Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Record focus changes when typing in memo field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Record focus changes when typing in memo field

I have this odd behavior in an application where the focus on the record changes when I begin to enter something into a memo field. I couldn't find anything quite like this in searching.

The following example has a form for a set (Fs_Positions) holding 4 embedded browses that show parent-child-grandchild-greatgrandchild all as 1-M tables in the set. The fouth table has a notes field. When I set focus on a particular greatgrandchild record, and try to add a value to the memo field (Tr_Notes), the focus in the grandchild jumps to the first record in that table.

There are directions in a modeless dialog that pops up when the Positions form(Fs_Positions) is accessed to see the problem. I am at a loss. Any insight before having to fool around with a complicated work around would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Mike W

Re: Record focus changes when typing in memo field

Mike, that's very wierd. Even stranger, when the record selector moves in the grandchild table, the related records are NOT shown in the great-grandchild browse.

I don't see anything obvious that would be causing this. I note that the problem does NOT occur using the simpler default form for the set.

I wonder if the problem would clear if you moved the memo field to a new table, linked 1:1 to the transactions table. This is often recommended in order to assure continuity with transaction data if the memo field text should become corrupt.

Troubleshooting complex forms is always problematic. I try hard to keep things simple.

-- tom

Comment

Hi,

Just throwing this out there---not a problem in v8.

The only similar thing is that when the memo field is typed into, the Position browse (grandchild) record that is in focus moves to the browse top....but the record is still the correct one. Other than that everything works according to plan I think in version 8. My point is it looks like something introduced in v9.

And what Tom mentions does not happen either--the great grandchild records move when different grandchild (Position browse) records are selected.

good luck.
      Mike

Comment

Mike_W - the problem seems to go away if you comment out the OnFetch event script in the form; Set the sort sequence for the great-grandchild table by setting the order properties for that table in the properties of the form. This avoids having to run a query/sort everytime a record is fetched.

Comment

Mike, Tom,
          Thanks for looking.

I thought about the separate table idea. I duplicated the transaction table and deleted all but refno and notes and linked 1:1 as suggested. Still happens.

I tried commenting out all the form OnFetch events. In my hands, the oddity still occurs. I had not noticed it before but the 'reverse' happens when typing into the grandchild record notes memo field, the focus in the greatgrandchild (GGC) jumps to the first GGC record.

I am going to break things down and rebuild and see just when the oddity manifests.
          Mike W

Comment

Mike, whenever I see a complex form being used for data entry I'm reminded of Dr. Wayne's article at www.learn alpha.com. "Simplify your Application for Better Performance". If it's been a while since you read it maybe you should look it over again.

Personally, I use QuickBooks as a sort of style guide. When they present a complex form it rarely involves more than 3 tables, and it's never used for data entry. Instead, they popup smaller dialogs based on single tables. The only place I recall that they permit data entry using a grid is in the invoice form, and I suspect that there they are using only two tables to support the data entry. Since data integrity is crucial to quickbooks users, and to Alpha Five applications, I think there's a lot of food for thought here.
            Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 08-20-2008, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Tom,
              Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, it has been a while since I have read that. If I remeber correctly, he simplied to accomodate a networked application. This will be my single computer and my sibling families single computer application and not be networked, but re-read that I will.

I did go beyond my usual practice with this form, and have 4 tables involved. However, the form browses are for viewing. I don't typically won't (don't like or think good to) use browses for data entry. If you press any of the "ADD" buttons, or the action button, you will see that all the data entries happen through xdialog and the scripts enter data directly at the table level. I am going to do this with the notes part too, and see how that plays out. Thanks for the reminder to set order through form properties.
              Mike W

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
                I have this odd behavior in an application where the focus on the record changes when I begin to enter something into a memo field. I couldn't find anything quite like this in searching.

The following example has a form for a set (Fs_Positions) holding 4 embedded browses that show parent-child-grandchild-greatgrandchild all as 1-M tables in the set. The fouth table has a notes field. When I set focus on a particular greatgrandchild record, and try to add a value to the memo field (Tr_Notes), the focus in the grandchild jumps to the first record in that table.

There are directions in a modeless dialog that pops up when the Positions form(Fs_Positions) is accessed to see the problem. I am at a loss. Any insight before having to fool around with a complicated work around would be appreciated. Thanks.

We have been working on a significant rewrite of the browse code in V9 for the last few months. Here is a beta build of A5V9 with the new browse logic. This should fix the bug you have reported here. Once we have completed testing this new code, it will be released as in-line patch to V9.

http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/A..._patchBeta.exe
                http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/A..._PatchBeta.exe
                http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/A..._patchBeta.exe

Comment

This is off topic, but I was about to enter a feature request for browse, so I will mention it here. Would be useful to be able to hide a browse column. A search showed there was some success with setting the column width to 0.

Bill.

Comment

Bill,
                    Setting the width to 0 works and is easy to incorporate--on a project I am working on I have a browse title button which hides and unhides 5 other columns using just the width setting you referred to.
                    Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike. I have not tested yet, but do you know if Tab/Enter stops at each 0 width column?

Bill.

Comment

Bill,
                        It does not appear to stop on 0 column width fields in my testing. I use the 0 width column, setting it with the Object Explorer easily. It works well in my hands, and allows the values to be collected through parentform:browse#:fieldname.value code.
                        Mike W

Comment

Bill, Mike,
                          Does not stop here either....but to make certain I also turn off the tab stop for the column (I did turn it on just to test).
                          Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X