Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Desparate for help with a shadow dbase!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desparate for help with a shadow dbase!

I copied a form (Invoice) from AlphaSports into my application and modified it to work. I have a menu with a button that opens this form. The form and it's function works fine when opened with the developer version of the program when opened locally, when opened from the server. It works fine with the runtime version when opened locally and when opened from the server. But, if I create a shadow database, the form will not open.

When I click on the menu button to open the form, I get this error message:
    Script:OnPush line:30
    varP_CommSale = :Form.view(layout_name)
    Object is not defined.

When I try to open the form (called "Sales Invoice") directly from the control panel (I'm still in the shadow now) I get this error message.

Object is not defined.

The form opens and works fine EXCEPT from a shadow dbase. Can someone tell me where to start looking? I am using the latest version A5V9.
    Jim Belanger

Re: Desparate for help with a shadow dbase!

Thank you to all who may have read this and scratched their heads. I am posting what I finally found that cured the problem. But, note to Selwyn; this should NOT have happened!

For some reason, the application had dropped a table called "Invoice_Items" which was part of the set on which the "Sales Invoice" was designed. This table was still in the subdirectory with the other tables but was not attached. So, why did everything work fine except for shadow? At the shadow, the missing table did not appear and it was not in the shadow subdirectory. So, that's why the form didn't work. But, how does Alpha use an "unattached" table successfully?

Anyway, the problem is solved but, in my opinion, should have been a problem in the direct or server run application as well as the shadow.
    Jim Belanger

Comment

Hi Jim,

Originally posted by Beltronics View Post
      But, how does Alpha use an "unattached" table successfully?

Anyway, the problem is solved but, in my opinion, should have been a problem in the direct or server run application as well as the shadow.
      The set pointed to a table that happened to be in the same directory, even if it was not attached. So it was able to work, as all the necessary info was there in the set definition.

However, when shadowing, you have a bunch of pointers back to the original tables, but not for the set. When the set opens in the shadow, it is looking for a table name in the attached tables to go to the pointer to get back to the original table. Since the pointer was not there, the set failed.

If there is a problem, it is that in shadowing the table and sets, when not all tables are available, there should probably be a warning.

Hope this explains things a bit.
      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
      New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

I surmised that what happened is exactly as you described. What frustrated me was your last statement, about the lack of a warning. I had no idea what was happening until I saw the problem.
        Jim Belanger

Comment

Maybe I am missing something, but why would you not attach a table, which is part of the set, to the database?
          Jay Talbott
          Jay Talbott
          Lexington, KY

Comment

Wrong! What you are missing is: Why would Alpha5 detach the table on its own? I am chalking it up to a fluke???
            Jim Belanger

Comment

Hi Jim,
              It just may be a fluke but I have had it happen as well...but in my case it was in a set linkage to a table with no common fields and linked via expression such as a simple number used in each table for the link (say the number 4). Alpha many times will change this on me in one table's link to a letter (usually the letter "A") with no ramifications....except for the one particular instance and has not happened since.

I tend to agree with Tim Kiebert's opinion in one thread a while back that using an actual expression instead of just a single number or letter serves much better as a linking expression (I have an example of one he did but cannot seem to find it now!).

Just wanted to add to the mix of things.....
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X