Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

tp.index_set("fpinumber") = Incorrect data type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tp.index_set("fpinumber") = Incorrect data type

I have a dialog box where the user can select any one of five search catagories. It all works execpt for lines 97 - 100. The field "Fpinumber" is in another table, "t_findings". This is the part of the code where I'm getting an error message: Line 99: Arguement is incorrect data type. I checked the index name, spelling, table name, etc., all is correct. Where or what am I missing?

Thanks much,

kenn

94 case rslt = "okmx"
    95 topparent.index_set("maxis_numbe")
    96 topparent.find(Maxisnumber)
    97 case rslt = "okfpi"
    98 tp = table.open("t_findings")
    99 tp.index_set("fpinumber")
    100 tp.find(fpinumber)
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Re: tp.index_set("fpinumber") = Incorrect data type

Kenn

What is tp.index_set()?

Do you mean tp.index_primary_put("<indexname>")?

Is the snow clearing out up there yet??? It's warm down here at the south end of Wisconsin...
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Re: tp.index_set(&quot;fpinumber&quot;) = Incorrect data type

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post
      Kenn

What is tp.index_set()?

Do you mean tp.index_primary_put("<indexname>")?

Is the snow clearing out up there yet??? It's warm down here at the south end of Wisconsin...
      Hi Al,

Using tp.index_primary_put("fpinumber>")

moves the Incorrect Data Type to the next line,

tp.find(fpinumber)

The ice finaly went out 12 days ago. Everything is about 3 weeks behind.

Thanks,

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

As Al pointed out, you're mixing form and table methods.
        topparent.find() will work on a form. Using a table pointer you need a table pointer method like tp.fetch_find() or tp.fetch_goto().
        Finian

Comment

Finian

Thanks. You explained Kenn's dilemma better than I.
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

My form is based on a 2 table set, t_clients (parent) and t_findings, the child linked one to many. The user will select one of five fields in the dialog box to search for a record. Four of the five fields are in the parent table and the other is in the child table. The code for the four in the parent table works well but it's the fifth one that is stubborn.

Earlier, Finnian and Al said I cannot mix form and table methods. Are you saying that the code for the table method must be on a separate button?

Also, since the form is based on the set, the child table is open, right? Should I not be able to refer to the child table? If so, what is the correct syntax? I've tried various code but so far, no success.

Thanks for the help.

kenn

Comment

Kenn

Go back to the help file and look at the table methods and the form (<object>) methods.

Then use a table pointer with a table method.

Or use form methods without using the table pointer.

That's where the mix up is.

ie
              table pointer is tp
              form method is index_set()

so as Finnian suggested, use
              tp.index_primary__put("<indexname>")
              tp.fetch_find(<valuetofind>)

or

topparent.index_set()
              topparent.find()

but don't mix them together.... they are like oil and water.
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Ken,
                Also, since the form is based on the set, the child table is open, right? Should I not be able to refer to the child table?
                Correct But Alpha does not necessarily know about the set when using the table methods---in this case you can first open the parent of the set, then the child...Alpha will then Know of a relationship (a "guru" one time told me to do this in a similar situation and sure seemed to work fine!). OR use maybe <TBL>.CHILD_GET() if that doesn't work.

LATER:
                Earlier, Finnian and Al said I cannot mix form and table methods. Are you saying that the code for the table method must be on a separate button?
                I think it means to use ONE then the OTHER....just not mixed together--same button but different part of the script.
                Last edited by MikeC; 05-26-2008, 12:24 AM. Reason: more info
                Mike

Comment

Hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse but I think a bit more clarification might be helpful.

Originally posted by forskare View Post
                  No, feel free to put them all in one script. Just don't use one when you should be using the other.

.find() is used with forms.
                  .fetch_find() is used with tables.
                  They are similar but not interchangeable.

.index_set() is used with forms. (Also, .index_setverify() )
                  .index_primary_put() is used with tables.
                  They are similar but not interchangeable.

Originally posted by forskare View Post
                  Also, since the form is based on the set, the child table is open, right? Should I not be able to refer to the child table? If so, what is the correct syntax?
                  Can you refer to the child table? Yes. But NOT with table.open(). I believe that many of us were doing that for years when we should have been using something else. Table.open() opens the table in a completely different session that doesn't know anything about what is happening in your form. You can use many other methods but you do have to be careful. If multiple forms are open, I believe the table.get() will refer to the parent form but I'm not sure.

tp = table.get("<ChildTableName>")
                  But, if you have multiple forms open and two or more happen to use the same table, which one will you get? My guess is that it would be the one in the current form but I'm not sure. If the table isn't in the current form, will it get it from a different form?? What if two different forms use that table?? (As I said, you have to be careful how you use these commands.)

tp = parentform:tables:<ChildTableName>.this
                  or, probably easier in many cases (I use this a LOT now - didn't used to):
                  MyVar = parentform:tables:<ChildTableName>.<FieldName>

A modification of the above when you have multiple forms open:
                  fp = form.view()
                  MyVar = fp:tables:<ChildTableName>.<FieldName>

tp = table.current(<slot number>)
                  I don't like using this last one except when refering to only the topmost table (i.e., just tc = table.current() with no slot number ) because I've been known to modify a set and mess up all the slot numbers then have to go back and change all scripts that reference any changed slot numbers. What a nightmare!

tc = table.current() can be used in the FIELD rules and will ALWAYS refer to the table that the field rule is in. I use this for "standard" scripts, some of which are set up as keyboard macros such as this script I use in the CanSave event of many of my tables - it takes 3 keystrokes to type this, including the comment, using a keyboard macro:
                  Code:
                  tc = table.current()
                  tc.change_dtf = date()
                  'used only if a *script* creates the record but doesn't include the creation date:
                  IF tc.create_dtf = {}
                      tc.create_dtf = date()
                  END IF
                  If you use table.current() in forms, buttons, etc. (outside of field rule events) then it's up to you to be sure it's refering to the correct table.

Comment

Working...
                  X