Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Missing or hidden embedded browse properties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing or hidden embedded browse properties?

Where are the values for the following properties set for an embedded browse?
    Row height
    Row font and size
    Title row alignment

And while I�m at it, how does one change the fields displayed once the browse has been created, other than deleting it, and starting all over again?

I�m embarrassed to pose these questions; I successfully was able to modify these properties several months ago, and now can�t figure out how I did so then.

As seen in screen print 1, Several months ago I created a browse in A5V8, which had exactly the appearance I sought:

Titles could be right or left aligned, in addition to the default of center
    The row font was Tahoma 9 point
    The row height was automatically adjusted to accommodate this font size.

Perfect!

Earlier this week, I was creating a style sheet and couldn�t find the properties for the Browse control, so I created a new browse on a form and carefully looked for these properties.

I can�t find them. And my current Browse is shown in screen print 2.
    It doesn�t look nearly as attractive as screen print 1. Note that all column titles are centered, and that the font is smaller and the row heights are also smaller.

Can anyone tell me where these properties are maintained?

Thanks,
    Bob McGaffic
    Pittsburgh

Re: Missing or hidden embedded browse properties?

Bob,
    Use the Object Explorer for changing certain browse properties such as row height...View->Object Explorer.
    Regarding Browse I will give more than you want as unsure of what you want! :)

Changing the fields---design mode--click on a column wanted to change and then click again until the column turns dark...you can then right click and change properties. If you want to move the column use similar but when column is dark move your cursor to a column separation and the cursor will change to the double line and you can change the column width. Delete by highlighting column and right click choose delete. Add by using drag drop list.

Hope one or more of the above is what you are looking for!!

LATER: The row heights can also be changed if you have row selectors present...I normally don't so forgot about that.
    Last edited by MikeC; 06-21-2008, 08:57 PM. Reason: More info
    Mike

Comment

Thanks, any further ideas on browse column heading alignment?

Mike,

Thanks for reminding me that to set an object's properties, you have to

1. Select the control, right click, then Properties
      AND
      2. Select the control, right click, then View>Object Explorer.

First the good news:
      I was able to change the font and size of each field in the browse using the Explorer, but I had to make this change field by field. The height of the row was automatically adjusted to accomodate the font size (Thank you Alpha!) But wouldn't it be nice if A5V9 would have a Browse property of Font/Size in addition to the Field property of Font/Size. Nonethless, I am happy I have achieved the appearance I sought.

BUT the mystery remains for the alignment of the titles.
      I can't find in the browse's properties where this can be set.
      Using the Object Explorer, I can't find it either.

In Object Explorer, I see that you can change the alignment for individual fields, such as Align = "Left", but I can't find where it is set for the column texts of the browse.

As shown in my first screen print, somehow I successfully did this using A5V8, and A5V9 is correctly displaying my old browse, but I'm still puzzled on how to change the alignment on on the column texts.

Why is this important?

I'll share a Big 4 CPA financial reporting practice I learned years ago (anyone remember when there was the Big 8?): Left align text, Right align numbers. The data then naturally aligns with the column headings. It makes the information much easier to read. This simple trick makes your reports and Excel spreadsheets "snap", and hopefully we can apply it to our A5V9 Browses.

Thanks,
      Bob McGaffic
      Pittsburgh

Comment

Found it!

I just stumbled on the documentation that describes how column properties are set. This is where the alignment of column headings can be specified.

Yikes! I have to remember that customizing a browse requires ALL of the following:

1. Browse control>Properties
        2. View>Object explorer
        3. Column>Properties

Having to look in three places strikes me as somewhat fractured, but at least I'm glad A5V9 gives us the ability to finely control the appearance of a browse.

Column Properties

You can set properties that affect the appearance and behavior of individual columns in a browse. These properties include the color, font, and format of the data. Additionally you can set color and font equations, which change the appearance of data depending on conditions you set.

To open the Column Properties window:

Highlight a column by clicking the column title and press the Properties button on the toolbar, or select Column > Properties.

Comment

Hi Robert,

You don't need to do all three things to customize a browse.

One method is simply give the object focus and hit F12. Or right mouse click.

Did you find how to set the Alignment of the Column Title?
          Last edited by Keith Hubert; 06-22-2008, 08:42 AM.
          Regards
          Keith Hubert
          Alpha Guild Member
          London.
          KHDB Management Systems
          Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortuantely, whether I selected the browse control and hit F12 or whether I selected the control, right clicked, then clicked on properties, the result was the same:

I was unable to change the font/size of the row of the browse (not its Title font/size) and I was unable to change the alignment of the column title labels. If this is possible could you share with us, the specific tabs and fields of the browse properties dialog to use.

For the sake of complete documentation, here was what I had to do to left align title labels:

1. Click on the browse control to select it
            2. Double click on the column heading, which selects the first cell of the column
            3. Double click again on the column heading, which selects all cells in the column
            4. Click on the Properties icon on the A5 toolbar
            5. On the Set up tab, click on Advanced column titile
            6. Use the arrow to move property Justify from the available list to the selected list
            7. Click on Edit Justify
            8. Select Left from the pulldown
            9. Click on OK

The following code is authomatically inserted for the column title:
            <xdlg>{"First name}{sort order}{stickto=Left}

The column heading "First name" is then correctly displayed as Left justified.

Attached is something I learned 35 years ago from Thelma, a statistical production typist for the Big 8 CPA firm of Haskin & Sells (absorbed by Deloitte & Touche).

Bob McGaffic
            Pittsburgh
            Last edited by rmcgaffic; 06-22-2008, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Hi Bob,
              I see you figured out the title alignment.
              I was unable to change the font/size of the row of the browse
              This can be done on a per column basis and not a row as far as I know...to do this select a column's properties by dbl clicking until it is dark/highlighted and right click to choose properties...font size for the column will be there.
              Mike

Comment

Mike,

Yes, the approach you described sets the font and size for the column headings, but not for the rows.

Here's how I did it for the rows (setting applies to all detail rows of the browse):

1. Click on browse control to select it
                2. From the menu bar, View>Object Explorer
                3. Expand the browse control, for example, BROWSE1, which appears in the left pane of the screen to reveal each field of the browse
                4. Select the first field in the browse, for example, First_name
                5. Click on the Font property in the right pane of the screen
                6. Click on "Name" and enter "Tahoma", then click on "Set"
                7. Click on "Size" and enter 9, then click on "Set"
                8. Repeat for each browse field you wish to change from the default
                9. Click on close

Bob McGaffic
                Pittsburgh

Comment

Bob

To set the font size for the column heading you can either click on the browse it self then select properties, then select Titles and make the changes there - you can also click on the column then select properties and then in the set up tab click on the advanced column settings and change it there.

To change the font of the rows in the column you click on the browse then double click in the column, select properties then font and change the font and type to whatever you want. That changes the font size of the rows but NOT the column heading.

Tom Baker

Comment

Bob,

As Tom reiterated....each column ROW can have it's font set. You cannot just set one row's font size but can set ALL the rows to be the same by setting ALL of the column's rows to the same font size.

I guess you could have some rows (via the column's row font size properties) be different with the font being set from a calculation that met certain criteria...can use the color/font equations from the "Other" tab.
                    Mike

Comment

I know this an old thread, but since a browse exists with the preferred formatting, why not create a stylesheet and call it something like "My Browse" so you can use it again?

Now I have to go try it and see if that works...
                      Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

It turns out this works! If you create a regular browse and save it as a stylesheet, you can apply the format to an embedded browse on a form - it will prompt you if you want to apply it to just the selected object. You will have to edit the properties if you want it indented, but other than that it seems to work.

I suppose you could do the same with a stylesheet for a form except there are other default objects that might change. Seeing as how I only have the desktop version for v8 and not Enterprise, this saves me a lot of time. I don't know if that is the case with the standard version for v9 or not...
                        Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Working...
                        X