Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

RTF to Character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTF to Character

i finally completed my database, mostly.

I have all the forms made, so I populated it.
    Its all very nice.

Now that its populated I decided to make a report.
    One field, "TASK" I put on the report, I tried to make it BOLD and LARGER.
    When I preview the report is back to small!

I decided that the problem was that this field is an RTF Memo field.
    So I try some coding to convert it, no luck.

I decide that, having that be BOLD is much more important that having an RTF field. In fact it may be better, not that everything is complete!

So, I back up my database.
    Lucky me. I absolutely LOVE the backup feature.
    VERY nice!

I go to the Task Table and convert the task field from RTF to Character (255)

I then open my main Tasklist form.
    The data shows in the Browse control
    But will NOT show anywhere else.

I tried removing the control from the form
    and remaking it.

It still does not work

I try making a new record
    NOPE.

I attached my database, PRE_problem
    but anyone can duplicate it.

Question? can my RTF field be changed to a Character field without remaking all the forms etc.

or

Is there a way to make the RTF fields be bold on the report
    (without setting it bold in ever single record)

Re: RTF to Character

Hi Cooper,

A couple of things spring out here.

First, with a RTF you set the text format when the text is being entered, the same as you would with a Word document.

Second, now you have changed the field from RTF to character, did you change it on the report?

I think you will need to check that the report can see the field properly and then you will be able to set it to bold.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Cooper,
      can my RTF field be changed to a Character field without remaking all the forms etc.
      If a field ever has to be changed the preferable way is to change all at once sort of...that is if you change the structure as you did from rtf to character you actually deleted a field and created a new one. Which means you have to place the new character field back onto your forms and browses...and get rid of the other. Some simply prefer to have the errors come up and use the Trace window do find out where they occur especially when it affects several forms---I find that while this works great most of the time there have been other times when it ended up corrupting my form so bad I ended up rebuilding it...but then I seem to not have much luck when it comes to these things! :)

Regarding having BOLD in your RTF on a report it works but heed what Keith said---the RTF field on your report is one and the SAME as the one on your form, etc....and if it is not anywhere but on the report then changes are to be done either using xbasic or the object explorer. IOW you cannot change the field's properties like you are attempting.
      Last edited by MikeC; 05-24-2008, 07:35 PM.
      Mike

Comment

Thanks for the ideas.

I think I did not make things clear.

1. I know I can just make formating changes in the RTF box, and it will show on the report. but I discovered that after the fact. Now that I know this, Its more important to have a nice printout, than to have RTF in that field.

IN short I changed my mind. I Now want this field to be a character.

OK.... so now I want to change it.

I go to the table, and change the field to character.

now I go back to my forms.
        the browser control still shows the data in the field
        the type in field does not.

I delete the type in field, make a new one!
        the NEW one does not show the data.
        the new type in has the RTF tool bar attached also.

So I make a NEW form, totally new from scratch
        I put the task and the task notes on the new form

the task notes works fine, the task does not!

download my database and give it a try.

Question is???

1. Is there a way to convert the RTF to a character, and make it work.

2. Failing that, and I understand it may not be possible
        How do I make a NEW field, thats a character field
        and fill it with the data in the original RTF field.

I am thinking, make new field, populate it. point all the controls to it. then delete the old field?

thanks

Comment

Here you go.

Comment

Cooper,

I see the problem exactly as you describe. I would report that as a bug. In the mean time here is a method to get you going.

Make a new character type field - size up to 255. Call it say Task2
            Run an Update operation on the task_table - General tab - Assign a Calculated Value to a field - choose the Task2 field
            For the expression use - Rtf_Field_To_Text("Task")

You should now have a character field with the correct data

Now go back and edit the table structure. Change the name of the Task field to something else say Task1 then change the new character field to Task.

The form field objects should now be seeing the new character field instead of the old memo field. Only problem will be that the display size of the form objects will still be set to 10 so you will need to change that on the format tab of the properties dialog.

=============================================

You originaly wanted to have the text in the task field set to a certain format in the report. But since it was an rtf field it used its own formatting. You could still have accomplished that (and in case you might need it for something else) by using a calculated field and the function used to convert the memo to text. You would create a calculated value for the report using - Left(rtf_field_to_Text("task_table->Task"),100) - and place that on the report instead of the actual field. The 100 in the expression would depend on how much of the text you would want displayed.

=============================================

PS
            I agree that the improved bubble help is powerful new feature. However having it popup all the time could drive some users batty. Even while experimenting with your form it started to annoy me abit (it kept getting in the way). You might try setting a larger delay time. I set it to 1000 (1 sec)
            Tim Kiebert
            Eagle Creek Citrus
            A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

I attempted the calculated field, but I just used the rtf to text command
              I did not put 100 in it!

I will have to retry that method.
              I am not sure whats better, limiting people to 255 characters for a task title
              or allowing it to be as big as possible.

tough choice!

I did set the form to have the bubble text turned off and on!
              check it out
              there is a button on the form to do just that.
              I have to play goofy with the code, but I was able to do it!

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by coop9653 View Post
                I attempted the calculated field, but I just used the rtf to text command
                I did not put 100 in it!

The 100 is not in the rtf_field_to_text function but in the Left() function. The rtf_field_to_text gets the whole lot and the left function limits the value to whatever. I found that I had to fully qualify the field name in the rtf_field_to_text to get it to work. ie "task_table->Task" instead of "Task".

I will have to retry that method.
                I am not sure whats better, limiting people to 255 characters for a task title
                or allowing it to be as big as possible.

tough choice!

I did set the form to have the bubble text turned off and on!
                check it out
                there is a button on the form to do just that.
                I have to play goofy with the code, but I was able to do it!

Ahh yes, I missed that. You may want to check out this thread in the v7 forum about turning bubble help on and off.

thanks
                Tim Kiebert
                Eagle Creek Citrus
                A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Ahh, I searched for bubble help and help etc
                  and did not see this thread.

His code does the same thing as mine
                  but he uses an array to get every object on the form!
                  much more elegant!

the concept is
                  save the bubble help text to a variable.
                  set the text to nothing
                  restore text from variable

I played with the idea of putting the bubble text into a table
                  then you could more easily change the text

this could be useful with V9, where you now have HTML bubble help on the browse window.

You can use the bubble help to show more details of the record!
                  Like I do with this one.

You use the extra table to allow the user to select the level of detail they wish, and the delay for the popup.

I can see lots of very nifty uses for this!

Comment

Working...
                  X