Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Why doesn't A5v9 work w/ Visual Foxpro tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why doesn't A5v9 work w/ Visual Foxpro tables

What is R&R?
    And... what can be dangerous about using A5 with active-link tables for reports?

I am trying to figure out this one small step (deploying a reporting tool) so I can begin replacing my VB6 code that interfaces with the VFP6 database. The next step is to modify the database and the final step is to jump completely into A5 and lose the VFP database entirely.

Comment

VFP has a built-in report writer that is quite capable. You can use that, or my favorite is R&R.

As for connecting to the VFP data, it is not clear what you're trying to do. I don't believe active link is necessary. When you use VFP and create a DBF with VFP, then it is not readable by Alpha Five. However, if you already have an Alpha Five DBF created (i.e., a dBase III format or Foxpro 2.6 format, which A5 is built on), the when you edit the data with VFP it remains as an A5-formatted table.

Jeff

Comment

JAF

Just to recap.

You want to access your VFP tables in A5 for reporting.

I'm not sure when MS decided to make the DBF structure proprietary, but it was the version when they introduced DBC (database container). I'm not sure if that was VFP6, but I believe it was.

If you want to access the VFP tables directly from A5, the tables would have to be converted back to the standard (non-proprietary) format that VFP 2.6 supported. You can do this by opening your table and using the following copy command.

USE {table_name} IN 0 ALIAS {alias_name}
        SELECT {alias_name}
        COPY TO {new_filename} FOX2X

The new_filename will be a Foxpro 2.6 version DBF and directly accessible by A5.

We are doing this with an invoicing application that we created in VFP9 but because we need to access the tables with A5, we just converted them back to the FOX2X format. Because we never adopted the database container introduced in VFP6, our application written in VFP9 still works with standard DBF tables.

We've always believed that the advantages provided by the DBC were far outweighed by the flexibility of not using them.
        John J. Fatte', CPA
        PRO-WARE, LLC
        Omaha, NE 68137

Comment

"USE {table_name} IN 0 ALIAS {alias_name}
          SELECT {alias_name}
          COPY TO {new_filename} FOX2X"

You can just say
          USE {table_name}

The other stuff is not necessary.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Fried View Post
            "USE {table_name} IN 0 ALIAS {alias_name}
            SELECT {alias_name}
            COPY TO {new_filename} FOX2X"

You can just say
            USE {table_name}

The other stuff is not necessary.

Jeff

Depends on whether there are other tables open or not. In a network environment or if there are other tables open, it is always smart to use an alias for the table to prevent an other tables from being closed inadvertently.
            John J. Fatte', CPA
            PRO-WARE, LLC
            Omaha, NE 68137

Comment

Hi everyone..
              I am very new to alpha five/alpha anywhere (version 12).. I have read the discussion in this forum about how to access foxpro tables/database and I downloaded both VFPOBDC driver and VFPOLEDB .. and installed them both.. but I not able to follow how to make the connections..
              could someone here show me how. or give me a link on how to do this.. I would so appreciate your assistance. Thank you in advance for your help.
              Oct 14th, 2013

Comment

Working...
              X