Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Why doesn't A5v9 work w/ Visual Foxpro tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why doesn't A5v9 work w/ Visual Foxpro tables

Hello All,

I have a vertical app that uses Visual Foxpro as the database.

Why can't A5 open the tables natively since they are dbf files?

It shows in A5 as an encrypted file.

Thanks

Mark Richter

Re: Why doesn't A5v9 work w/ Visual Foxpro tables

Ask Microsoft why they changed the format of the DBF tables they use. Alpha uses the 'flavor' of DBF that Foxpro 2.6 used.

I suppose it's also possible that your vertical app has encrypted the table. Can you open it with Excel?

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

No I cannot open the file in Excel.

Mark

Comment

Mark, I think that is a good indicator that the table has been encrypted. Even if the format were the same that Alpha uses, encryption would prevent you from being able to open it.

Comment

Tom,

Let me revise what I posted.

When I try to open the dbf created in VFP, Excel gives me an unrecognized format. Clicking OK does open the file but it has trouble reading it (garbage in the field names).

When I open the dbf created in A5 it opens cleanly.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by sparky06413 View Post
            Tom,

Let me revise what I posted.

When I try to open the dbf created in VFP, Excel gives me an unrecognized format. Clicking OK does open the file but it has trouble reading it (garbage in the field names).

When I open the dbf created in A5 it opens cleanly.

Mark
            Visual Foxpro tables were changed (I think in VFP 6.0) to allow for long field names, new data types, and expand the functionality of the database container (dbc). Consequently, you can't open VFP tables unless they are converted back to the 2.6 version. To do this, open the table in VFP and do a "copy to new_file_name TYPE FOX2X" and this will convert the file back to the format that Alpha Five can read directly, and this includes the memo file (FPT) and compound index file (CDX).

I have tried to open the VFP tables using the ODBC driver and this works in so far as I can import the data into an Alpha table, but I had trouble using it as a passive link table.

I'm a VFP developer taking a hard look at Alpha Five as an alternative for our development efforts. Still in the infancy of my analysis.
            John J. Fatte', CPA
            PRO-WARE, LLC
            Omaha, NE 68137

Comment

Hi John,

I really want to use A5 as a "front end" for my data and I don't want to export the data or save it as an old format. I use R&R for my reporting of the VFP data and it works perfectly.

My question really is "why doesn't Alpha support VFP". They come out with new versions often & I purchase them hoping that they will support a product (VFP) that has existed for a long time but I'm always disappointed when the functionality doesn't exist.

I would think reading that data natively would open up a large pool of new users such as yourself.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by sparky06413 View Post
                Hi John,

I really want to use A5 as a "front end" for my data and I don't want to export the data or save it as an old format. I use R&R for my reporting of the VFP data and it works perfectly.

My question really is "why doesn't Alpha support VFP". They come out with new versions often & I purchase them hoping that they will support a product (VFP) that has existed for a long time but I'm always disappointed when the functionality doesn't exist.

I would think reading that data natively would open up a large pool of new users such as yourself.

Mark
                I couldn't agree with you more. With the number of VFP developers looking for an alternative, adding native support for VFP tables would be a HUGE selling point. Hopefully, someone at Alpha is reading these posts.

There is another development application called Servoy (www.servoy.com) that boasts native VFP data support and they have been sending me emails and invites for the last 6 months. Their only drawback is that they require "per seat" runtime and I would never go for an option like that. Alpha's is much easier to swallow.
                John J. Fatte', CPA
                PRO-WARE, LLC
                Omaha, NE 68137

Comment

John,

They are pricy as the devil.

Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                    John,

They are pricy as the devil.

That is exactly why I started looking at Alpha Five. So far, so good. Still trying to create my first app; although we've already been able to create a very small web app to satisfy a need that we had.
                    John J. Fatte', CPA
                    PRO-WARE, LLC
                    Omaha, NE 68137

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more. With the number of VFP developers looking for an alternative, adding native support for VFP tables would be a HUGE selling point. Hopefully, someone at Alpha is reading these posts.
                      Actually, since this message board is peer supported, you'd do better to post a suggestion to the Wishlist Forum.

-- tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                        Actually, since this message board is peer supported, you'd do better to post a suggestion to the Wishlist Forum.

-- tom
                        Thank you for the suggestion, I'll do it ASAP.
                        John J. Fatte', CPA
                        PRO-WARE, LLC
                        Omaha, NE 68137

Comment

To take this further, assuming you have the Foxpro 2.6 formatted DBF, or if you use Visual Foxpro to read in an already-created DBF by Alpha Five (where it will "respect" the native format and keep it that way), I find issues with using the CDX (index) files created in Alpha Five. If you go to reindex an Alpha Five DBF, it will reindex only the tags that have the same functionality that is present both in Alpha Five AND Visual Foxpro. Alpha Five added index functionality that Visual Foxpro does not have, and these tags will be lost. I know this is going in the opposite direction as the original question, but there are times when I would like to do things like updating indexes without doing so within the Alpha Five environment. A Visual Foxpro EXE would accomplish this nicely except for the issue of functionality raised above.

Jeff

Comment

I have not used VFP before but found this thread interesting since I would have thought that ODBC should just about answer any of the questions. But it appears from a quick Google that MS has a somewhat faulty ODBC driver for VFP. So Mark, getting back to your original question, I would guess that if MS can't even specify their own drivers correctly, you can't expect someone else to do the job. Since your comments don't really specify what it is that you want to do with A5 in your VPF environment we are left to guessing. If it is for report functionality or to get your data into a new environment, then you can probably use the ODBC driver as John has pointed out that this works for him. I think that this is about all you could expect from Alphasoftware to provide. However, if you are trying to intermingle the 2 environments then it appears you could be heading for a problem. I would personally try the ODBC drivers against my own data to see how it works. But from all the problems that I could read about, interacting with the data live could prove to be a problem.

This might lead you to understand why Alpha has been created around supporting DB structures that are more "standardized". With A5v9 you can mix data sources freely for those that are supported and with ODBC anything else - where the driver actually works, that is.

Here's a link to an interesting wiki on the driver:

http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~VFP...er~SoftwareEng

HTH
                            Doug

Comment

Mark,

I use R&R for my reporting of the VFP data and it works perfectly
                              This stuck with me for a long time after I read it this afternoon. I used R&R a long time ago and uses Crystal reports more recently.

Have you worked with the alpha report writer? Don't count it out, it does a great job and you may find it has some things you don't have now.

Now, to the meat. It was hard leaving my old friend "Clipper", which I might add beat the pants off Foxpro in the old days. VB is better now, if you want to spend the time. I had choices with dos when leaving Clipper and one was FP, I chose alpha then and have never had a reason to look back.

WSo, when are you planning to make the switch? You cannot live on Mars and Venus at the same time. The distance is to great. You are on a dying world and (it seems) wanting to transfer to a thriving, very alive planet.

You ware very welcome in this world. Most all here came from another world somewhere and found a home. We brought a lot with us and I am sure you will too. We all share and aI am sure you will too.

Honestly, no one wants to leave a comfortable environment with a lot of accomplishments behind, but there is a time when it becomes necessary.

I would even bet you could use your R&R with alpha. Bet you won't need it though.

The only thing I liked about other report writers was the ability to make an exe for a report instead of it being embedded.

Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                              X