Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A5V9 vs FM9 with MYSQL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A5V9 vs FM9 with MYSQL

This is my experience with testing a remote MYSQL database with A5V9 Active-links and Filemaker 9.

There are over 1500 records. I queried same records with both A5V9 and FM9. A5 took 7-9 sec while FM took only 1-2 sec. FM miles ahead for returning results.

I hope A5 developers will work on this in the near future.

Re: A5V9 vs FM9 with MYSQL

Slam, was this an apples to oranges comparison? i.e. were both queries run locally after selecting all the records from the server? were both queries run on the server? Or was the fm query run on the server while the A5 query was run locally after waiting for the local active-link table to be fully populated?

Would be helpful if you supplied the details of your comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunk View Post
      This is my experience with testing a remote MYSQL database with A5V9 Active-links and Filemaker 9.

There are over 1500 records. I queried same records with both A5V9 and FM9. A5 took 7-9 sec while FM took only 1-2 sec. FM miles ahead for returning results.

there is not enough information to comment.
      what was the query? need to know so that we can see if the query was run locally, or run on the server.
      if the query is run locally, then all of the records have to be brought down to the client before before the query is run.

try this comparrison between filemaker and a5:
      take a 1,000,000 record table (say mysql, or sql server - does not matter).
      open a browse. sort on any column (for which an index was defined).

time taken by a5: couple of seconds - (depends on the speed of the database backend)

time taken by filemaker - serveral hours.

Comment

Guys I'm not comparing oranges with apples. I like A5 over filemaker and would expect A5 to do better than FM. I havent tried sorting records yet as Selwyn suggestet.

Details of my tests are below:

1. zen cart mysql database hosted on a remote web server
        2. products table
        3. 1500 + records
        4. queries run on "product model" locally (both A5(using default form) and FM)
        5. same internet connection, same pc
        6. A5 took 7-9 sec, FM took 1-2 sec

Comment

Slam,

If you post as Selwin asked, The guys at Alpha will be able to help make this better for you and the rest of us. That's a good thing.

Technicals are a good thing here.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunk View Post

If you want to run reports and queries against an SQL database, active link tables are a rather daft way of going about it, if you bothered to think about the differences between the uses of active link tables vs. SQL queries.

Why on earth not think a little and run a report directly against the SQL database for example? Active link tables are there for data that needs to be updated directly within a form

Comment

Just an observation...

Although it appears that "Slam" (for want of a real name) knows a bit about SQL and such, I think that it is obvious only to those who are acquainted with both SQL and Alpha that things should be done a certain way. Using words and phrases like "daft" , "if you bothered", and "not think" really makes even me not want to post a question or an observation if this was a typical response!!!

"Slam", This was not a typical response...believe me (especially for Andrea who does quite a bit of helping of late!)!!
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by NoeticCC View Post
                If you want to run reports and queries against an SQL database, active link tables are a rather daft way of going about it, if you bothered to think about the differences between the uses of active link tables vs. SQL queries.

Why on earth not think a little and run a report directly against the SQL database for example? Active link tables are there for data that needs to be updated directly within a form
                Andrea,

I can certainly understand why Slam would THINK that using an active link table just as a a regular table, was not a, as you so eloquently stated, daft way of going about it. From Alpha's Web Site:

Active-link tables allow you to work with data in remote SQL databases. Active-link tables are like regular Alpha Five tables in that you can create Forms, Reports, Operations, etc.

Working with SQL is new for many of us and are going thru a learning curve. Instead of being critical of ones approach, perhaps you could enlighten us as the reasons why, and the methods that are better to accomplish things. For instance when an Alpha developer designs a report and has been for years in Alpha, why would we NOT want to run a report from Alpha against a SQL database?

Bill
                Bill Griffin
                Parkell, Inc

Comment

Bill, I think that's a good question. It's my impression that the key distinction here is whether the SQL query returns all the records (in which case Alpha will have to filter them once they're in the local table) or whether the SQL query itself asks the back end database to serve up only the desired (filtered) records. In this latter case the back end database runs what we think of as a query and sends done the pipe only the records that would be used in the report. Seeing examples of the wrong way to do it AND seeing examples of the right way to do it would be very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Griffin View Post
                    Andrea,

I can certainly understand why Slam would THINK that using an active link table just as a a regular table, was not a, as you so eloquently stated, daft way of going about it.
                    Well I wouldn't say eloquent.... I would like to belatedly apologise for the inappropriate rant, I should never type in a hurry.... :o

At any rate, I do think Alpha would do well to build in some sort of function that allows you to write reports etc. against active link tables - updatable ones at that - that block any attempts to refresh data continually*...

... and of course to extend the help files and provide examples of how each type of table can and SHOULD be used optimally.... because active link tables are not ideal for ALL cases...

Case 1: Reports

It is always faster to run a report against an SQL DB directly, at least in my experience. Define a named datasource for your active link table, then base the SQL report on the same datasource/definition. That way you only ever have to change ONE definition...

Case 2: Browses & Forms

Unless you need to update ALL or MOST rows in a table, I have found it is FAR more efficient to base an active link table only on the latest entries, or use arguments in the datasource definition... IDEALLY it should be possible to create an active link "shell" that can handle incrementing sequences and other things, but is there SOLELY for data entry for NEW records... this should speed up the opening of forms based on a-l tables TREMENDOUSLY...

* I believe this is what slows things down - however, running a report directly against an SQL table is heaps faster than against EITHER passive OR active link tables though

Comment

I guess from my "Alpha" mindset, I was excited to see active link tables, I have just started playing with them. Tables with small amounts of records work well enough but when we are working with tables with over a million records, many things are very slow and "seem" unpractical. The queries are extremely fast. I have yet to be able to create a set based on tables with a large number of records (have been in contact with Selwyn regarding this) MY use of active link tables would be simply queries and reports, and almost never using them to update data. I certainly would like to know the best practices when using Alpha with SQL. It certainly was (and still is) my impression that using an active link table should be a valid way of doing everything we can with a native dbf file.
                      Bill Griffin
                      Parkell, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by NoeticCC View Post
                        Well I wouldn't say eloquent.... I would like to belatedly apologise for the inappropriate rant, I should never type in a hurry
                        I recall thinking when I first read your reply to Slam that you were perhaps having a bad day. Then you seemed to disappear for while (I thought the Board police came and dragged you away from your keyboard) :)

Thanks for your explanation. One of the great things about this board is that there are many people with a wide range of experience. I appreciate having all of the different points of view and approached to problem solving.
                        Bill Griffin
                        Parkell, Inc

Comment

MY use of active link tables would be simply queries and reports, and almost never using them to update data. I certainly would like to know the best practices when using Alpha with SQL. It certainly was (and still is) my impression that using an active link table should be a valid way of doing everything we can with a native dbf file.
                          For that, I would suggest creating the active link tables based on a named datasource and then using the named datasource as a source for your reports etc... IF you need the active link tables at all...

Comment

I recall thinking when I first read your reply to Slam that you were perhaps having a bad day. Then you seemed to disappear for while (I thought the Board police came and dragged you away from your keyboard) :).
                            I was on holidays (hence the hurried, inappropriate response - I was trying to reply from a PC that I am not used to and couldn't connect again to edit the post) until last night! :o

Comment

Good to have you back. Hope you had a nice restful holiday.
                              Bill Griffin
                              Parkell, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X