Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Using Smart Card Reader or/and Barcode reader with Alpha5 V9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Smart Card Reader or/and Barcode reader with Alpha5 V9?

Is it possible to use a Smart Card Reader or/and Barcode reader with Alpha5 V9??
    And how could that be done??
    Any demo code or something ???

Thank you for your help in advance.

Re: Using Smart Card Reader or/and Barcode reader with Alpha5 V9?

Bar code readers and card readers are input devices that act like a keyboard. They will work with any type of software that takes keyboard input. There is no "special" software or coding that has to be done.
    Bill Griffin
    Parkell, Inc

Comment

How would you read the data from the smart card? I have a smart card reader for our clock in/out machine but when you plug the reader into the USB port it does not show up as a drive. I would like to incorporate it directly into our database rather than use the one supplied but I do not know how to get to the data.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Geoff

Comment

Well I don't think you can just assume that all card readers work the same. There are many, many manufacturers (hundreds? thousands?) . All devices are not designed to do what you may think they should do. If you have a card reader that works with a time clock, it may very well not be a "keyboard type" device. You would have to ask that question to the manufacturer of the reader.
        Bill Griffin
        Parkell, Inc

Comment

Thanks Bill.

I did some hunting around and found a demo in visual basic. Unfortunately I do not have visual basic and have never used it. The reader is a SCR335 manufactured by SCM Microsystems.

The visual basic demo can be found at http://www.scmmicro.com/support/pcs_...ds.php?lang=en
          under development tools.

If anyone has VB and the time to print the program code for me it would be appreciated. I will look into the cost of VB but I suspect it will be expensive.

Thanks.

Comment

I guess the real question is what are you trying to do? There are card readers that will act like a keyboard, you swipe the card and the data is "typed" into a field. THese can be had for as little as hundred dollars. (google keyboard wedge card reader) You can pack quite a bit of info on one of these cards and some is in a standard format, others not. So I guess it depends on your application and the format that your existing cards are in.
            Bill Griffin
            Parkell, Inc

Comment

I use barcode handheld readers, slot readers and laser readers.

You will have to capture the info from the USB port with software like winwedge 32
              Winwedge captures the info and puts it into the keyboard buffer to be processed.

Or you could capture the info in the USB port and write to a text file and inport into Alpha.
              My Unitech USB Scanners have a keyboard buffer built in

Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Charlie

Thanks for the link to the winwedge software! I had not seen that before...it will come in very handy it looks like for a couple of projects I have coming up.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Charlie,

I too need to capture bar code information where the user scans the bar code, populates the field, and allows the user to do whatever. I have a cheap scanner (USB) attached that populates the input field (code 39), but I hearing from the posts that I may need an intermediary piece of software to properly handle the keyboard input like in winwedge ??

Thanks,

Ryland

Comment

I have a cheap scanner (USB) attached that populates the input field (code 39)
                    If it is working, you don't need anything else.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Thxs for the quick response..

Ryland

Comment

What Stan said....plus...most of these type of barcode readers are known as keyboard wedge type readers which means they emulate a keyboard with the output they send to the pc. If you don't have this type of reader....I would get one as they are inexpensive and eliminate any other monkey business with needing other software, etc. Since the output of the barcode reader is just like typing on the keyboard it makes barcoding work very easily inside Alpha (or any app for that matter). Just keep in mind that you need a * before and after your string to be scanned. So if you were to scan a work order for example and the number is 5678 you would make that*5678* and make the font the 3of9 for that string and you will be all set.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Thanks, all I'm doing is scanning (not a wedge) but a hand scanner like Symbol, the item from reader that is attached to the USB, and then places the item number in the field which I'm hoping the 'onactivate' will pick up and find the associated items with it. If I have to place the * before and after the record, then I guess I need to pick an scanner that has that option.

Is this right ?? Ryland

Comment

Ryland

As I recall the * before and after the character string is required for proper formatting of the code 3of9 and using the keyboard wedge barcode readers. If you are getting a valid scan of whatever you are scanning then no need to do anything. The scanners I have used automatically send a carriage return after the scan(it's pogrammable but that is the default) so it is easy to use one of Alpha's field events to then do the search automatically. I do this all the time. FWIW, I used the ondepart event on the field to fire off my search.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Hi Bill,

Originally posted by Bill Griffin View Post
                              Bar code readers and card readers are input devices that act like a keyboard. They will work with any type of software that takes keyboard input. There is no "special" software or coding that has to be done.
                              What you said is only partially true, but is the way most simple users tend to use it. They place the cursor into a specific field, and then scan the barcode (or rfid unit, etc.)

But that is not the real power. I have coded for clients generic barcode scripts (not ready for regular release, but 95% there) that does things like if in view mode, does a find of the barcode, and if not found, goes into enter mode, inserts the barcode into the appropriate field, but leaves the cursor for normal entry. If in change mode, it will just enter the value into the correct field withoutmoving the cursor.

There are also many options to my code, like scanning, record the barcode, and save the record, etc. Add to that the ability to play wave sounds if the scan was good or bad, etc, so that even in a large warehouse using wireless scanners, you can tell if the scan was good or not without looking up.

So yes, the scanning doesn't require code, but using it in the best way in an application does.

On the reverse end, generating the barcode sometimes requires various checksums to be generated, as well as prefix & suffix codes and using it with a font. This can get complex for some checksums, and some are less defined as others, and even vary for the same barcode type depending upon which industry the barcode is used.
                              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                              New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Working...
                              X