Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Where should Addins_installed be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where should Addins_installed be?

What's going on? As of A5v8 I thought the Addins_installed folder was supposed to be under the Windows "Application Data" folder. That works fine in A5v8 but I just put my A5v9 addins there and A5v9 doesn't recognize them at all. I thought this new location was required because of Vista?

I put the Addins_installed folder back under my A5v9 executable folder and now they work fine!

Are others seeing this same thing?

Re: Where should Addins_installed be?

Cal,
    Maybe they fixeded it?
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Cal,

This seemed to have changed again. On the weekend I installed the latest patch and my addins no longer worked. on investigation I found a new folder called 'Installations'. I placed the addins there and now they work again. I did not try placing them in the A5v9 executable folder.
      Actual path is
      ...Application Data\Alpha Software\Alpha Five Version 9\Installations\DMyProgramsa5v9\addins_installed
      Your path will be different according to where a5 is installed. ie the second last folder name.
      I remember when v8 was in beta that for a while it also used the Installations folder. So if you have multiple installations on the same computer the info would be kept seperate.
      Tim Kiebert
      Eagle Creek Citrus
      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Cal,

What does the following do on your system/version?

?a5_getaddinsinstalledfolder()
        = "C:\Program Files\A5V8\addins_installed"
        ?a5_getaddinsinstalledfolder("user")
        = "C:\Documents and Settings\Ira\Application Data\Alpha Software\Alpha Five Version 8\Addins_Installed"
        ?a5.get_exe_name()
        = "alpha5.exe"
        ?a5_getapplicationdatafolder()
        = "C:\Documents and Settings\Ira\Application Data\Alpha Software\Alpha Five Version 8"
        ?a5.Get_Exe_Path()
        = "C:\Program Files\A5V8"

How are you determining the path? Is it in your install or via Alpha?
        Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
        Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
        New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
        CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
        CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post
          What's going on? As of A5v8 I thought the Addins_installed folder was supposed to be under the Windows "Application Data" folder. That works fine in A5v8 but I just put my A5v9 addins there and A5v9 doesn't recognize them at all. I thought this new location was required because of Vista?

I put the Addins_installed folder back under my A5v9 executable folder and now they work fine!

Are others seeing this same thing?
          a5 looks for addins in two places.
          first place is the addins_install folder in the executable. this is for addins that are installed by an installer that has permission to write to this folder.

then it also looks in the user addin folders.

the folder names can be seen in the Interactive window:

?A5_GetAddinsInstalledFolder("system")

?A5_GetAddinsInstalledFolder("user")

Comment

Great! Now I have to go back and change every one of my addin installers and a few apps so they will look at the correct A5v9 "addins_installed" folder.

Yes, I know I probably should have checked using the A5_GetAddinsInstalledFolder() but, Selwyn, please remember when making changes to folder locations that many of us use 3rd party installers which means that folder changes can wreak havok with our installation routines. There was no reason to think it would change for A5v9 and there was nothing in the Help file or the Release Notes that mentioned the change.

For those who have my addins - sorry but it will be a few days before I can get them all updated, again.

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
              a5 looks for addins in two places.
              first place is the addins_install folder in the executable. this is for addins that are installed by an installer that has permission to write to this folder.

then it also looks in the user addin folders.

Just to avoid confusion, Selwyn listed both places but not necessarily in the order used. (Although, now that I think about it, that might be the order in v9 but it wasn't in v8.) If two different aex files with the same name (presumably one would be an update of the other) are placed so that one is in the "exe" addins_installed and the other is in the "user" addins_installed, the one in the "user" addins_installed will take precedence. At least this is the way it was in A5v8. It's late now and it takes awhile to run the test so I'll try to test it in v9 later this week.

I hope it continues to work this way in v9 and future versions. The most likely scenarios I can think of would either:
              (A) put an "accidental" installation in the "exe" addins_installed folder because of updating an application from an earlier version of A5 or,
              (B) put an original aex file in the "exe" folder then create an update designed to be run by anyone and put it in the "user" folder.

The only other problem I know of is getting A5 to update to the newest version because it doesn't seem to pay attention to the date of the aex file. Ira provided some possible solutions in a V8 thread:
              Originally posted by csda1 View Post
              A parameter to force the rebuild was added in a later version of a5v8 to a5_libraries_synchronize(). To force it, use
              a5_libraries_synchronize(.T.)

However, I have found there are conditions that the rebuild does not happen. You can tell if it happened by looking at the file date/time stamp of Addin_library.aex To help the process along in version 8 and later, delete the file returned by
              a5_getaddinlibrarylistfilename()
              if it exists before the synchronize.

If you have this problem on your development machine, another solution is to go to the A5 Control Panel and click "Tools" / "Addin Manager" and uncheck one of your addins. Then close the dialog and re-open it, recheck the addin that was previously unchecked, and close the dialog again. This forces A5 to update all the addins.

It would be nice if automatically checking the date of the aex files could be added in a future update to A5. I, for one, am certainly not perfect enough to build addins that never need updating.

Comment

Hi Selwyn,

There is a consistent solution that could be applied to help out installers from here forward.

All that is needed is to create a couple of registry keys (and tell programmers about them) that contain the locations that installers need to know about, e.g. exe name & path, addins path, application data path. With these values, the installer could read and properly write to the correct directories.

Hi Cal,

Although it is a big overhead, it is possible to run some code on startup of Alpha Five, that saves these values to a file that the installer could use. Kind of using a sledge hammer where a hammer would do, but it would always work.
                Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Working...
                X