Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Newbie Question - master Form and Sub-Forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbie Question - master Form and Sub-Forms

I tried many ways to achieve my goal programmatically. but it still don't work, and I cannot believe that. Cos subform object has so many methods and properties, such that one of them should be able to do what I want to achieve, rather than using the built in interface.

All i hope is one of the creators of alpha five can come and rescue me. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ANiceGuy View Post
      Hi Davidk,
      subform A,B and C all uses different tables, and these tables are not related in anyway.
      This could be your problem in light of this page in the help which states...
      Note : When you place a subform on a form in the Alpha Five Form Editor, you are limited to selecting the subform from other forms that are based on the same table or set as the form you are editing.
      Tim Kiebert
      Eagle Creek Citrus
      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Kiebert View Post
        This could be your problem in light of this page in the help which states...
        Thanks for your help. I just create a master set containing the FormA, FormB and FormC and the master_Frm. I anyhow link them together since there is no relationship between these forms' assocated tables.

Then I put these 2 codes

child_form.form.source_db="FormA_Tbl" <--child_form is the name of the
        sub-form
        child_form.form.name="FormA"

under the onpush event of a button on the master_Frm.

It does not work, and complains that it cannot load specified form "FormA".

-----------------------------
        However, if during design time, I were to set the properties for the child_form object thru the properties dialog box...

Primary Table="FormA_Tbl"
        Used Name Form Layout="FormA"

It works!!!!

----------------------------

According to the help file, Primary Table in the dialog box is equivalent to child_form.form.source_db, and the Used Name Form Layout equivalent to child_form.form.name. So by right , my programmatically code should work, unless as what Stan says, these fields are read-only.

Alpha Five is great, but the xbasic does not seems easy to get the hang on.

Comment

I am still stuck here, and I cannot proceed on.

All I hope is the creator of the alpha software can let me know if it is possible to load subform with a child form dynamically using programming(without resorting to built in dialog box at all). if possible, how can it be done with code. Able to do this with programming, is definitely much cleaner, in my own opinion.

I try sending private message to richard, but however, it seems his box don't allow sending private message.

Comment

I try sending private message to richard, but however, it seems his box don't allow sending private message.
            Yup. His message box does not allow responses.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Able to do this with programming, is definitely much cleaner, in my own opinion..
              You can have as many subforms as you want; I'm not one to dissuade you from your mission. But strictly speaking, the usual method is to have one subform object on your main form which can dynamically load any other form from your table or set using a simple expression.

Again, it's none of my business. You can do it anyway you see fit. It's just that it seems like you are trying to swim against the tide. After all, the A5 desktop is composed of a combination of objects and code. OTOH, if you want to do everything strictly in code, xdialog would be the way to go. Then you have complete control using only code.
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thanks peter for replying. I agree with you that if I am to achieve something, I do not ahve to stuck with pure code.

Actually, what I am trying to do with alpha five is not really impt. i merely wanted to try out this software to see if its programming language is really that powerful. I heard that xbasic is very powerful, that is why, I have a high expectation for this language, expecting it to do many things. In other word, I am just trying to test the strength and weakness of xbasic. That's my intention.

Of course, even if xbasic may not able to do what I want to do, I still think its quite powerful. But if it can load different forms in the subform object programmitically, I will even think its more powerful. But if it cannot do that programmatically, then I really wish this feature to be in next update.

Comment

SOLUTION Found:

After many trial and error till my hand break, I finally understand how to load different form into sub-form object programmatically, without using any built-in dialog box. (In fact using programming to achieve this effect is faster).

First , create master table, table A, tableB and tableC seperately.
                  Then you must put the master table and tables A, B and C into a master set.
                  In the master set, put the master table to be the parent, and the rest of the tables be the child. In my senario,tables A, B and C actually has no relationship with the master table, so for each relationship link definition, I just choose parent key as 1=1, and child key as 1=1.

Then create master form, and 3 child forms (formA, formB and formC) all pointing to the master set. (This part is critical).

In the master form, create 3 button, btn A, btn B, and btn C.

In btn A, type the code, child_form.form.Name="FormA" under push event for the btnA.
                  *Note that child_form is the object name of the sub-form control. Do same thing to btn B and C as well, except instead of "FormA", u type "FormB" and "FormC" correspondingly.

That's it!!!!!!!!!!!! Finish!!!! When you click button A, form A will be loaded into sub-form object, and so on.

Comment

Working...
                  X