Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

One Table for customers and vend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Table for customers and vend

Hi,

I am creating a brand new application and trying to think of better ways to design my application, what I would like to know, is it a good idea to make one table to store customer and vendor header info like name, address, account no., credit limit, ect. or this is NOT a good practice and should be keeped in two different tables?
    Kind Regards,
    Ray Roosa
    Raylin Micro, LLC.

Re: One Table for customers and vend

Originally posted by Rayr View Post
    Hi,

I am creating a brand new application and trying to think of better ways to design my application, what I would like to know, is it a good idea to make one table to store customer and vendor header info like name, address, account no., credit limit, ect. or this is NOT a good practice and should be keeped in two different tables?
    Ray, you are way ahead of me in database development so I feel uncomfortable sharing my input. But I am curious what others might have to say on this subject. I have had this same question many times.

I have seen tables called "NAMES" that seem to be used to hold all the contact header information regardless of the type of contact. But I prefer to keep them separate since I treat customers and vendors differently in my business. I sell to customers and I buy from vendors. Having these names in two different tables makes sense to me and allows me to set up relationships to other tables differently depending on whether the activity is selling or buying.

I suppose it would make a difference if you routinely sold items to your vendors (which makes you vendors your customers) and also routinely purchased items from your customers (making them also vendors). This is rare in my business and if I sell to a vendor I just enter a record into the customer file and that contact ends up with two records, one in the VENDOR table and one in the CUSTOMER table.

The number of times that each contact may end up in both tables is small so I like the clean separation of names into the two types. I think this also follows the suggestions of relational database theory, which I have a hard time following. But in general I understand that any data type that has it's own category should be in it's own table.

That's my two cents.

Sean

Comment

I am in the process of updating a system now and this version has vendors and cusomers combined in a contacts table. Previous version had them separate. User confusion is what pushed us to a combined table, but there can also be confusion with a combined table.

In favor of combining is that there is no possibility of conflicting address, email, etc. between the files. But you must decide how lookup list should be displayed. We have fields for vendor, customer, etc. that are used to filter the lookup, but what if those fields are not accurate, or have changed? We use a custom lookup so user can toggle to display all records if they don't see a contact record they think has been entered.

Quickbooks uses separate tables, but requires that the contact name be unique between tables since some displays combine all names. This seemed the worst of both worlds to me.

Bill.

Comment

Hi Bill,
        I use one table named Directory to hold all contacts and assign a Type to each. I use an auto increment DIRCODE and an editable DIR_ID for displaying to the user. The foreign keys used in the linking tables is where I differentiate by Type to filter my lookup lists. I have SHIP_ID, VEND_ID and CUST_ID which can look up the same DIR_ID field from one table and fill in the hidden SHIPCODE, VENDCODE or CUSTCODE so I can have more than one link in those tables.

For example my packing slip form has both a customer and a shipper. My user types in the DIR_ID name he knows (like QB) for each one, and doesn't have to deal with the true link which is DIRCODE. If he wants to edit the DIR_ID later, the DIRCODE field doesn't change which allows a post to the related records in the other tables. So my PS_HDR table example has 4 fields, which gets a little more complicated for designing but works intuitively in my forms.

In my Phone List form the user can filter the list by Type and the form he zooms to displays dependent upon the Type but to the same table. Which makes the form design easier also.

I started with multiple tables too, but like this better. At least the fields my scripts have to reference for the Directory table are always the same ones.
        Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

I also keep the real linking field hidden, because in my case it is a guid. That is why the custom lookup is required - to insure if the lookup list is opened again that the linking field is used to position the lookup list, not the displayed name field which is not guaranteed unique.

I previously entered a new feature request where a "linking field" could be defined separate from the lookup field. This would be different than the coded lookup that is now available. In a coded lookup the linking value is stored in the field, but the "name" is displayed. I needed both.

Bill.

Comment

Thank you to all that replyed. I will try using one table called names.
            Kind Regards,
            Ray Roosa
            Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

Hear are some helpful links from Amazon.com:

The Data Model Resource Book, Vol. 1: A Library of Universal Data Models for All Enterprises (Paperback)

The Data Model Resource Book, Vol. 2: A Library of Data Models for Specific Industries (Paperback)

If you find yourself designing a system in an area where you have not worked before, these books are invaluable. The problem in this post is covered in Chapter 3 People and organizations

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0471380237/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

Bob McGaffic
              Pittsburgh

Comment

I think that the proper way is to keep the VENDOR and CUSTOMER tables separate.

Just like designing any database, data should be broken down into its individual segments. CUSTOMERS / VENDORS / SALES ORDERS / PURCHASE ORDERS

They all have unique characteristics about them. It may work, initially to have them share a table, but it will may make it difficult to add feature enhancements later on. But, this is just my opinion on database design. It may add more work initially but long term, it allows for much easier maintenance and modification.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkey View Post
                  I think that the proper way is to keep the VENDOR and CUSTOMER tables separate.

Just like designing any database, data should be broken down into its individual segments. CUSTOMERS / VENDORS / SALES ORDERS / PURCHASE ORDERS

They all have unique characteristics about them. It may work, initially to have them share a table, but it will may make it difficult to add feature enhancements later on. But, this is just my opinion on database design. It may add more work initially but long term, it allows for much easier maintenance and modification.
                  Hi Mark,

Thank you for your input, I respect what you are saying here to a point, customers buy from you and vender we buy from, that said the customers and vendors both have allot in common as for the structure of the table, they both have name, address, city, state, zip, phone, fax no.,account number, credit limit, terms, ect. so my thinking process right now is to make a name table to hold all that info with a name type controle field, aka vendor, customer, other then make sets one with purchase order and one with invoices, ect.

I am still thinking this threw and playing with design ideas and you may be very well right or I may hit a brick wall at some point with my design, I dont know yet. If anyone else has something to add to my design thoughts please let me know.
                  Kind Regards,
                  Ray Roosa
                  Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

Mark and....,
                    I believe it to be only a matter of personal preference and db maintenance. Take this as an example:

A db has customers/businesses. Businesses can mean--clients (which can also be broken down into Active and InActive), vendors (suppliers), technical (fixing or diagnostic), personal, and probably many more.

All of these have the same requirements regarding the information needed such as Address, Phone, Contacts, etc..
                    All of these can easily be filtered to only show what is wanted ....I usually do this via a combo dropdown box.

As such I see no reason to have them in separate tables unless you have so many that the 2gb limitation could come into play. But if wanted a separate table could be created for each----but then think of the increased set size that possibly could result which would/could cause problems (complex/large sets seem to have caused problems for people).

For me, it seems that having them all in the same table would be a more normalized db.

Just another opinion! :)
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                      Mark and....,
                      I believe it to be only a matter of personal preference and db maintenance. Take this as an example:

A db has customers/businesses. Businesses can mean--clients (which can also be broken down into Active and InActive), vendors (suppliers), technical (fixing or diagnostic), personal, and probably many more.

All of these have the same requirements regarding the information needed such as Address, Phone, Contacts, etc..
                      All of these can easily be filtered to only show what is wanted ....I usually do this via a combo dropdown box.

As such I see no reason to have them in separate tables unless you have so many that the 2gb limitation could come into play. But if wanted a separate table could be created for each----but then think of the increased set size that possibly could result which would/could cause problems (complex/large sets seem to have caused problems for people).

For me, it seems that having them all in the same table would be a more normalized db.

Just another opinion! :)
                      I would politely disagree to the extent that by having customers and vendors in the same table. If they both are in the same table you have to add extra logic in your application to distinguish between the two. Also, when adding in new customers or vendors, each record has to be marked as to its type. A simple keystroke error could have a vendor record being marked as a customer and vice versa.

By using separate tables, customers are always customers and vendors are always vendors. Not to mention how to handle a situation where a customer could also be a vendor.

A better thought might be to have three tables:

VENDOR
                      CUSTOMER
                      ADDRESSES

and then set-up primary and foreign keys so that all the address information can be combined into one table, but the unique customer and vendor data would be separate. ;)

BTW, most of my opinions stem from some past experience dealing with clients who, for all their knowledge, are sometimes completely inept when using computer software. Thus the KISS method of design.

Keep It Simple Stupid, ( not for me but for the end user. )

Database Skills Blog
                      Last edited by sparkey; 05-30-2008, 04:06 PM.

Comment

:)

Again I really do think it is more of a personal preference as each method does have its pros and cons. You mentioned the "cons" of having all in a common table but when I look at the "pros" they outweigh them --for ME that is! :)

By far the best thing I like when having all in the same table as a user of a software that have various types of companies is this:

When in a form a simple combo box that shows "Type" of company can be used to filter the same form and only the one table/set the form is based on is opened.

Along with what we are discussing here and should be mentioned, if for no other reason than having uniformity within an application, is whether to have all the transactions in the same table or separate--that is having both income and expenses in one table or two....which also would apply to the allocations of the transactions whether being income allocations or expense allocations. The same goes for various Types of products for that matter.

My point is, where would you draw the line??? Matter of preference and database maintenance as far as I am concerned!! :)

And if we agree to disagree absolutely not a problem...always a good thing to have varying opinions to be able to get more out of an endeavor!
                        Mike

Comment

Ray and all,

Kinda from the old school here.

What "product(s)" are you selling. If the vendors are not customers, and even if they are. seperate tables makes better sense and maybe one for products.

I would NOT seperate addresses into seperate tables unless a lot of either had a lot of them and only then it was like shipping addresses.

Dang, Id like to see what the data type and what the flow of data really needs to be. Who to and where from is essential.

We need more info before anybody makes and real firm suggestions.

I do keep Insurance agents, banks, and vendors in one table for lookup purposes. the name and some other stuff is shared and some is seperated into diff fields, but there is a field that is an "id" for the type of vendor/etc. Easier to filter.

I see the above as customer.table - Vendor.table(for lookup) - product.table(for lookup) for the items. Sets can be setup for the various needs. this can be easy if done right.

Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by Rayr View Post
                            Hi Mark,

Thank you for your input, I respect what you are saying here to a point, customers buy from you and vender we buy from, that said the customers and vendors both have allot in common as for the structure of the table, they both have name, address, city, state, zip, phone, fax no.,account number, credit limit, terms, ect.
                            Vendors and Customers are superficially similar, but when it comes to application logic they have nothing in commmon. Therefore every single function you write for each of them will require code that prevents that function from happening for the other. Printing an AR report? Better make sure to filter out the vendors. Entering orders? don't let a vendor have an order! Printing checks? Not to customers! That credit limit field? Better make it disappear when they are looking at vendors. Will you have different security groups who can see one but not another? Add another where clause to every single query in your application that hits the table.

Hopefully this gets the idea across. You save a small amount of work and face endless headaches and bugs forever after trying to keep these things separate.

Another thing: were you planning to use foreign keys into or out of this table? So a customer is required to have a customer type but the vendor is forbidden, how do you enforce that? I don't want to know :o

This type of classic mistake can be avoided if you know a little secret: the simplest possible applications occur when you put items together into tables based on their purpose and function, not their field names. Doing it this way will often create tables with fields in common, but if you try to get "efficient" by combining the tables you lose so much in other areas that it is a big loss more than anything else.

Somebody else referenced my blog on this thread, but here is the particular article that goes through this: http://database-programmer.blogspot....s-this-is.html
                            The discussion of combined tables begins about halfway down.

Comment

Thank you Ken, great resource! I've got more reading to do!

Sean

Comment

Working...
                              X