Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Confuse about runtime license...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confuse about runtime license...

I am intending to buy alpha five v9 platinum. But I am confused about runtime license..

I would like to buy the alpha five to create application. I am expecting myself to be able to create an application that can run on my friend machine. I do not expect my friend to install the alpha five v9 platinum...In other word, i create an application on my machine, and give the application to my friend, and he should able to run it, without having to install anything else on his machine

Based on knowledge, it seems that my friend need to have a runtime engine to run my application. But I believe that when I use alpha five to compile my application, the compiled application should internally contain a runtime engine. Am I right...

And also, it seems that beside spending money to buy the alpha five product, I still need to spend additional money to buy the license for runtime??

Re: Confuse about runtime license...

There is a difference between Run Engine and Runtime licenses. OK so you always have to buy at least one license if you plan to sell or give away your app but while the more Enterprise-oriented Run Engine licenses are "Per user" licenses (the cost of which you would include in the sales price of your software), the Runtimes are re-usable unless you custom-write for a third party.

If you don't need active link tables (and to be honest if you want an app that connects to a SQL database then it's not the kind of app you can just install on a friend's machine - active link tables are more for corporate environments that already have existing SQL back end DBs, rather than the kinds of tools you share with your mates) you can get the V9 Platinum + 1 User RT bundle which is a re-usable re-distributable runtime that lets you procuce as many installeable apps as you like.

That RT is yours and you can write more apps and give the same app to more than one person too... And you don't give the RT to your mate, rather it is something YOU have to install before you build the app. So yes it then produces an installable app that will run on your mate's PC. I got the bundle when it first came out and am glad to see they are still available - at just $100 on top of the developer copy it's a very handy option :)

(broken link removed)​
    (broken link removed)​

(Under the Runtime Bundle Pricing section at the bottom of each page)

I do agree that THAT sort of RT (single user etc.) should be built in but the bundle hardly breaks the bank and NOT including it for all makes the developer copy cheaper for those who do NOT need this RT (if they develop mainly websites for example).
    Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 05-23-2023, 10:04 AM. Reason: broken link removed

Comment

Ok! Thanks for your reply.

Another 2 questions. (Sorry that I have to ask a few questions before forking out money to buy it)

If my local machine install the alpha five, and i use it to create an application. I intend to run the application on the same machine.Do I still need any RT or run engine license to run it, since I have alpha five installed on the same machine?

How many max. no of machine can I install alpha five?

Last question:
      If I am to buy alpha five platinum v9, it seems that I should buy run engine license (not RT license). Because platinum support linking to external database, and if I buy platinum version and not buying run engine license, then it will not make any sense as I can create application linking to external database, and yet, I cannot run this application on a machine with sql server 2005.
      Currently I seems to get the idea that alpha five platinum and alpha five standard's difference is that one can support external database, the other cannot. Is that the only difference?
      Last edited by ANiceGuy; 07-04-2008, 08:48 PM.

Comment

If he writes sw for a friend then that's a custom app and the friend would need to buy an a5 or a runtime. But if he gives the same sw to several friends then he's distributing sw and can use his own RT to install on as many systems as he wants. But the whole thing is based on the honor system since there is no 'custom app police' to decide what is custom and what isn't.

Isn't that how it works?

Comment

I realize I post this thread to wrong place. I should post it under Alpha Five v9 (Platinum and Standard) section. Can the administrator help me shift this to that section?

Comment

If you install Alpha 5 on your machine, you do not need to install the runtime or run engine on your machine.

If I were you I would check out the following link so you can figure out which versions you would be interested in.

(removed broken link)

Also, you need to figure out if you want the standard version or the platinum version. The basic difference is SQL support, but there are others. The link for this info is:

(removed broken link)

Hope this helps.
            Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 06-02-2023, 01:55 PM. Reason: removed broken link
            ---------------------------------------------------
            Barry Kucher
            http://www.411tech.org

Comment

Thanks for answering some of my questions. Look like platinum version did have some interesting features (other than SQL support). Look like platinum version is the way to go.

"If you install Alpha 5 on your machine, you do not need to install the runtime or run engine on your machine." -- I get what you mean. However, if I dont install runtime or run engine on the machine(which I install alpha 5), that would mean I need to open alpha 5 in order to run my application. This not what I want. I prefer to run my custom application without opening alpha 5. Alpha 5 is like visual studio .net IDE. If I want to run an application for my own use (made by visual studio.net IDE), I would definitely prefer to run it alone, rather than open the IDE, and run it from inside. (We usually run our application using IDE for debugging code purpose).

But I have not yet get the answer of how many machines can I install alpha 5 onto? Is it user based or machine-based? (I am referring to alpha 5 IDE, not the runtime).
              Last edited by ANiceGuy; 07-05-2008, 02:26 AM.

Comment

From the url (removed broken link), I read this follwing

Option 1: Single-User Personal Use.
                If you are a single user who is simply going to be building windows desktop applications for your personal use to use on a single computer, then there is no additional licensing required. (Please remember that each license allows you to install the software on 2 computers as long as they are not networked together i.e. Desktop and Laptop)

Based on the above, I figure out that once I buy alpha five, alpha five software can be installed on at most 2 computers. Am I right?
                Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 06-02-2023, 01:54 PM. Reason: removed broken link

Comment

ANice Guy,

Yes, that's right. Each installation must be "activated". A single license can't be "activated" on more than two machines. -- tom

Comment

Thanks. But the problem is, if I am to uninstall the alpha five on my machine, then reformat my machine, and then reinstall it on my machine again, will my license activation still be successful? Because how does the license checking server at backend knows if this is the same machine????

I expect that when I uninstall my software, it will send a signal to the backend, to deactivate the license (reducing the count by 1)...so that if I reinstall it on the same machine (or even on other machine), but still used by me, it will be successfully activated..

I have been reformatting my machine more often than not, that is why I am concern for this issue.

Another question I really hope to get answer is, if I install alpha 5 on a machine, can I run my custom application on the same machine,without opening alpha five software to run it , and without needing to buy an RT or run engine license. It look weird for me to run my application in alpha 5 software.

I really don not wish to buy any license, cos I am buying alpha five for hobbies purpose, and to create application for my own uses, not even for commerce or earning any profits. I will broke, if have to include license cost.

Comment

I really don not wish to buy any license,
                      Not a nice guy after all. Waste of band width. What's the point of your questions if you aren't considering a purchase?

Suggest you contact customer service at Alpha Software they can answer your questions about the activation and re-activation process. Alpha Five does not create free standing executables. You run your database application within the Alpha Five environment. i.e. You buy the platinum version. You use it to design a database application. You can run it on your development machine without any other licenses. If you want a friend across town to run it your friend has to get an Alpha Five license, either platinum (or standard) or runtime.

-- tom

Comment

Oops. Sorry for being not a nice guy. But thanks for your reply and explanation. :) I wish to buy license for the alpha five software, but not the license for runtime.

Comment

Ok. I took your previous post too literally, sorry. You won't need the runtime to run your own applications. It's how you would distribute your application to others. You'd buy the runtime and deliver it to your customer with your application. Your customer doesn't need the full version (unless they wish to do further modifications), but they'll need the runtime engine in order to run the app you developed for them. Is that clearer?

I believe customer service will tell you that each "activation" is tied to your machine's name. If you have to reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows & Alpha Five you shouldn't have any problem as long as you rename the machine with the name used to activate Alpha previously. Check with customer service to verify this. I think they can also help you if you "forget" the previous machine name.

Comment

One more thing.

The message board is divided into separate forums. One for each of several different products from Alpha. You've been posting to the forum for the Web Application Server. I've been answering your questions without noticing this. My assumption has been that you were talking about building desktop applications to run on your machine, not applications that would be published to a web server and accessed over the internet. If I've assumed correctly you've been posting to the wrong forum. Future postings should be in the Alpha Five Version 9 (Platinum & Standard) forum within the Desktop section of the message board. If my assumptions are wrong I've probably gotten things badly confused for you, so we should start over. The runtime is not needed to run your application over the internet, but a different product, the Web Application Server, IS needed instead.

Comment

Yes. I have realized that I have posted wrongly, I should post it under the Alpha 5 (standard and platinum) section..that is why in my earlier post, I have asked the administrator to shift this post for me, as I cannot do it myself.

Tom, your assumption is correct. I am talking about the desktop applications, not application server, although I may be interested in license related web application server as well, since I love to develop web application as well.

I am sorry about this, if I confused anyone. I would prefer the administrator to shift my post rather than for me to open a new thread again in another section

Comment

Working...
                              X