Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Embedded browse-Find by text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embedded browse-Find by text

To All:
    I have an Embedded browse on a form
    Char,Num and Memo fields

The find by text does not seem to work on memo fields
    works on other fields but not memo fields
    Select field
    find by text
    Current Field
    Forward.

Do I have to do something different on memo fields

Thanks
    charlie crimmel

Re: Embedded browse-Find by text

Originally posted by crimmelcp View Post
    To All:
    I have an Embedded browse on a form
    Char,Num and Memo fields

The find by text does not seem to work on memo fields
    works on other fields but not memo fields
    Select field
    find by text
    Current Field
    Forward.

Thanks
    charlie crimmel
    find by key works by creating an index on the field. memo fields are not typically indexed.

Comment

Thanks
      Selwyn

Is there another way to search memo fields for certain words.

Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Originally posted by crimmelcp View Post
        Thanks
        Selwyn

Is there another way to search memo fields for certain words.

Charlie Crimmel

use the query genie. select the memo field. use the 'contains the word' operator.

you can then click the icon bottom right to see what xbasic was generated.

Comment

The fact that you have a memo field implies you have a large text that necessitates it.

If you have large text, having the memo in a browse does not help much as you won't see the text.

Put the memo field on the form as a separate object.

You could easily search the memo field with xbasic:
          I have to scratch my head a bit to remember the sytanx. It will come to me in a minute (that's if I don't get distracted).

Later:
          Here is the syntax if anyone cares to know:
          1-If you are in a set, and if you are searching a memo field in a child table, the syntax is:
          flatenquery(rtf_field_to_text("table-"field"),"search_string"))
          2-If you are in the parent table, or simply searching a single table, the syntax is:
          contains(rtf_field_to_text("table-"field"),"search_string"))

Comment

Can anyone tell me what may be wrong with this code
            I get an error stating invalid filter.
            the help file states that containsi should work for memo fields

Thanks
            Charlie Crimmel

trace.clear()
            dim filter as c
            dim filter2 as c
            dim order as c
            dim options as c
            dim description as c
            dim show_all_flag as L
            dim layout_name as c
            dim layout_type as c
            dim global vfindwords as C

text_string = ui_get_text("vfindwords", "Enter Words to Search For"," ")
            IF text_string = " " THEN
            ui_msg_box("vfindwords", "Words to Search For invalid.")
            END
            ELSE
            var->vfindwords = text_string
            END IF
            var->filter = chr(34) + "containsi" + chr(40)+chr(34)+"Specinst" + chr(34) + chr(44) + var->vfindwords + chr(41) +chr(34)
            trace.WriteLn("vfindwords = " + var->vfindwords)
            trace.WriteLn("filter = " + var->filter)

Comment

Charlie

try this in place of var->filter=

Code:
              var->filter = chr(34) + "containsi" + chr(40)+chr(34)+"Specinst" + chr(34) + chr(44) + [COLOR="red"]chr(34)[/COLOR]+var->vfindwords +[COLOR="Red"]chr(34[/COLOR])+ chr(41) +chr(34)
              Your find words text string was not enclosed in quotes

Tom Baker

Comment

Thanks
                I am not getting errors in the code but the append operation does not seem to be accepting the filter.

I kept getting no records when I tried the Browse query so I tried an append operation to a temp table and then browse the temp table.
                It gets no records also

Any Ideas
                Charlie Crimmel

trace.clear()
                dim filter as c
                dim filter2 as c
                dim order as c
                dim options as c
                dim description as c
                dim show_all_flag as L
                dim layout_name as c
                dim layout_type as c
                dim global vfindwords as C

text_string = ui_get_text("vfindwords", "Enter Words to Search For"," ")
                IF text_string = " " THEN
                ui_beep()
                ui_msg_box("vfindwords", "Words to Search For invalid.")
                END
                ELSE
                var->vfindwords = text_string
                END IF
                'From the Help File
                'This example indicates whether "blah" is found in a memo field named MemoField.
                'containsi("MemoField","blah")
                var->filter = "containsi" + chr(40)+chr(34)+"Specinst" + chr(34) + chr(44) + chr(34) + trim(var->vfindwords) + chr(34) +chr(41)

'From the Help File
                'This example indicates whether "blah" is found in a RTF memo field named RtfField.
                'containsi(rtf_field_to_text("RtfField"),"blah")
                var->filter2 = "containsi(rtf_field_to_text" + chr(40) + chr(34)+"Specinst" + chr(34) + chr(41)+ chr(44) +chr(34)+ trim(var->vfindwords) +chr(34)+ chr(41)

var->filter3 = chr(34) + "containsi" + chr(40)+chr(34)+"Specinst" + chr(34) + chr(44) + chr(34)+trim(var->vfindwords) +chr(34)+ chr(41)

trace.WriteLn("vfindwords = " + var->vfindwords)
                trace.WriteLn("filter = " + var->filter)
                trace.WriteLn("filter2 = " + var->filter2)
                trace.WriteLn("filter3 = " + var->filter3)

'Run an Operation that was previously defined.
                query.filter = var->filter2
                query.order = ""

DIM operation_name as c
                operation_name = "append memo_specinst"
                If operation_name <> "" then
                append.run(operation_name,query.filter)
                End if

Comment

Charlie

Try changing filter 2 to

Code:
                  var->filter2 = [COLOR="Red"]chr(34)[/COLOR]+"containsi(rtf_field_to_text" + chr(40) + chr(34)+"Specinst" + chr(34) + chr(41)+ chr(44) +chr(34)+ trim(var->vfindwords) +chr(34)+ chr(41)+[COLOR="red"]chr(34)[/COLOR]
                  filter is expecting a character text string

might work
                  Tom
                  Last edited by Tbaker; 07-02-2008, 04:39 PM. Reason: delete a line

Comment

Charlie

I am sure by now, if you have not found a resolution , you have come to the same point that I have

The containsi() function does not work as an append filter - no matter if you use the RTF field or any other field in the table
                    I would guess that the only was to append records with a RTF field is to use regular old xbasic table.enter_begin() and table.enter_end.

To that end, I have attached a zip file (one of my testing apps - converted to be used with this app). I'm sure you have already tried this workaround but I am sending it FWIW.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

One Suggestion would be to start a new thread on this problem and see if the big guys might have a solution which my little mind could not come up with.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                    X