Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Import into existing table (Newbie - sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Import into existing table (Newbie - sorry)

I've also come from Lotus Approach, then FMP, now trying to migrate to A5V9... Newbie as well...

Been trying to import my data from a .txt file into my .dbf file, and am encountering this problem: it imports the data into the correct fields but stops at a certain row (always at that row), then gives me this error message:
    Error running Import Operation
    Data value cannot fit into a numeric field of size

I used the Genie to import the data into the existing .dbf file. Attached are the .txt file I'm using, as well as the .dbf structure. Hope someone can help shed light on this...

Comment

Without looking at the attachments, I can pretty confidently say that there is most likely an problem with your data on the line that it always stops at. You did receive a fairly understandable error message telling you that it could not place one of your numerics into one of the numeric fields in the dbf. Carefully check the original data and see what numbers don't fit into a numeric field. If you are having a problem figuring it out, cut and paste the line of data here for others to look at.

PS. As this is a new problem, you would have been best to start a new thread rather than hijack an old one.

Edit: Just checked your attachments and created a dbf using your record layout and all the sample data imported just fine. Which line is supposed to have problem?
      Last edited by Doug Page; 03-19-2009, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Anna,
        I downloaded and parsed your data in Excel quickly - no problems. It is tab delimited and all the records lined up in the table just fine.

My point is, why not use Excel to parse your text files into tables first, then use your database? I don't use Alpha - I tried the parsing in Alpha and found it to be very unfriendly at best, although it does generally work in my experience. The problem I had with Alpha was the cryptic error messages that were no help. Parsing can be very complex, so I prefer to do it in Excel where I can control and understand the process - then I go to the database with the parsed tables.
        Fred

Comment

Anna, I found it impossible to import your text file into the table structure you supplied.

Your first table field is an 8 wide "date type" field, but the first column in your text file is a 10 wide character field. Change your table structure so that the first field is a 10 wide character field and you will be able to import it just fine. Use the import genie, specify ASCII source using TAB characters to separate the columns.

Once your import is finished change the table structure by adding a new field that is "date type", and define an update operation to populate the new field using an expression that converts the character representation of the date to an actual date. In my example here the character representation of the date is in a field named c_date. So my update expression is "ctod(c_date)".

Later on ...
          Anna, there's a simpler approach. Change the first field in your table to 10 wide character data. Do your import, specifying the TAB character as the column separator. Then restructure your table and simply change the first field to "date type" data. Alpha will convert the character representations of dates into actual dates automatically.
          Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 03-19-2009, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Oops, sorry re:new thread, I wasn't aware about the protocols, will know better next time...

The reason why I got confused was because my data would import up until the row of
            CR-MATCHBOXES01
            then it would stop importing and give me the error. Since the .tab file bears the same format as the rows before, I couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Fred, thanks for your suggestion. I'm dealing with a lot of different filenames, the retrieval of which I'm trying to automate so that the data will automatically be populated in the different .dbf files for further result analysis. I'm afraid retrieving from excel, then changing it back to a dbf file would be a bit more time consuming on my part, which is why I'm trying to work this out in A5. Got my FMP solution, but it keeps getting damaged for some reason, plus waiting for the results was taking forever (tons of records)... that's why I'm trying out my solution in A5...

Tom, THANK YOU!!! Your solution worked! Imported the date as character, then converted the same to date format on another field. I still can't comprehend why some of the data would import and some would not, when I posted this problem as I've explained above... hmmm... Oh well, THANKS again!

Comment

Anna et al,

I don't get it. I created a dbf table with your exact structure. I then used the ASCII import genie to import into the existing table (all records, no duplicate checking). I looked at what the import genie did before running it (but changed nothing) and then ran it. With no problems of any kind it imported 521 records. I am using A5v9 patch 2085-3261. The only problem you might have with the date field would be if one of the character dates was not a valid date. But that was not the case.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Started a new thread for this problem: Incomplete import from txt with date calc fields in dbf. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X