Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic


Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.


If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.


Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.



Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

runtime license

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • runtime license

    Hi

    according to the help file "If you install a file called “license.key” which contains the license number as the first line in the file, then Alpha Five
    will not prompt for the license number. It will read the license number for this file, rather than from the Registry."

    Can someone tell me how to create this file.

    thanks

    Ian

  • #2
    Re: runtime license

    It is supposed to be just a plain text file. Use any text editor. Notepad will work as long as you make sure the file extension is correct.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: runtime license

      Hi Ian,

      Use Notepad to create file. Save it as License. When you save it will have the .TXT extension.

      Rename the file with the .KEY as the extension. Windows will say that it does not like it but will save the file.

      Whether it will be recognized by the runtime or not I do not know.
      Regards
      Keith Hubert
      Alpha Guild Member
      London.
      KHDB Management Systems
      Skype = keith.hubert


      For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: runtime license

        Hi

        no matter if I create a text file in notepad or in another editor it does not seem to work.

        If i create the setup program and include thefile called licence.key the install works ok but when I run the program I get the message error 4127 program not installed correctly. If I then create a set program without including the file licence.key the program starts and asks me for my serial number.

        It seems the fault is in the licence.key file yet all it includes is one line with my serial number.

        Any ideas anyone?

        thanks

        Ian

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: runtime license

          Has anyone used this approach, where you place the "license.key" file into the "C:\Program Files\a5v9 Runtime" directory?

          I am just getting around to using the V9 Runtime, and this approach for Runtime to access the license number does not seem to function. I still get the dialog box asking for the license number. Using Windows XP.

          Ed

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: runtime license

            Ed, you are correct. Placing the "license.key" file in the program files\a5v9 run engine directory does it. I just
            tested it on one of the computers in our office. You still
            must activate it however. Hopefully, Alpha will come out
            with some sort of control file to eliminate this need.

            John

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: runtime license

              This wasn't clear in the documentation for the Run Engine that we got. I created the install package with the runtime files included and installed it on one machine. Important note - it doesn't work properly until you open the database with the runtime, close it and then go back into the developer and create the install. Anyway, the request for my copy of the runtime program license key and then the request for activation surprised me. It asked for this on every user, even when I just copied the shortcut to another user on the same machine.

              There should be a way to bypass this for installs that I send to my other office or applications I create for outsiders. The license key for the product that we purchased shouldn't be given to somebody else. If it must be done this way then it should be in an encrypted file that is referenced by the install routine.

              Also, If we got an unlimited runtime program why does it have to "call home" to Alpha 5 to activate? This is a great copy protection feature and I understand it but shouldn't the developer of the specific application (myself) also be informed when one of his applications is being activated?

              Larry

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: runtime license

                Originally posted by pencak View Post
                This wasn't clear in the documentation for the Run Engine that we got. I created the install package with the runtime files included and installed it on one machine. Important note - it doesn't work properly until you open the database with the runtime, close it and then go back into the developer and create the install. Anyway, the request for my copy of the runtime program license key and then the request for activation surprised me. It asked for this on every user, even when I just copied the shortcut to another user on the same machine.

                There should be a way to bypass this for installs that I send to my other office or applications I create for outsiders. The license key for the product that we purchased shouldn't be given to somebody else. If it must be done this way then it should be in an encrypted file that is referenced by the install routine.

                Also, If we got an unlimited runtime program why does it have to "call home" to Alpha 5 to activate? This is a great copy protection feature and I understand it but shouldn't the developer of the specific application (myself) also be informed when one of his applications is being activated?

                Larry

                Larry:
                I agree that this should be revised by Alpha. There should NOT be an activation required for each client workstation on which it is installed under the "unlimited" distribution license. For those developers who 'hide' all references to Alpha, it is a "bust". We don't hide the Alpha reference, but the requirement to activate is a definate problem. I think that once the developer activates HIS/HER license, a file indicating that should be created that the developer can put into the application directory, along with the license.key file so that end users do not have to do anything except install the a5v9 run engine and open the application.
                my 2 cents

                John

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: runtime license

                  The license.key file should be encrypted. I don't want them knowing what my original license number is for my unlimited runtime. This seems like an easy fix. They can still leave the activation window but allow us to create a custom interface and give the ability to limit choices or something so you could lock it down to a web only activation.
                  The ideal fix for the unlimited runtime install creation package would be as follows:
                  Make "license.key" any filename you want and make it encrypted.
                  Allow the creation of a custom registration screen for your application where you can make a script that either emails or prints user information you want for your application and a web only activation that runs silent with the ability to have a custom confirmation dialog.

                  Larry

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: runtime license

                    Since the unlimited runtime is so new, I am sure that Alpha is already redesigning how things should be done for the registration process. It would probably be a great idea for anyone who is currently doing the runtimes and coming up with some good ideas like this that they post them in the "Features Wishlist". I am sure they would love all the ideas they can get right now so that they can cover all the bases that can be thought of.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: runtime license

                      I just used the throttle control and set the user count to 10
                      I then started an application and it showed that the valid number of users was, in fact, 10
                      I then removed (deleted) the 'startup.control' file from the a5v9 run engine directory
                      I then started the same application and now it shows the valid user count as 9999
                      A marginally astute user could very easily figure this out and increase their valid user count to the 'max'....so, of what value is this feature (which was one of the motivations for purchasing it)? There are a couple of things regarding this 'unlimited' license:
                      1. Once the developer has purchased a license, there should be NO requirement for the user to enter a license number (as with prior versions)
                      2. There should be NO activation required on the 'unlimited' license (at lease for the client-as with prior versions)
                      3. The throttle feature should be set in either the settings (require some protection), autoexec (or other file that can be protected, such as a script that can be converted to *.aex) and should be placed (and searched for) in the application's directory, not in program files

                      my "additional 2 cents"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: runtime license

                        Originally posted by Doug Page View Post
                        Since the unlimited runtime is so new, I am sure that Alpha is already redesigning how things should be done for the registration process. It would probably be a great idea for anyone who is currently doing the runtimes and coming up with some good ideas like this that they post them in the "Features Wishlist". I am sure they would love all the ideas they can get right now so that they can cover all the bases that can be thought of.
                        thanks for the input

                        The activation is actually going to be removed in the next patch which hopefully will be out early next week.



                        Thanks



                        Brett
                        Richard Rabins
                        Co Chairman
                        Alpha Software

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: runtime license

                          Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                          thanks for the input

                          The activation is actually going to be removed in the next patch which hopefully will be out early next week.



                          Thanks



                          Brett
                          That is definately a step in the right direction...thanks.
                          Now, how about incorporating the license number in the 'startup.control' file (since it is encrypted), and have the run engine look for it in the APPLICATION directory, rather than the a5v9 run engine program directory?
                          This would mean that as a developer, you create the startup control file as instructed and you ship it along with the application files. When a client needs more seats, you simply create a new startup.control file and place it in the application directory, replacing the old one. It should (of course) only look for a startup.control file if it is the run engine (not a full version)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: runtime license

                            we will review this with the development team John
                            thanks
                            Richard Rabins
                            Co Chairman
                            Alpha Software

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: runtime license

                              Originally posted by John Lemisch View Post
                              I just used the throttle control and set the user count to 10
                              I then started an application and it showed that the valid number of users was, in fact, 10
                              I then removed (deleted) the 'startup.control' file from the a5v9 run engine directory
                              I then started the same application and now it shows the valid user count as 9999
                              A marginally astute user could very easily figure this out and increase their valid user count to the 'max'....so, of what value is this feature (which was one of the motivations for purchasing it)? There are a couple of things regarding this 'unlimited' license:
                              1. Once the developer has purchased a license, there should be NO requirement for the user to enter a license number (as with prior versions)
                              2. There should be NO activation required on the 'unlimited' license (at lease for the client-as with prior versions)
                              3. The throttle feature should be set in either the settings (require some protection), autoexec (or other file that can be protected, such as a script that can be converted to *.aex) and should be placed (and searched for) in the application's directory, not in program files

                              my "additional 2 cents"
                              yes, true, but a marginally skilled developer would put code in his autoexec that said that if the startup.control file was missing then the application cannot start :):)

                              and as Richard points out, the activation requirement has been removed (as of the next update)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X