Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help with Calc Field summing child table on form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Calc Field summing child table on form

Can someone please assist me.

I've included a small example of what I want to accomplish in my application. I want to sum Total Expenses from the Expense table using a Calculated field however, it only sums the 1st entry. I need all entries. Total Expenses now shows 222.00. I want it to show the sum of all the entries in the Expense Table which amounts to 926.00.

I also want to set up the Income table with the same technique.

Can you check to see that I have my "Set" configured correctly and show how to accomplish the above.

The Key is "Event Description"

Thanks,
    Rudy
    Last edited by Rudy16; 05-11-2008, 12:54 PM. Reason: Left out something

Re: Help with Calc Field summing child table on form

Code:
    TotalExpense = total(Exp_Sub_Tbl->Exp_Tot)
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks Dave.

Comment

extra:

Code:
        TotalExpense = total(Exp_Sub_Tbl->Exp_Tot)
        totalinc = total(Inc_Sub_Tbl->Inc_Tot)
        winloss = calc->totalinc-calc->Totalexpense
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave,
          I tried your calculation and it worked for the 1st main db record however when I moved to the 2nd main record the child records showed but the expense total showed the 1st total of the first record.

Could you look at the zip db I included and see what I mean?
          Rudy

Comment

Dave,
            Let me see if I can be a little clearer.
            My main table has 2 fields:
            1st field is Event Description (Key)
            2nd field is Expense description

my 2nd table has 5 fields which include
            - Expense Description
            and Expense Total.

I the created a Table Set linking the 2 tables as such:
            Parent Table is trip_planner-tbl
            Parent Key is event_desc

Child Table is exp_sub_tbl
            Child Key = exp_event_desc (Key)

When an Event Description in my browse table changes, I expected to get a total of all expenses for that Event. Instead I get a total of all events in the child table, not just the event that I selected in the browse window.

when I click on a different event in the browse window I see the correct expense entries for all expenses for the clicked event however, the total() calculation total all events. Is this clear as mud??

Rudy

Comment

I want to sum Total Expenses from the Expense table using a Calculated field however, it only sums the 1st entry. I need all entries. Total Expenses now shows 222.00. I want it to show the sum of all the entries in the Expense Table which amounts to 926.00.
              These are misleading descriptions. It now seems you don't need a total for all entries. ... or for all entries in the Expense table. You need a total of a particular field (exp_tot) summed across only those Expense table records that have the same "Exp_Event_Desc" field value as the current parent table's "Event_Desc" field.

Here's an example of what I think you're looking for, using dbsum().

It really really helps us communicate more efficiently if we all use actual table and field names. There is no field in "Main_tbl2" named "Event Description" for example.

-- tom

Comment

Rudy,
                Try

TotalExpense = total(Exp_Sub_Tbl->Exp_Tot,GRP->main_tbl2)
                Mike

Comment

Tom,

Your example worked like a charm. I was actuall looking at my "real" app when I tried to explain the problem. I didn't want to send you my entire app because it is getting quiye large, however if I did, I would have been accurate in my description.I'm sorry that I confused you with bad instructions and bad db.

Thanks again for your help.

Rudy

Comment

Rudy,

Sorry, I wasn't online, but glad Tom stepped in. He really knows his way around.

I was and still am getting ready for a court date on Tuesday for the divorce that was supposed to have been complete in 2002.

Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Guys,

What is the difference between DBSUM() and TOTAL() when both give the same result?
                      Regards
                      Keith Hubert
                      Alpha Guild Member
                      London.
                      KHDB Management Systems
                      Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith, others may want to supplement this with their own views. The Help file says this about Total():
                        This function is a report writer function, not intended for table level field rules or other expressions. While the function may perform in some areas outside of the report writer, its use there is not supported.
                        However, many experienced developers employ it in form layouts, and have for years. It's even used in AlphaSports, I believe.

Total() runs against the instance of the table that's already open (in the report or form). DbSum() opens a new instance of the table, as does TableSum(). In my own work if I have an index that's available I prefer dbSum() to TableSum() because I think it's faster. If I don't have an index I prefer Tablesum() to Total() unless I'm working in a report layout.

Comment

Tom,

Thanks for your valued explanation. I did not appreciate the explanation in the help file.

I did have a problem with a calc field, which was a total of a browse on a form, it kept loosing it's value and not displaying correctly. I tried all sorts of ways to get the darn thing to refresh, but now I have changed it to DBSUM() and it works just fine.

Thanks again.
                          Regards
                          Keith Hubert
                          Alpha Guild Member
                          London.
                          KHDB Management Systems
                          Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Working...
                          X