up...

Darn it, after submitting the thread I noticed there was a file with the ajax extension. That one does open properly....sorry....but there is a problem with the file listed in the jpg.

Comment

Andrea, I found the tutorial you were refering to and I get an error once you click on the file. See the attached jpg. I will try to open....

Dave, I forgot about the W3 schools, I have had it on my favorites for quit some time. Thanks for the heads up...

Darn it, after submitting the thread I noticed there was a file with the ajax extension. That one does open properly....sorry....but there is a problem with the file listed in the jpg.
                              You were clicking on a link in the preview, try publishing it to your localhost and try again - Javascript and links don't work right in previews I believe...

If you can't get it to work, this is the example app running on our current version of WAS, the Ajax stuff works but I haven't uploaded all the files yet to get the SQL and DBF lookups to work properly. Also the image references use V9 syntax and thus don't work on this, and of course the speed and performance is V8, not V9... Although with AJAX that should be a moot point!

http://www.charlesworth.biz/WAS/MainMenu.a5w#whatsnew

Comment

Working...
                              X