Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

VFP FoxPro to Alpha5 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VFP FoxPro to Alpha5 Questions

Hi DaveM

Please see thumbnail of Dialog I created to Filter a report for the selected letter in a date range. Each Radio button is a variable to select which value the report is based on and the Dates also filter even further.
    Is this what you were asking, what can Alpha do?
    OK, I need to see the code that makes this dialog work, as that is where the magic is... I can make an identical looking form in VFP, and while the form looks identical, the underlying code is very very different, and I'm studing the difference between the two. Thanks...

Quote:
    Remeber, most users are not as smart as you!!
    I really don't think I that smart, but I do have a lot of experience writing code and dealing with all the issues of software development. I started writing unix applications 25 years ago, while doing VFP for 99% of my development since 1998. The applications I've created are imaging and accounting applications used in a lot of Kentucky courthouses managing their deedrooms with public viewer stations that the public can search millions of public records and instantly see an image of the deed or marriage record that was queried, or etc... Enough about me...

Comment

There is a pair of <tbl>.Locate_next/prev() commands that will search all fields (or a specific field) for any text. Each command only finds the next/prev record but these commands could be used in a script to search the whole table if that is what you need
      OK, by looking at your words "all" and "specific field" is it safe to assume that we cannot search multiple fields for a value in one pass? If true, then the behavior is the same in VFP. I know I can always do multiple passes...

This is important to me because when I was doing a lot of unix database programming, we could do this kind of searching:
      As an example we could have a field list that includes comp_name, agent, sales_rep.
      We could add a prefix to the fields such as A1_ so that the above fields would look like A1_comp_name, A1_agent, A1_sales_rep.
      By adding the prefix to it the field could be accessed by calling comp_name or A1_comp_name with no difference, unless you wanted to access the A1_ group, then searching A1_ would search all fields that was prefixed with A1_.

This was called associated field names and was a very powerfull and usefull feature. I truely miss that and when I read your article it sounded as though A5 done it too. I hope it does.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Stanley said:
        I need to master the code, and with the code I can create the search form or dialog the user will use, as I never use the canned stuff that comes with these apps as they are usually so generic they are useless except for the simplest requests

"Never" is a long time.
        And I mean that I have never used the provided search dialogs in our apps as they always fall short except for simple forms attached to single tables with no parent/child relationships. So instead of using the generic provided form for the simple stuff and another special form for the advanced searching, I create one form for it all to have a consistant look and feel. My users love it...

I recommend you get familiar with what's available before discarding it wholesale.
        At this point I am not discarding anything which is why we are having this dialog. Now if you are going to tell me that A5 can automatically create a search form that can search a 1 to many parent and child relationship form in both or either parent or child, then I'm all ears, as I will eagerly embrace this kind of power.

'Query By Form' for example is quite powerful and flexible.
        See previous comment...

Comment

Hi Tim,

I forgot to mention that in many instances you can CopyTo (often found on the rightclick menu) to another database with out having that database open. As far as reusing code, you can compile scripts into an .aex file and then add them to a database or even add them to a5 as an addin. You can also, in the database properties, specify another databases's dictionary and then all the functions therein are available to the current one.
          Thanks, this is good to know...

Comment

Hi Stanley,

Quote:
            Please see thumbnail of Dialog I created to Filter a report for the selected letter in a date range. Each Radio button is a variable to select which value the report is based on and the Dates also filter even further.
            Is this what you were asking, what can Alpha do?

OK, I need to see the code that makes this dialog work, as that is where the magic is... I can make an identical looking form in VFP, and while the form looks identical, the underlying code is very very different, and I'm studing the difference between the two. Thanks...
            I have attached the code that I built to create the dialog and filter the report. Most of this was built with AS, see thumbnail. "This is where the Magic is" and what I love about A5. Most of my time was testing the Case statement for typos etc.

The report then lists all members who received the specific letter within a date range.

I hope now you can get some sort of idea as to the flexibility and power when developing an application.

With your stated history of using VFP then you should have no difficulty with the logic that is used withing Alpha5 to build a substantial application.

I would be interested to know what sort of customers you would be developing for.
            Regards
            Keith Hubert
            Alpha Guild Member
            London.
            KHDB Management Systems
            Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Originally posted by stanlyn View Post
              OK, by looking at your words "all" and "specific field" is it safe to assume that we cannot search multiple fields for a value in one pass? If true, then the behavior is the same in VFP. I know I can always do multiple passes...

This is important to me because when I was doing a lot of unix database programming, we could do this kind of searching:
              As an example we could have a field list that includes comp_name, agent, sales_rep.
              We could add a prefix to the fields such as A1_ so that the above fields would look like A1_comp_name, A1_agent, A1_sales_rep.
              By adding the prefix to it the field could be accessed by calling comp_name or A1_comp_name with no difference, unless you wanted to access the A1_ group, then searching A1_ would search all fields that was prefixed with A1_.

This was called associated field names and was a very powerfull and usefull feature. I truely miss that and when I read your article it sounded as though A5 done it too. I hope it does.
              Sorry but I don't understand your difficulty with understanding "OR":

...all fields (or a specific field)...
              Read the Help file about the Locate_next command to learn more about it.

I'm more than willing to point people, especially new users, on this board to a specific function or help with a concept but, as already noted in a previous post on this thread, I've already rewritten the A5 Help file once and it's available for free. I'm not willing to rewrite each topic again on this message board. The official Help file is also available for free.

Comment

Stanley said:
                Now if you are going to tell me that A5 can automatically create a search form that can search a 1 to many parent and child relationship form in both or either parent or child, then I'm all ears, as I will eagerly embrace this kind of power.
                While Query by Form won't do this, the Query Genie will. Time spent with the default form for a set of tables will pay dividends for you. The Invoice form in AlphaSports is a great place to explore.

Comment

Sorry but I don't understand your difficulty with understanding "OR":
                  Quote:
                  ...all fields (or a specific field)...
                  I'm sorry, but I read your posting above to mean:

1. It will do "ALL FIELDS" fields, or
                  2. a specific field, (singular)

I have asked more than once will do specific fields? (plural), as your quotes only shows the singular approach or All fields... I got that the first time it was posted, and that is why I keep asking for clarification on the plural fields.

Comment

While Query by Form won't do this, the Query Genie will. Time spent with the default form for a set of tables will pay dividends for you. The Invoice form in AlphaSports is a great place to explore.
                    Thanks, I'm checking that out...

Comment

Read the Help file about the Locate_next command to learn more about it.
                      Locate_next is not coming up in the help file index... Why not if it is a valid command, it should be listed...

Wow, how weird... I found it as .Locate_next by searching for it... and it says "field" (singular)...

Copied from help file: Field_Name - Optional. Default = all fields. The name of the field to search.

Comment

Thanks Keith for the code as that speaks volumes. I'm having problems understanding all the -> (dash greater than signs) scatter all over. Point me to whever that stuff is covered.

Comment

Looking at the help file's index,

entries with a preceding dot is ????

while names without any preceding non-alphebetic characters are ????

and the preceding astrick entries,

Comment

Hi Stanley,

I think you are trying to gallop before you have got on the horse. I do not think from my own experience that you will learn too much about Xbasic trying to pick up on small details of syntax, but to try and answer your question.

eg:
                            'Execute inline Xbasic code.
                            var->letter_choice=""

Is simply setting the Var(from) -> (with the name of) Letter_Choice to be "" (empty of text). The -> is just a link, there is no value in either of the characters in this contaxt.

I hope that is a good explanation.
                            Regards
                            Keith Hubert
                            Alpha Guild Member
                            London.
                            KHDB Management Systems
                            Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Hi Stanley,
                              Except for a few of your questions, most answers to them could easily be found with just a modicum of searching either the help file or this messageboard. Although it gets easier to find the right function when you know it exists (of course!!), the help file can still be used with somewhat generic terms. An example are your search questions...use the words search, find, and locate with and without a prefixed period. A couple of tries and I found a menu which will lead you to almost all the functions related to finding things....Checking out the messageboard for threads relating to Alpha compared with whatever will also lead you to ones that probably have many of the same types of questions and answers we now have in this thread.

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp..._Functions.htm
                              Last edited by MikeC; 06-17-2008, 09:20 AM.
                              Mike

Comment

Hi Keith,

Yes, I know its been 5.5 years since we talked last...

>> In evaluating a language, the language needs to be able to do everything (100%)via code with no execptions. Does A5 fit here?
                                > There seems to be no end to what Alpha developers have achieved with Xbasic code, I think it depends on your imagination. Is there a particular test you have in mind?

OK, like

1. complete table creation from scratch,
                                2. complete table modification like adding and deleting columns, changing column definitions,
                                3. adding and deleting indexes, reindexing
                                4. all crud operations,
                                5. importing and exporting data,
                                6. creating finished forms from scratch,
                                7. setting the record order for tables,
                                8. applying a filter to the table,

Thanks, Stanley

Comment

Working...
                                X