Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Report Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report Problem

Hi, all.

Overview:

Unable to show all the details that I want in a report.

Application description:

1. A table named "Party" to store all the persons or organizations information such as name, DOB, company registration no. and etc.

2. A table named "Party_Relationship" to store all kinds of relationship between parties. For instance, "Party 1" (Party_Id_From) may have relationship called "Directorship Relationship" with "Party 2" (Party_Id_To).

3. A table named "Signatory_Assignment" to assign signatory group to each bank account.

Problem description:

Now I try to produce a report called "Resolution to open an bank account" which require the company name, bank name, signatory names, director name on the same report.

I have declared "Signatory Relationship", "Directorship Relationship" and "Financial Institution Relationship" in table "Party_Relationship" as followed:

From Bank A to Company ABC as Financial Institution Relationship
    From Bank A to Company DEF as Financial Institution Relationship
    From Signatory A to Company ABC as Signatory Relationship
    From Signatory B to Company ABC as Signatory Relationship
    From Signatory C to Company DEF as Signatory Relationship
    From Signatory D to Company DEF as Signatory Relationship
    From Director A to Company ABC as Directorship Relationship
    From Director B to Company ABC as Directorship Relationship

I am not able to display appropriate record selected in the report. I tried many combination of sets but no luck for me to get the report I want.

Please download the attachment below to review my problems in the report and hopefully you will share your wisdom with me to resolve this problem.

Thank you very much. :)

Re: Report Problem

Hi Leow,

I have had a quick look at your application. Having had a quick look it would take several hours and many questions to understand what you have got and what needs to be fixed.

Just a couple of points of interest, it seems to me that you have made your sets too complicated for data input. But, that is without going into great detail as to why you have chosen to do that.

Why do you need to have a table for Gender as a lookup? How many are there to choose from?

You do not need to put the same filter in both the report and on the button calling the report. Do it in one or the other.

I have attached pdf of Pass Resolution3. This shows group filtered for Signatories.

To have a list of all the directors in the company at the bottom of the report, use a sub report.

As I said there is too much to go through here. If your bank would like me to come and spend some time with you to develop this properly, let me know. My rates are very reasonable.
    Last edited by Keith Hubert; 07-23-2008, 07:23 AM.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Leow,
      I think you have not established your tables and sets cleanly, and that is why you are having so much trouble. If you had these tables:

Banks
      Companies
      Directors
      Signatories

then it would be very simple to create the proper set structure that you need for a report. Right now you are mixing everything together in the "parties" table -- people and companies -- and trying to sort it out with your relationships table. The way you divided up your data is not easily amenable to either simple data entry or to simple reporting.

Comment

Keith and Peter,

Thank you for reviewing my application. I am new to A5 and hence I know most of the time I mess up a lot of things.

Keith,

I don't quite understand what this statement means:
        You do not need to put the same filter in both the report and on the button calling the report. Do it in one or the other.
        About the Signatory Group, I wish to filter the group based on each bank_acc_id regardless how many signatories fall into the same group.

For instance,
        bank_acc_id 0001 has Group A & B where Group A has Signatory A & B and Group B has Signatory C;

bank_acc_id 0002 has Group A & B too where Group A has Signatory D, E & F and Group B has Signatory G.

I wish to list down all the Signatory Groups and Signatories that bounded to a bank account and the bank account is belong to a bank that has relationship with the company.

FYI, I'm not doing this for a bank but for a corporate secretary firm and this is just a very fundamental one. I'm learning while developing this application.

Peter,

The more I wanted to do the more difficult I found to work out from this database structure. I agree with you that it is easier to separate all the relationship accordingly into different tables.

The structure I have now is based on a book called "The Data Model Resource Book: A Library of Universal Data Models by Industry Types" authored by Len Silversen which used by my company as a reference. I am a fresh graduate who try to learn and follow the instructions because I have zero knowledge on developing commercial application. I've been working for two months just to figure out how to get all this works and get scolded for many times because of not able to deliver the desired scope.

By digging deeper and deeper into this forum, I gain a lot of idea and knowledge that I would never think or done before. This is the learning curve and hence I appreciate any wisdom that have been shared from anyone of you. :)

P/S: I apologize for my bad English.

Comment

Hi Leow,

I notice that you did not answer my question
          Why do you need to have a table for Gender as a lookup? How many are there to choose from?
          Peter has made the suggestion to you about cutting down the number of tables. In my own way I was suggesting that too.

The problem is that a lot of these theory books are just that, theory. If you want to look at the theory, one of the rules is not to duplicate fields. Study your tables carefully and see when a table should be used as a lookup and when it should be part of a set.

I suggest that you start over and build your application one step at a time. Learn from how you did it, and and what the result was.
          Regards
          Keith Hubert
          Alpha Guild Member
          London.
          KHDB Management Systems
          Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Hi Leow

Have a look at this link, in particular the reply from Glen Schild.
            http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=74352

After 15 years of working with Alpha I have now bought the book.

As a beginner I would strongly recommend it, as it will help you understand so much better, the construction of tables and in particular Rules.
            Regards
            Keith Hubert
            Alpha Guild Member
            London.
            KHDB Management Systems
            Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Hi Keith,

I put Gender as a lookup just because I thought this is the way to provide the selections for the user but I now realize that I can make it a static combo box as there are only two choices to be chosen from.

Thank you for your suggestion and I will take it to build the application all over again from zero.

Thank you.

Comment

Hi Loew,

I think you are making the right decision to start over.

I used the Gender table as an example, now you can consider all the other tables and field rules as to what they should be looking up.

Ask yourself is it static text or could more data be entered? Then you will know how to treat the lookup list.

Have a look at the other field rules, eg. Dates, can the user enter any date in any date field? How do you control if a user enters a birthday date that is next year?

So, slow down, take it easy, and ask one question at a time as you get stuck. We are here to help.
                Regards
                Keith Hubert
                Alpha Guild Member
                London.
                KHDB Management Systems
                Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Keith,

Thank you for your patience and help. I will follow the method that discussed in another thread that you lead me to and hopefully I can get a better design this time.

Thank you again.

Comment

Working...
                  X