Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Installing on Termial Server 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing on Termial Server 2003

I have a 2003 x64 microsoft server with v8 runtime & 1 development installed on. Everyone terminal servers in and all is working great.

I finally got a little time today to install V9 & the run engine. I have not spent any time trouble shooting but it does not mater if you log into the run engine or the develpment program the development program starts. I have checked & the start programs both have different directorys they go to. Anyone have an idea where I start trouble shooting.

Re: Installing on Termial Server 2003

I don't typically log on as a "user" opening our software, but as an adminitrator to the desktop, for developing. If you have a setup for having users auto_opening your software, then the issue is in the settings for T/S.

Our user logon setup has them logon to our software, using something like

Code:

C:\Alpha\A5V8\alpha5.exe "C:\Alpha\TowsonRehab\StellaMaris\Towson.adb" -INCLUDE="C:\Alpha\TowsonRehab\StellaMaris\Towson_StellasMaris.startup"
    Our user setup automatically disconnects them when they exit Alpha. And Alpha will disconnect them after 10 minutes of inactivity. And if Alpha hangs, T/S will disconnect them after 15 minutes of inactivity.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Comment

We also use TS 2003 to run my custom apps locally on the network and also remotely.

The runtime is still limited by the User Count of your runtime and it is alot easier to upgrade and modify your app in only one location and you don't have to worry about users using out of date software.

I just finished a project to Train employees on how to use barcode readers. The client has a vertical market app which has been very difficult for minimum wage employees to use correctly.

I took photos of the 3 main screens and I created an exact duplicate of the custom app in 2 days. My app only mimics what the other app does. So my app basically does NOTHING except present the same screens and options to the employees.

Employee productivity has gone up tremendously and any new features can be done at the main office even though the app is used remotely over TS. We use the Metrologic Ms7120 Scanner which is basically a keyboard and works GREAT.

To get it to work properly over Terminal Server, you create a desktop icon using Tools, Create Icon. You then copy those settings into the Users Properties, Environment Tab, check Start program at logon and then paste the parameters into the space provided.

ie: Program File Name: D:\A5V8RT\alpha5.exe "D:\_UPC\UPC.adb" -INCLUDE="D:\_UPC\UPC_CAROLINA.startup"

Start in:
      D:\_UPC\

If you need printing capabilities you should also select the options in the Client Devices section.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      Barry Kucher
      http://www.411tech.org

Comment

how many concurrent users have you ever has so far - I think as the number increases, the need for memory and bandwidth increases - especially when they are all remote users, which is our case.

I have heard that after 12 to 13 users, you have to start clustering and use a mix of Citrix and T/S

so far we haven't run into that, so I'm not sure
        Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
        972 524 8714
        [email protected]

Comment

On a usual day during peak periods we can have over 40 concurrent users on the Terminal Server without degradation of speed. My Alpha apps are limited to 5 users max. The runtime is located on the TS but the data is located on a file server. We also have up to 25 users using a vertical market app written in Access 97. That data is also on the file server. We also use the TS for another vertical app running Foxpro V8 accessing a SQL Server which can have up to 10 to 15 users.

The Terminal Server is set up as follows:
          W2K3 with Dual XEON 2.4's, 2 Gigs memory, and raid 1 (mirror) with 2 74 Gig Raptors.

Our broadband connection is set up using a T1 and a Cablevision BOOST connection bonded together which gives us over 5 meg up and 25 gig down.

Due to cost constraints we never got into Citrix. When we started with TS, the only reason we needed citrix was to use Networked Printers. I was able to figure out a VERY easy way to use networked printers on TS so I never pushed for it.
          Barry Kucher

Comment

Originally posted by 411tech View Post
            .... I was able to figure out a VERY easy way to use networked printers on TS so I never pushed for it.
            Any idea how to get Report.Send() to work on a TS? That is, instead of printing a report, send it via email as a PDF attachment. I have had no luck getting this to work on TS even though users can send regular emails via Outlook. For my TS app not being able to do this is a BIG negative.

Ray

Comment

I havent tried that over TS. I am sure you set the default email parameters. I have experienced certain functions that require the user to have a desktop and therefore cannot use the environment settings within TS. Have you tried creating a user that has a DESKTOP with icon for your A5 app on it?

When the user logs in they see a desktop with START menu and a link to the program they need to run. This was for a product that created PDF's instead of printing to a printer. Without the desktop, the program would fail.

Barry Kucher
              Barry Kucher

Comment

Thanks Barry. The users do have a desktop and use default email settings (Outlook). My suspicion is that the Amyuni driver has the same limitation that at least "standard" versions of the full version of Acrobat have on a TS (at least Acrobat 6 standard does not work on my TS). However, there are PDF creators that do work on a TS, so it would seem (maybe!) that either a different Amyuni version licensed to A5 or A5 switching to something else would solve this problem. At least for my application, not being able to use Report.Send() is a big deal. Maybe someone else using A5 on a TS will have solved this problem and will post the solution.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
                  Thanks Barry. The users do have a desktop and use default email settings (Outlook). My suspicion is that the Amyuni driver has the same limitation that at least "standard" versions of the full version of Acrobat have on a TS (at least Acrobat 6 standard does not work on my TS). However, there are PDF creators that do work on a TS, so it would seem (maybe!) that either a different Amyuni version licensed to A5 or A5 switching to something else would solve this problem. At least for my application, not being able to use Report.Send() is a big deal. Maybe someone else using A5 on a TS will have solved this problem and will post the solution.

Ray
                  Can you print a document and then select the "print to pdf" ? I had to look at what code I am using. I do not use report.send() I use which does work for me, report.saveas, then email.send(). Yes this is with windows 2003 server x64 in TS mode.

Comment

Originally posted by turbojack View Post
                    Can you print a document and then select the "print to pdf" ? I had to look at what code I am using. I do not use report.send() I use which does work for me, report.saveas, then email.send(). Yes this is with windows 2003 server x64 in TS mode.
                    Using report.saveas and then email_client_external() works when NOT on the TS but on the TS I get the usual "MAPI ERROR-one or more unspecified errors occurred. No message was sent. (MAPI_E_FAILURE)." I have not yet been able to get A5's built-in client [email.send()]to work even for sending, I think because they use an IMAP email system. Very frustrating.

Ray

Comment

I use a product specifically for this. It is a server product that allows TS users to print to PDF's. You can try a 30 day trial to see if it works for you. It sets up just like Adobe where it creates a print driver.

The product is called Print2PDF Server Edition from 602 Software. You can read about it at: http://www.software602.com/products/print2pdfserver/

Hope this works out for you.
                      Barry Kucher

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
                        Using report.saveas and then email_client_external() works when NOT on the TS but on the TS I get the usual "MAPI ERROR-one or more unspecified errors occurred. No message was sent. (MAPI_E_FAILURE)." I have not yet been able to get A5's built-in client [email.send()]to work even for sending, I think because they use an IMAP email system. Very frustrating.

Ray
                        If I remember correctly, I had trouble at first but once I found the correct setting to change on the server, the problem went away. I do not remember what I had changed. Since Microsoft has taken so may hits by people saying it is is unsafe the server is locked down so tight I could not get anything to work when I first started using it.

Another program to made pdf and is free is cutepdf. Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by turbojack View Post
                          Since Microsoft has taken so may hits by people saying it is is unsafe the server is locked down so tight I could not get anything to work when I first started using it.
                          There is an option in TS about "Permission Compatibility", and I do seem to recall that in order to get a demo of an old Alpha sample app to work I had to set that to "relaxed".

Comment

Back again: I have tried relaxing the security setting for compatibility. This did not do the trick.

As for alternative PDF creators, here's the thing: even if the PDF file was already created somewhere else (i.e., skipping the creation process on the TS) and then just trying to send an already created PDF with email_client_external(), I get the very same error message mentioned above. That would seem to indicate that the problem is not which program creates the PDF file as none is used in this particular test. That would seem to point to something having to do with the email_client_external() function. And yes, using Outlook an email with the very same PDF file as an attachment can be sent. This means, of course, that "manually" users can do what is needed. However, if you eliminate all the automation that can go into email_client_external() we might as well forget the whole thing because these users just are not going to be able (or willing) to do it.

Ray

Comment

Do you even have problem when you are logged in as admin in a TS session? Firewall off?

Comment

Working...
                              X