Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Xbasic Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbasic Question

Why is that there are not that much books about xbasic programming out there... in fact I just found no more than four books related to it. All come up from the alpha software page. I did a search on the net and in Amazon.com and the same results came up... I'm really fascinated with this application and I know I can learn from the Scripts (that can be converted to Xbasic language) but I wish there would be an updated version of the books out there, at least. One recommendation to the Alphasoftware CEOs is to send a copy of the beta versions of their future releases to those authors so when the new version comes up there is a Book at the same time. Right now there should be an author writing about the new version, but we have to wait for them to finish and it could take a couple of months.

If you know about a site that teaches Xbasic, please post the site. Thank you and have a great day.

Re: Xbasic Question

I think the fact that V9 has just been released and that Xbasic for everyone has only recently been updated probably has something to do with that... the help files and function references really are very extensive and are an invaluable resource, especially combined with the sample apps that ship with A5.

Xbasic is VERY extensive and no documentation could ever cater for every possible situation one might encounter.

Comment

Originally posted by mastermind315 View Post
      Why is that there are not that much books about xbasic programming out there... in fact I just found no more than four books related to it. All come up from the alpha software page. I did a search on the net and in Amazon.com and the same results came up... I'm really fascinated with this application and I know I can learn from the Scripts (that can be converted to Xbasic language) but I wish there would be an updated version of the books out there, at least. One recommendation to the Alphasoftware CEOs is to send a copy of the beta versions of their future releases to those authors so when the new version comes up there is a Book at the same time. Right now there should be an author writing about the new version, but we have to wait for them to finish and it could take a couple of months.

If you know about a site that teaches Xbasic, please post the site. Thank you and have a great day.
      Your question has been asked a few times over the years and perhaps the best answer is something like this:

In the eyes of independent authors, A5 is not a very big market in the world of databases. However, Dr. Peter Wayne has done splendid job with the books he has written. When it comers to the action scripts, I suspect most of them were derived from the message board from actions that others created or needed. Along with that, A5 is to the point to where little, if any xbasic is needed. The action scripts allow users to create quite sophisticated applications.

I don't think there is a web site that teaches xbasic although there are a couple of web sites that offer the books. I think you've already discovered them.

There is a ton of xbasic on the message board. Search v7,v8 & v9 using a topic such as something you want to do.

Finally, learn the ins and outs of action scripting, especially the dialog boxes. You will be much better off being well versed in that instead of xbasic. Check out the tutorials. They can keep you busy for quite some time.

Oh, almost forgot, take a cruise through the code archive. It's located newar the bottom of the forums list.

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

And the articles collection at

www.learn alpha.com

Comment

Elliot,

if you read several published books on c, or any other programming language, all they do is get you started and cover the same thing(pretty much) with a different approach. After the beginners books, one must work at it a bit before going to an intermediate book or one will get a bit lost with the book(s).

Alpha really needs no book as you would need in c. It has a better online help system, message board, online tutorials, and etc., that more than you might need is available.

Programming is different for everybody(different thought patterns) and many times the same result can be had 3 or 4 different ways. As long as you get your result, the how is what you learned.

The functions Alpha supplies to you are primarily written in xbasic and a lot of the people on this message board are capable of writing them, but Alpha already did for us to use. It certainly speeds our work to have those readily available instead of laboring for a couple days to get something like a len(), lookup() or the other hundreds available. If you don't have a match, you can make one. There are probably 500 or so scripts and user defined functions right here on the message board. If I were one of their programmers, I wuld scan the message board for possible functions to include in the newest version. I think they sometimes do.

Alpha used to ship several books with a purchase and they were very good. Especially in the dos days. Now the help file is way better and it is periodically updated which was impossible with the books.

Bottom line is: Alpha is evolving faster that a writer can write and publish.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I am fairly new to Alpha (less than a year) but I started with GW Basic and then QuickBasic 4.5.

What I have been able to do with Alpha is use Action Scripting and then convert it to XBasic. I then study the code and compare it to the examples. I haven't had much trouble picking it up that way. Of course I did buy Dr. Wayne's 'XBasic For Everyone' and it has been a tremendous help. I really don't see a need for any other books on XBasic itself.

I find Alpha and XBasic to be very logical and very well constructed compared to most languages that I have used over the years.

One thing I do is watch this board like a hawk. I don't have the expertise in Alpha yet to contribute much but my opinion, so I just watch and listen so to say. I have said it before - this product is awesome.

So, I guess what I am saying is write Action Scripts - convert them to XBasic and then study them. Watch this board. Study the examples that people post here. Books on XBasic probably won't change much because it appears to me that the language itself is almost set in stone. There may be different functions written in XBasic, but the language pretty much remains the same.

Just my thoughts.

Ted Berry
            TLBerry Enterprises
            Iowa Park, TX

Comment

Dr wayne's book is helpful to the old pro as well as the newbie. I have the newest one too.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                Dr wayne's book is helpful to the old pro as well as the newbie. I have the newest one too.
                Dave I bought his latest book too. But in my copy when I open it in Acrobat there is no ability to jump to a page from the contents. Is this true in your copy too? It seems there should be some sort of link...
                Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Robin, it is the same in my copy--no links via contents....
                  Mike

Comment

That can be fixed with Acrobat Pro (if you own a copy) it has to be recompiled. Maybe the author forgot about it. I fixed a copy of another e-book for a friend that has that same problem. I could had help you if I had a copy of this e-book but I don't have it.

Comment

Quick links to pages is so important!!

I've made sure to do it when I had PageMaker and now InDesign. And it's so easy. Just define paragraph styles and apply to the heading.

Comment

I'm in the same boat too looking for more details on how to implement xbasic. Best I can figure is find something similar to what I need and figure it from there.

Comment

robin,

Dave I bought his latest book too. But in my copy when I open it in Acrobat there is no ability to jump to a page from the contents. Is this true in your copy too? It seems there should be some sort of link...
                          In the tool bar of the reader is a little box(at least in the free one I use) where i just put in the page number and it goes there. I never had a pro version, maybe it works different.

Dave

EDIT: Take that back. It is in the center at the bottom where it says 1 of 485, just put the number of the page in there.
                          Last edited by DaveM; 04-26-2008, 09:54 AM.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                          X