Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Considering Buying A5? Read This Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering Buying A5? Read This Please.

If you're not already an Alpha Five convert, I want to ask you to take a look at the last few threads. Specifically, some of the people who are particpating in the threads.

Richard and Selwyn Rabins are the owners of the company. Selwyn is the big guy behind A5.

Cian Chambliss has been developing for Alpha for something around 20 years - maybe more.

Lenny Forziati is the brains behind the web application stuff, and so much more.

Individually and collectively, these guys (and others we see: Aaron, Dave, etc) are amazing. Their intellect, desire and ability to both create A5 and serve customers is something to behold.

No where else in the software world are you ever - ever - going to find support, attention and responsiveness like this from such capable people.

There are a lot of reasons to buy and use Alpha Five. But I was just looking through the last few threads and decided this needed to be pointed out for those who don't know. For those of us who do know, it is very satisfying to know that we've made the right choice, will have the company support and care that we need, and the attention of some pretty darned smart people.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Re: Considering Buying A5? Read This Please.

Steve,

was just thinking the same thing. Thanks for conveying my thoughts. :)

And thanks to the Alpha team!!
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Indeed, each patch has more great new features, too! :)

Comment

OK, I'm considering buying A5. The forum has a good feel and the owners are responding to user requests. But I still have some doubts.

Is V9 ready for end-users? I don't need 20 calls per day because a system I install at a client's site isn't working.

I currently use Visual Foxpro with a framework. I need to rewrite an old Business Basic system. A5 has some features that my framework is missing but is it substantially better than Foxpro?

Comment

This needs to be made a Sticky at the top. Either it is going to fall to page 2+ or become so long it will not be read.

By the way I have posted in past as to how impressed I am with Alpha. Even more so after dealing with other software vendors.

Comment

Originally posted by aRob View Post
            OK, I'm considering buying A5. The forum has a good feel and the owners are responding to user requests. But I still have some doubts.

Is V9 ready for end-users? I don't need 20 calls per day because a system I install at a client's site isn't working.

I currently use Visual Foxpro with a framework. I need to rewrite an old Business Basic system. A5 has some features that my framework is missing but is it substantially better than Foxpro?

Rob - at the very least, get the free trial download. 30 days of free, and nothing's held back.

Yes, V9 is "ready." You're finding problems here because this is where people come with 'em. And, you've also noticed they get solved.

I can't compare it with Foxpro because I'm not familiar with Foxpro. Has the Search feature of this board turned up anything useful for you? Maybe an ex Foxpro user will jump in here.

I don't have any full V9 implementations out there, but plenty of V8 and I'm not spending my day answering the phone.
            -Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Foxpro is (was? - I understand Microsoft has killed it) a very good product.

So is Alpha Five.

Both are very large products. There are no doubt some things that Foxpro offers that A5 does not have and there are certainly some things that A5 offers that Foxpro doesn't.

While Foxpro certainly has a lot of raw power, my experience with it is that you have a much longer learning curve to be productive with it compared to A5.

A5 has been around a long time and there are thousands of applications that have been developed using it.
              Last edited by Selwyn Rabins; 05-01-2008, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Rob,

Foxpro is a VERY strong product, but the death is on it's way for Foxpro. It also takes longer from start to develope anything with it.

alpha is a thriving environment that is much easier to deal with and MUCH faster to get things going.

There really is no comparison when you know about both products.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I'm evaluating V8. Unfortunately with limited time and 30 day evals, one is only scratching the surface.

Comment

I'm evaluating V8. Unfortunately with limited time and 30 day evals, one is only scratching the surface.
                    ... and yet there is another 30 days on V9 as a trial... 60 days is plenty to get stuck in :D

Comment

Rob

You probably should be evaluating v9 - there are a lot of enhancements that you probably want to take advtage of

the new features are summarized here http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphafive/platinum/
                      Richard Rabins
                      Co Chairman
                      Alpha Software

Comment

Alpha is great, but I had one thing I didn't like. The numerical formats weren't what you would see on a formal financial statement. Zero's should be displayed as dashes, negative numbers in parenthesis, with totals and first lines having a dollar sign. I emailed Selwyn about a month ago, asking if there was still time to put it into the final version. I'm glad to say he did it.

I really like how the report writer has conditional objects. I can set up a report with a variety of conditional objects, each with different fields and/or formatting. To the best of my knowledge, more expensive stand alone report writers can't do this.

As an accountant, I like how I can import info in and easily work with it. I just export the transactions from quickbooks into a .csv file, index it, and have a gl I can analyze. By the way, use a csv rather than a wks, as quickbooks messes up the dates.

Comment

Originally posted by quinster View Post
                          Alpha is great, but I had one thing I didn't like. The numerical formats weren't what you would see on a formal financial statement. Zero's should be displayed as dashes, negative numbers in parenthesis, with totals and first lines having a dollar sign. I emailed Selwyn about a month ago, asking if there was still time to put it into the final version. I'm glad to say he did it.
                          And I'm sure Microsoft and most other database companies would have provided the same level of service for you!

Comment

Originally posted by quinster View Post

I really like how the report writer has conditional objects. I can set up a report with a variety of conditional objects, each with different fields and/or formatting. To the best of my knowledge, more expensive stand alone report writers can't do this.

As an accountant, I like how I can import info in and easily work with it. I just export the transactions from quickbooks into a .csv file, index it, and have a gl I can analyze. By the way, use a csv rather than a wks, as quickbooks messes up the dates.
                            actually, we did a lot more as a result of your request than just add a new format.

we realized that there will always be some format that a user might want that we could never anticipate, so we add a generic feature that allows a user do install their own formats.

this is done by creating a specially name UDF to do the formatting.

this feature is described in the 'what's new in v9' document.

http://support.alphasoftware.com/Wha...V9/NewInV9.htm

navigate to the Form Layout-->User Defined Formatting section.

Comment

Getting back to the original intent of this thread:

Read Selwyn's last message. Then re-read my opening message. Is this great or what?
                              -Steve
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X