Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Hotspots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotspots

Hi All,

In V4.5 I can create a Hotspot over any object for example a field and the 'Hand' will appear when focused on any area of the Hotspot.

In V8 and V9 the hand will only appear on the area of the hotspot outside of the object. Have tried bring to front and always on top to no avail.

Anyone know if this is a bug or is this how the hotspots in V8 and V9 are designed to work? I much prefer the behaviour of the v4.5 version of Alpha.

Welcome any other comments on this subject,

Michael.
    www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk

Re: Hotspots

if your form properties are set to modeless (or default if your settings make data entry modal), the hotspot will work. When the field is in "change/edit" mode, the hotspot does not have focus

Comment

John,

The form properties are already set to 'Modeless', in fact the user cannot manually enter data.

The problem isn't that the hotspot will not work, I just want the hand to show when the mouse is hovered over the full area of the hotspot. Presently in v9 it only shows on the area around the object its covering, even though its 'brought to front'.

Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Humby View Post
        John,

The form properties are already set to 'Modeless', in fact the user cannot manually enter data.

The problem isn't that the hotspot will not work, I just want the hand to show when the mouse is hovered over the full area of the hotspot. Presently in v9 it only shows on the area around the object its covering, even though its 'brought to front'.

Michael.
        I'm sorry, I should have said that the hotspot will NOT work if the form is modeless

Comment

Hi Michael,
          The same thing happens with version 8. It works as you want if you Hide the object within the hotspot but doubt that would be acceptable to you....but if it were, xbasic on the flyover events should be able to be used to hide/unhide an object.
          Mike

Comment

Michael,

I use hotspot in v7 v8 and v9.

The hotspot hasto be to the front as you are doing it, but the underlying text/button/field has to be put back 1 or 2 times. That's the way i use it. hope it works for you. My main screen has fields that are to the back and hot spots that are to the front.

Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave,
              I can only get a text / label to allow a hotspot to "come" through....every other type such as a button, field, or checkbox negates the hotspot no matter how placed initially or how many times it is put in the back of the Order. If Michael is having the same issue, maybe he and I are both doing something different than you ??
              Mike

Comment

Not sure mike. the labels in the screen shot i gave are actually a field placed on the screen. the hotspot is on top of the field. I have used this in 3 versions of a5 as stated.

i just double checked it to make sure i remembered right and I did.

it does work on all the versions of windows alpha supports too.

i am going to try something else too.

MY BAD - it does NOT work in V9. glad i never shipped it. Dagnab it )*&)

^*^*^*&^^$^$@@^$O*^)(

this needs a bug report!!! you want to do it??

I have been trying everything even though it is all written with a5v7 and all has been working pretty consistently.

Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I went ahead and sent the bug report. i will chck v8 later like i have done in the past. i took it off this machine.

Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I just got a response from selwyn about the hotspot over a field saying they did not consider it a bug and couldn't understand why we would ever need that. My My

I bought v8 and never used it - have v9 and have not yet used it. Hmmm... anybody want v9 with the web server?

I sent this response:
                    Selwyn,

I have this working in v7 just fine. If I swap my app over to v8 or v9 it is then broken. It is right on my main screen. There are web addresses set up in the main table that are to contain whatever the user wants to have for addresses and a descriptive name field. The hotspot simply runs the address in the corresponding field to the descriptive name. The part that shows up in the field is not the address but the descriptive field:
                    Yahoo = http:www.yahoo.com - Hotspot is over field containing �yahoo� - runs the address in field that contains the address.
                    They may be much more complex of course.
                    This was discussed in the forum under v8 desktop and hotspots. Here: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=74737 It seems I am not the only one not happy with the loss of a usage. Suggested reading. It is very unprofessional to add buttons beside the fields. It is a normal thing in a web page to have this �Click where you want to go�. You guys said we should go for pretty? Then you take stuff like this away??

I use them in other places too. Some are over variables. I believe they don�t work either(not tested yet)..

Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave:
                      in version 8 (build 1753) the hotspot over a field conatining a url works fine, so it did work in v8 at least up to build 1753. We have the entire url in the field, i.e.
                      www.dmsi-south.com and put the hotspot over the field. With a modal form (we use as default), the hand appears when the mouse is over the field and launches the url. In edit mode, the field can be edited and the hand is NOT visible until the change is saved. Also, the hotspot is NOT set to be always on top
                      Hope the helps
                      John Lemisch

Comment

Thanks John,

I never did go back and try on v8 as i have no need for it at this writing. the desktop form I am using enters or edits nothing. it is only a main menu. I also realized i had unloaded all of v8. Still never really used it, just wasted money. At this writing, i may dump v9 too.

In V9, it definitely does NOT work as in earlier versions. If the hotspot is larger than the field, you can click the exposed parts and it will do what it is supposed to do.

If they start not keeping what they have that works, what will they drop next time?

Not acceptible!

Wanna buy v9 from me? maybe I can get enough to go elsewhere. in case you wanna know, this one pissed me off.

Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave:
                          no thanks...I have v9. Personally, I don't use hotspots over fields of data, but I do use them on top of text to create a "button look" using the hotspot icon. I don't think they intended to take the feature away, I think it just got lost in one of the builds in v8 after the one I use, and has not been reset in v9. I understand your frustration and anger over this however. My personal opinion is that whomever is doing their marketing has taken the company in the wrong direction and has reduced the emphasis on quality (some change in attitude) and developer satisfaction in favor of mass marketing sales, partnerships, quotas, competition in the consulting business, etc. Regardless of my opinions and your frustration/anger, it is still a great product.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Lemisch View Post
                            My personal opinion is that whomever is doing their marketing has taken the company in the wrong direction and has reduced the emphasis on quality (some change in attitude) and developer satisfaction in favor of mass marketing sales, partnerships, quotas, competition in the consulting business, etc.
                            I rather doubt that. The developer/programmer in chief is Monsieur Selwyn. I doubt that marketing bosses him around much. It's probably that A5 has so many features now, some of the little ones get run over once in a while. Not good, for sure. But maybe it will be fixed yet?
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

HI All,

I reported this as a bug and Selwyn replied promptly to say 'Thanks, I will look into it'.

I cannot get the hotspot to function correctly in V8 or V9. I use them a lot over fields to get user input.

Michael
                              www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X