Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Customer Running Ledger Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invoices are being stored in one table and customer receipts are being stored in customerReceipts table

i want to creat a report of customer ledger

including following fields
    Date ---------- Date of transaction
    Narration ---------- Invoice # if its a invoice and receipt # if its a receipt
    Debit --------- value of invoice if transaction is invoice else 0
    credit ---------- value of receipt if transaction is receipt else 0
    Balance ---------- running balance after each transaction

i also want to include opening balance which was before that period for which ledger is being viewed

i am also including a snapshot of ledger i used to creat in ms access and VB 6
    for reference

take a look at report i want to achieve this

report attached is very advanced it also includes the pending orders of that customer and balance after adding pending orders but for now i only want to creat the upper portion which includes the ledger transactions
    i have changed the name for my client's privacy to "XYZ"

Thanks in advance

Khawar
    Last edited by khawar; 05-13-2008, 04:18 AM. Reason: Some sentences were confusing

Re: Customer Running Ledger Report

So, basically you want an Accounts Receivable aging report ?

Might be best to create a new table called AROPN or something like that. This would have posting for all invoices out, all cash receipts in and also include all adjustments (credit or debit memo's) issued against invoices. Once invoices are paid in full, you can mark them as closed.

Your other two tables hold invoice or cash receipts journal detail. The AROPN file only holds open accounts receivable balances. As an end of month routine, you can purge out paid in full invoices after printing a monthly aging report or exporting to a history transaction file.

Comment

I dont want aging report i want ledger like you seen in the report i attached
      it would include all invoices whether paid or unpaid for any selected period

This is called AR ledger not Aging

Aging report is what i have attached now have a look at the report attached

also I asked how to include the opening balance like you can see the first line of report in my

customer ledger report attached in my previous message which shows the summary of all the transaction before the selected period for ledger( i-e includes all invoices, receipts and credit debit notes)

Actually i am evaluating Alpha Five and wanted to see how can I creat the reports that my clients require and infact client can require any type of report so i am considering whether i can do all things I am currently doing

so please help me to learn basics and then i will be here with you at this forum to help others. But if i am not satisfied it will be difficult for me to switch to Alpha Five

Thanks
      Last edited by khawar; 05-13-2008, 03:34 PM. Reason: Correct

Comment

Khawar,

If your invoice and payment records were present in the same table, distinguished by say a "transaction type" field, then the top part of your report is trivial. Get the beginning customer balance (presumably from a 3rd table you haven't mentoned) and then filter and sort this "combined" table so that only records for the customer are included, and sort them by transaction date.

If combining your tables is not an option, you will need to create what is often called a temporary table, populate it with records from both invoice and payment tables, and then base your report on the temporary table. The temp table can be emptied after the report has run. The process of filling the temp table, running the report, and emptying the temp table is usually very quick.

Does this make sense?

Comment

Khawar,

This will actually be easier in Alpha than it was with VB or (I believe) Access and you won't have to buy a report writer.

I have done both reports in Crystal and Alpha. Will be doing it again very shortly in Alpha.

I have one table for payments and one for sales(could use just one). Will utilize the 2 tables plus the customer(for the names) table in sets to accomplish the task.
          Actually, mine will be harder as there will be payments due that have no table, they will be brought into an array with finance fees and payoffs and a few other figures done on the fly and then being put into a report.

Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

This is done using Tom's temp table to give you an idea = altogether 15- 20 minutes to make tables, basic form, 2 reports. Showing one. Of course, it is a throw away for me son it's like a tire(It ain't pretty).

Lets you know you can make whatever you want(almost in alpha).

Hope Tom doesn't mind I used his idea to help you.

Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Can any one creat a simple example for me just using customer, invoice, invoice line item and payments tables and a ledger report for me

it would be a great favor

thanks

Khawar

Comment

Khawar, help us help you. Prepare simple tables and dummy data and zip them for posting here.

Comment

Hi tom i have created a little sample and attached it as you said

kindly make a ledger report for me which should prompt that ledger for which customer and for which time period to be viewed

for simplicity i have added data for only one customer

thanks

Khawar

Comment

Stuck something together fast for you. It sould give you a bit of a start to do your own. It is not sofisticated, but works and lets you see what is happening.

You did say you did this in VB??

I redid a couple tables so they had dates and a id field so look carefully. It uses a temp table for the report based on date.

Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I have worked out the customer ledger report and it is the first time i created a report in alpha five so ignore if interface is not good looking

Thanks to Dave who suggested me the way to do it

I uploaded the sample

Code is behind the customer ledger button. I used xbasic because using saved operations was asking for customerid variable twice so i converted it to xbasic and used one variable for two operations i-e posting invoices and posting receipts to temporary table.

Also i made some changes in structure added a total invoice value field which is updated by setting posting rule to the extension field in invoiceLineItems Table to get the invoice total in the Invoice Header table for using in ledger also I removed the date column added by Dave in LineItems Table coz its not needed i just want invoice total in customer ledger and not individual items

After posting to temporary table I created a set named CustomerLedger to get customer name and based the report on that set

I also added a calculated field on report named "BalDue" to summarize the current status of customer which states whether balance is payable to customer or receivable from customer according to closing balance of customer

This is shown at the end of the report

After doing all this I added a second report named CustomerLedger2 just for learning purpose or say an alternative to the previous approach
                      This reports displays same data but the difference is that it opens without any form takes parameters on OpenEvent of report and shows ledger of provided CustomerId
                      all scripting is performed on open event of report

Now one thing left if I add the date range parameter in report so that ledger could be viewed for some specific period how to get the opening balance before that specific period which is ths sum of all Invoices less sum of all receipts before that period

Thanks

Khawar

Comment

Thanks to Dave who suggested me the way to do it
                        It was Tom Cone's method.

you can add an xbasic to set dates and make a filter in the report to handle it.

Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Sorry thanks to Tom also and all of you participating in this board

Dave setting filter is Ok but i want previous balance for example if I view ledger for the month of May 2008 to date i also want to show what was the balance of customer before may 2008 for reference see attached report in my first post first line is showing the opening balance

thanks

Khawar

Comment

Here's an approach that does not use saved append operations to populate the temp table. Unzip the attachment to an empty folder.

Run the only script you'll find on the Code page of the Control Panel. ("Simple Ledger 1 Customer"). Select Customer A, and a date range of May 1, 2008 to May 30, 2008.

The script is pretty rough and could be optimized quite a bit, but it illustrates how one might populate the temp table with field values and computed values needed in the report. In the course of doing it's work it computes the beginning (prior) balance, and the running balance after each invoice or receipt.

Hope this helps. Holler if there are questions.

Later...
                            I've revised the report layout a bit, to separate the transaction amounts into separate debit and credit columns. No change to the script that populates the temp table. Sample_20080517_0956.zip is the latest.

-- tom
                            Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 05-17-2008, 10:00 AM. Reason: Attach revised example

Comment

hi Tom first of all thanks and sorry for that i was on holiday and today i am checking your messages

Its too late at night so i will look at it tomorrow

Thanks for your king attention

Khawar

Comment

Working...
                              X