Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Field rule\record question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field rule\record question.

Greetings fellow alpha males and females;

I have a form with a browse on it. There is also a field from the same table on the form. As I scroll through the browse the field displays the values, it contains, for each record in the browse.
    I would like to be able to enter data in the field (which can do), but I would like to restrict the record from changing by using the arrow keys, or any other method from the field.
    Thanks

Re: Field rule\record question.

Can you be more specific? do you want to freeze the cursor in the browse window, while you edit the form version of the field? Are you seeing the record move when you navigate through the form?

this is likely because, if you are on the parent level on the form, the down arrow will navigate to the next record. I dont know of anyway to deactivate that basic functionality.
    Logical Design
    Keven Thibeault
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Dwell in possibility

Comment

Keven,
      This works I believe for what you are referring to when placed on the form's OnKey event..

Code:

IF a_user.key.value = "{DOWN}"
          a_user.key.handled = .T.
           IF a_user.key.event = "down"
           cancel()
           END IF
          END
       END IF
      Mike

Comment

thanks Mike - good to know!
        Logical Design
        Keven Thibeault
        Boston, Massachusetts
        Dwell in possibility

Comment

Mike;

Thanks for the tip. Exactly what was needed. I tried searching the help file, but just did not stumble across the OnKey Event for forms section. That and the sys_send_keys is just what I need. (You've helped me before.)
          This online help stuff really sucks. I grew up on really great help manuals. (Borland)

Comment

James,
            Glad you could use the info.

This online help stuff really sucks
            I think once you really get into Alpha you will find it much easier to find stuff--the hardest part initially is to know what you are looking for--the names or at least the syntax of what you want or are looking for (like functions can begin with a period "." or an underscore "_" or even a star "*" or just plain with no character in front). So when I look (OR Search the messageboard) I try all these things. I usually use the online help's Index search and can usually find what is wanted using just that...at least for functions and such. Solutions or similar ways of doing something, examples and such, I use the messageboard--simply incredible how much info can be gleaned from here. If I had to use simply a manual I would still be trying to figure most of this out!!
            Mike

Comment

Mike,
              I love your explanation that basically says "If you know JUST what you are looking for you can find it". I am with you 100% on the fact that when you have walked the Help path several times, you can get BACK there more smoothly, to where you have been before, to refresh what might have atrophied or didn't stick completely before. It's the first, second, third pass into the abyss that is the killer. I guess that's what we are here for, huh!
              Mike W

Comment

If you know JUST what you are looking for you can find it
                :D

I guess that is about how what I said would appear!! And is true to a great extent. But one thing I neglected to mention which makes a bit more sense is how to search for what you don't know. And again, it is a very similar method. Knowing that each type of value (character, numeric, date, time, etc.) has a section regarding functions and conversions, you can just enter in say date in the index, scroll down to the sub-category of functions or conversions and find what Alpha has regarding these....least that is how I find them most of the time--and when I can't I usually can by searching the messageboard.

The method I use and have written here I sure wish I could have simply read about it on the messageboard (like in a NEWBIE FORUM!) instead of having to figure it out!! It took many months to come up with this....and am still tweaking it really...I guess some things just have to be experimented with especially as everyone has their preference on how to so the same thing.
                Mike

Comment

Greetings;

The code did disable the down/up & pgdn/pgup keys on the form. It also disabled the keys on the browse. (Been awhile since I could get back to working on this.) Any way to disable the keys on just the form. I spent quite awhile searching the help file. Got 0.
                  Regards

Comment

James,
                    If there is not any way to just disable either a form's or a browse's keys don't fight it--just make a condition that will disallow the keys when on the form and allow when on the browse--could be as simple as the code you are using placed on the OnArrive and OnDepart of the browse that inactivates and then activates the code for the keys.

Just the first thought and not entirely thought through but would be the first approach I would try.
                    Mike

Comment

MikeC;

Tried looking into that, but noticed that if you put code in the Onkey for a form (disable keys here) the keystroke never gets passed to the browse. The onkey event fires, the a_user.key handled = .t. never lets it pass to anything, and that is that. (Opened the trace window and watched the events unfold as keys wre hit.) Oh well, just a thought. Might just use xdialog for the user to enter the data, pass it to where ever its needed. Not what I wanted, but works.
                      Thanks for the suggestions

Comment

James,
                        Just add a logical session variable to the form say called svDnKey.
                        On the OnInit of the form set svDnKey to .F.
                        On the OnArrive of the browse set svDnKey to .T.
                        On the OnDepart of the browse set svDnKey to .F.

Change the OnKey of the form to
                        Code:

if svDnKey=.F. then
                           IF a_user.key.value = "{DOWN}"
                              a_user.key.handled = .T.
                               IF a_user.key.event = "down"
                               cancel()
                               END IF
                              END
                           END IF
                        end if
                        Mike

Comment

MikeC, I think James needs to tell us more about what he's trying to accomplish. If you permit navigation inside the browse his field object on the form is going to change, and in his first post he said that's what he wants to avoid. Questions that would help us understand his situation include:

a) is the form based on a set of tables, or one table?
                          b) what is the underlying reason he wants to freeze the "field" but permit navigation in the browse?

Comment

Working...
                          X