Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Who else wants their A5 application to look as good as QuickBooks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who else wants their A5 application to look as good as QuickBooks?

Originally posted by rmcgaffic View Post
    Andrea,

Exactly! That property is available only for an embedded browse placed on a form. It is not available for a browse creating as follows:

Browse tab
    [Click new]
    Select a table
    Browse>Browse properties

Unfortuanately there is no ShowRowSelector property available for a browse created this way.

When you View>Object explorer, likewise there is no ShowRowSelector property to set to False.

Bob McGaffic
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Looks like a bug to me in that case...

Comment

Having said that, the form in question appears to use the lookup solely to provide a list of options - in that case, a record list combo box would be the equivalent as used by many apps.

Field Rule Table lookups are mainly useful when you want to populate many fields on a form, and allow the user to update the lookup table at the same time - in that case, having the row selector available is useful, and I am pretty sure many apps that use .net and similar controls have recently added these features (e.g. a record selector image in dropdowns), so I don't see it as a bad thing necessarily. When you just use an embedded browse to quickly select a record and view its details in the main form however, the browse doesn't need to be editable and therefore can go without the row selector.

I would love it if both were available for dropdown lookups though, e.g. if it's a read only browse you do the lookup in, then allow the row selector to be removed...
      Last edited by NoeticCC; 08-22-2008, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Hi Andrea,

Just a followup comment.

You are quite right that the issue is the visual appearance of a form when many lookup validations are required. If you have 30 lookup fields on your form, do you really want 30 little V buttons plastered over it, when the alternative is to display the V button only when the field receives the cursor?

Infragistics is one of the leading suppliers of ActiveX and .net controls today, www.infragistics.com

Screen 1 shows a old Windows form grid from Infragistics which is noteworthy for two reasons:
        a. The lookup values display is done without row selector buttons, that is the values are displayed flush left. This can not be done with A5V9.
        b. The lookup display is not as nice as what Alpha offers with its field rule lookup. Look how cluttered the browse appears with the multiple columns of V buttons.

Screen 2 shows a modern .net grid from Infragistics, which is noteworthly again for two reasons:
        a. The lookup values display is done without row selector buttons, that is the values are displayed flush left. This can not be done with A5V9.
        b. The browse grid shows the V button only when a field receives the cursor focus.

In my opinion, Screen 2 is what Alpha Five Version 9 should look like, just like a excellent, modern .net control.

I think I've done my homework and offer the following conclusions:
        1. Alpha Five Version 8 had it right: no row selectors required in field rule lookups.
        2. Leading personal financial software Quickbooks does not impose row selectors in its field lookups
        3. Leading corporate enterprise software SAP does not improse row selectors in its field lookups
        3. Leading .net controls provider Infragistics does not impose row selectors in its lookups.

Which of my earlier proposed alternatives strikes you as the best way to get there? I am hoping to gather some other user opinions before approaching Richard and Sewlyn.

Bob McGaffic
        Pittsburgh

Comment

Filemaker allows your application to look as good as Quickbooks

All,

I spent my afternoon poking arount in the Filemaker world, and would like to offer one more example of why Alpha might want to consider improving the appearance of the field rule lookup as previously discussed.

I came across a demo of an application called Core CRM
          HTML Code:
          http://www.core2crm.com/video/index.htm
          that shows that Filemaker Pro 9.0 gives users functionality similar to what A5V9 removed from A5V8.

If you use the link and view either of the contact management online movies you will see that:

1. The field for Title does not display a V pull down button until the cursor focus is received, and then the list of available values is displayed without row selector buttons. The list display is aligned with the alignment of the field being populated.

2. The field for telephone type (son of a gun, my very example!) does not display a V pull down button until the cursor focus is received and then the list of available values is displayed without row selector buttons. And again the list display is aligned with the alignment of the field being populated.

Simple and clean!

The screen below shows a clip from that movie for the field telephone type, prior to receiving the focus the field was a simple type-in field, just like what I'm trying to achieve with Alpha Five V9.

A5V9 exhibits the following weaknesses compared to what a developer can achieve with FileMaker Pro 9:

1. The button on a combo box can not be hidden until the focus is received

2. The button on a field rule lookup list must always contain a row selector

3. If the field rule lookup uses a default browse, the row selector appears as a very hard to read black arrow on a navy background. The list is indented to allow room for the row selector button.

4. If the field rule lookup uses a custom browse, you are unable to hide or otherwise narrow the row selector.

In summary, I think I've documented four good reasons for Alpha to give us back this functionality:
          1. Best practice of the leading provider of personal financial software
          2. Best practice of the leading provider of corporate enterprise financial software
          3. Best practice of the leading provider of .net and activeX controls
          4. Competitor FileMaker Pro gives developers this functionality; Filemaker is now owned by Apple which takes good interface and product design seriously.

Bob McGaffic
          Pittsburgh
          Last edited by rmcgaffic; 08-23-2008, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Re: Filemaker allows your application to look as good as Quickbooks

I wish I had the time to do the research that you are doing, but I am too busy developing database applications in A5. By the way, my customers are quite happy with the look and feel of Alpha.

Ted Berry
            Iowa Park, TX

Comment

Ted,

Good to hear that your clients are happy with the applications that you have delivered with Alpha Five. Client expectations are very often a function of other software they have used, advertising, web searches, downloaded demos, what their competitors are doing, what they may read in popular and technical computer magazines, external management consulting services from the CPA firm, contract programmers, etc. For many users, the look and feel of Microsoft Office applications define this threshold.

I do not mean in any way to suggest that A5V9 is deficient; we all know it is extremely functional. But I’ve got to tell you I’m not interested in just functionality – I want both form and function! And I think Alpha has the potential to deliver big on both.

A couple of months a forum member privately chastised me for being critical of Alpha after I made a comment something to the effect – how could they have let this stuff out the door. The issue was the mixed use of different slider bar styles in the same form, something akin to wearing a plaid sports jacket with chalk striped trousers. Ugh!!! I’m no GQ type, but I try to avoid such fashion faux paus.

Listen, I don’t have time to waste being randomly critical. And, no I am not picking on Alpha. I have spent the last twenty years of my career helping clients re-engineer business processes, benchmark, and use information technology to either maintain a competitive advantage or at least competitive parity. Along the way I have seen standards and conventions evolve and best practices emerge, that allow others to avoid re-inventing the wheel. As you may be well aware, over the same twenty years this has been accomplished more and more with standardized software, with many firms trying to minimize custom development.

I am not sure whether many forum members or Alpha team members have this background; it’s not better than the technical development route, just different. I am very much interested in creating/using software that is easy to work with and which improves a client’s productivity both directly and indirectly for such issues as error correction, training, etc. I would venture to say, I probably have worked hands on with more financial software than any member on this forum: Quicken, QuickBooks, Solomon IV, Microsoft Money, Microsoft Great Plains Dynamics, Sage MAS90, Hyperion, Lawson, and SAP. I feel that I do have a reasonably good handle on how such firms handle common interface issues.

So I am not presenting my personal opinion on some of these design issues, but endeavoring to document that they are widespread practice. When a forum member challenged me with a comment “who says so” , I provided chapter references to my personal library of GUI design books, and provided links to Amazon for ordering and full bibliographic information. I never heard anything further from him.

As far as wanting Alpha to be better? I realize that I shouldn’t give a shit. But I feel a little like the neighbor to a tadpole like a young Michael Phelps. If this kid had real potential, wouldn’t you want to encourage his parent’s to get the best possible swimming coach?

And so was the motivation in suggesting better design services for the Alpha web page, product packaging, icon design, third party manual book design, and yes even A5V9 samples, which are held out as the best Alpha Five is capable of.

I learned quickly how intensely loyal and protective many forum members are of the Alpha team. So rather than simply express a personal opinion, I have endeavored to show what other leaders in the marketplace are doing that might be worthy of emulation.

If you ever have listened to Garrison Keeler on PBS radio, you may know that the one the sponsors of the show is Ralph’s Pretty Good Grocery Store. (“Remember, if you can’t find it at Ralph’s, you probably don’t need it”). If you live in the midwest’s mythical town of Lake Wobegone, Ralph’s is “good enough”. For many clients, that’s all they want. But once they’ve been to Minneapolis or St. Paul, their horizons tend to be a little wider.

I guess you can say I am trying to encourage Alpha to take a more cosmopolitan approach to their product, to learn from the best on the market, and equal or better that. Every single one of the weaknesses I have identified, I think could be easily remedied. I am hopeful that Alpha's team doesn't suffer from "not invented here" syndrome.

I also realize that Alpha as a private company does not have unlimited resources and need to wisely allocate them. Therefore, I push hard only on the controls that I can’t replace or work around easily. If you visit the code library, you might be interested in a paper I wrote in using A5V9 with an activeX control to achieve advanced functionality impossible with the native A5V9 tree control.

I am trying to gauge whether other users feel as do to make a case to Richard or Sewlyn or whether I should just take my bat and ball home, returning to Filemaker. I have definitely noticed that the newest forum members (presumably new to A5) tend to agree with my perspective, while the veteran members are just fine with things the way they are, thank you.

Bob McGaffic
              Pittsburgh

Comment

I wish I had the time to do the research that you are doing, but I am too busy developing database applications in A5. By the way, my customers are quite happy with the look and feel of Alpha.
                It always strikes me as ironic (and somewhat comical) how some take offense at the constructive, if persistent, criticism of Alpha by others. Bob, makes well reasoned and impassioned arguments on an issue he sees as important. Indeed he presents well researched examples, speaks clearly, if not somewhat eloquently, and maintains great civility while doing it. He has cited five bugs that he presented to Alpha that they have since fixed. The squeaky wheel gets greased (although not always). That's a good thing. Bob has a sharp eye for detail. Not a bad thing. He fairly conclusively demonstrates how other leading software manufacturers treat detail with that same careful eye. Yet, there are those who feel the need to "defend" Alpha software from such comparisons. You can almost hear what they are really trying to say: "Oh no, don't make your software better. It's good enough as it is...Lets just hide our heads in the sand...". Whatever. Positive critiques, such as the ones Bob gives, helps Alpha become a better product. Furthermore, it opens the eyes of many people to see things they may not have previously noticed (including, perhaps, the Alpha Software team). This is very useful. I say keep up the good work, Bob (and others).

One other note by way of analogy: In totalitarian countries you can be sure no one criticizes much of anything. This is the very thing that so many people seem to want to embrace. How ironic.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Bob and Peter,

Sorry for sending a post that looks like I was being critical of Bob's work. I had a family emergency and sent the message long before it was finished. In my hast to get to the hospital, I hit the send button and left.

With the first 2 points being made that I wish I had the time to research like Bob is doing and that my customers are happy, the other side of the coin is that most of my customers don't see the things that I see. Alpha does have some areas of inconsistency that could be improved upon. I am excited about having someone in the Alpha community who has the expertise and the drive to bring these to the attention of Alpha.

I spent many years with Clarion and left them because they 'stuck their heads in the sand' and left their users with software that hasn't been updated for 7-8 years now.

Again, didn't mean to be critical. The point I wanted to make was that some of my users don't know the difference and don't care, but I almost always see the inconsistency in design. My first year with Alpha has been one of awe - first at how fast Alpha responds to their customers and second at how much can be done with these products. They aren't perfect by any means, but are better than what I am used to working with. Bob is bringing the small, finer things to light and from what I have seen of Alpha I think they will at least listen to what he has to say.

Have a good night,

Ted Berry
                  Iowa Park, TX

Comment

Working...
                  X