Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multi-User 100~300 new records per hour...locking error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Multi-User 100~300 new records per hour...locking error

I would recommend the Community Edition of MySQL, version 5.0.45 or 5.0.51.
    The portable version of xampp I believe has 5.0.51 in it.

I also like sqlyog for the tool to use to maintain mysql. The free version is good, the paid one has more features, but either will work.

Alan

Comment

thanks bro....

Comment

I would recommend the Community Edition of MySQL, version 5.0.45 or 5.0.51.
        The portable version of xampp I believe has 5.0.51 in it.

I also like sqlyog for the tool to use to maintain mysql. The free version is good, the paid one has more features, but either will work.

Alan
        Last edited by asawyer13; 08-29-2008, 05:22 PM. Reason: Sorry, double post

Comment

I just watched Selwyn's 40 minute video...
          http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphafi...lpha_postgres/

This video shows how to use Alpha with PostgreSQL and how to export my DBF files over to Postgres. Well worth watching... I may watch it again later to see what else I can pick up.

I had a larger application with 29 tables and hundreds of thousands of records and the export procedure was flawless!

Now I'm hoping to duplicate my forms (using these active link tables) and I'm off and running using Postgres.

I use Postrges in other languages and it is totally free (unlike mySql - free only for non-commercial use) and is very robust.

http://www.postgresql.org/about/

--Bob

Comment

Bob,

Postgresql is also good, and would even be better if there was an install free (portable) version, but it doesn't appear to exist yet. Once a portable version is available, I will get involved with it.

The primary licensing issue with MYSQL is that there is a lot of confusion over it. If the customer downloads the MYSQL software, then they are able to use it for free at their company. Hence, if my software can give them a link to download and set it up (which the portable version that I use doesn't require any setup, unless you change putting it on a different drive letter), then from a licensing standpoint, the customer is covered. But like I said, lots of confusion in that area.

SQLite can also be used, which is free, doesn't need to be installed, and a good single user solution, though it's not as powerful as Postgresql or mysql.

Alan

Comment

Alan,
              Did just a brief research of the MySQL licensing and found this site
              http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/lic...l-license.html
              which said, among other things,:
              Typical examples of MySQL distribution include:
              • Selling software that includes MySQL to customers who install the software on their own machines.
              • Selling software that requires customers to install MySQL themselves on their own machines.
              • Building a hardware system that includes MySQL and selling that hardware system to customers for installation at their own locations.
              Specifically:
              • If you include the MySQL server with an application that is not licensed under the GPL or GPL-compatible license, you need a commercial license for the MySQL server.
              • If you develop and distribute a commercial application and as part of utilizing your application, the end-user must download a copy of MySQL; for each derivative work, you (or, in some cases, your end-user) need a commercial license for the MySQL server and/or MySQL client libraries.
              • If you include one or more of the MySQL drivers in your non-GPL application (so that your application can run with MySQL), you need a commercial license for the driver(s) in question. The MySQL drivers currently include an ODBC driver, a JDBC driver and the C language library.
              • GPL users have no direct legal relationship with MySQL AB. The commercial license, on the other hand, is MySQL AB's private license, and provides a direct legal relationship with MySQL AB.
              This seems to contradict what you have said about your "method" of circumventing the license requirement....Just wanted others to know of the thin ground they may be walking on if they plan on distributing an application that uses (depends upon) MySQL without a commercial license.
              Mike

Comment

Mike,
                The keyword is "Requires".. As long as the software you sell can be used for multiple databases, eg MySQL, PostgresQL, dbf's, sqlite, MS Access, etc, then this is allowed.

It's only if the software runs only on mysql that a commercial license is needed.

That's the primary reason why I would like a portable version of PostgreSQL. I already could set me software up to use MySQL, MS Access, sqlite (i haven't done too much yet on that one in A5, but a lot in RealBasic). The more the merrier. If it can all be set up correctly, the software would appeal to more people.

Alan

Comment

We went thru this for days on the RealBasic forums.

Like I said, much confusion.

For sure, PostgreSQL's licensing is free for whatever you want to use it for.
                  MySQL's is free for personal use, but not for Commercial use.

I'm not a lawyer, but I do know that it was determined as best as quite a bit of discussion, etc occurred on other sites, that if your software doesn't require MySQL to be downloaded, doesn't include MySQL in it's distribution, and the customer can download and install, then a Commercial license is not needed, HOWEVER, each developer needs to confirm that the licensing hasn't changed and that he/she is abiding by what is required in the licensing.

Since my software is going to support multiple backends (at least that's my plan), I beleve I will be okay. I will let you know if that changes.

Alan
                  Last edited by asawyer13; 09-01-2008, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Alan,

I agree it would be easier to implement an A5 solution using Postgres for your (potential) users... if it had a single file install or a DLL like Firebird has; although I find it very easy to install Postgres (Windows version) now.

I'm playing with SQLigthning server. see: http://planetsquires.com/sqlite_client_server.htm

This is a public domain server program that uses SQLite. It's free, it's a single DLL and it's easy to implement. It's developed in PowerBASIC, but should be useable with any language that supports Windows DLL's.(I'm using it with PowerBASIC and PureBasic). AlphaFive's AlphaDAO should be able to work with this program as the tables just plain SQLite.

Alpha Five using SQL just may be the best thing that's happened to database programming in a long time.

--Bob
                    Last edited by Bob Houle; 09-01-2008, 01:04 PM. Reason: change

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Houle View Post
                      Alan,

I agree it would be easier to implement an A5 solution using Postgres for your (potential) users... if it had a single file install or a DLL like Firebird has; although I find it very easy to install Postgres (Windows version) now.

I'm playing with SQLigthning server. see: http://planetsquires.com/sqlite_client_server.htm

This is a public domain server program that uses SQLite. It's free, it's a single DLL and it's easy to implement. It's developed in PowerBASIC, but should be useable with any language that supports Windows DLL's.(I'm using it with PowerBASIC and PureBasic). AlphaFive's AlphaDAO should be able to work with this program as the tables just plain SQLite.
                      Ooh thanks that sounds interesting, at the moment we don't produce software for external use but since 99% of by database knowledge is SQL, if I ever do get the time to start rolling out apps for our customers to use then I'd prefer to stick to SQL there too... although the longer the more I'm beginning to appreciate some of the advantages of dbf files (for standalone apps at least!).

Comment

Thanks for the information on sqlite server.

I actually used a sqlite database and created active links in A5 for it, though I haven't really played much with it.

The other reason I would like a portable version of any db I use, is that if the customer wants to move it from one server to another, it's very simple if it's portable, copy and change the ip/server name in the software and you're done. That's much harder with installed software. So for Access, they copy the database file, for MySQL portable they copy the mysql directory structure which includes the data, for sqlite, they copy the db file, but postgresql is a little more complicated. For sure let me know if someone does a portable one. I'm sure it's possible.

I've waited more than 10 years for the client/server version of A5, so I'm trying to jump in with all four feet, and see what I can do.

Alan

Comment

It would be interesting to see how sqlite local and sqlite server worked in A5. If they worked well, you could easily create a single user application, and with no real changes roll it out to multi-user.

sqlite is no where near as robust as mysql/postgresql, etc, but the data is in one file, it supports sql, indexes, etc.

Interesting.

Alan

Comment

Alan,

sqlite is no where near as robust as mysql/postgresql, etc, but the data is in one file, it supports sql, indexes, etc.
                            Well I think this is why SQLightning server came into existence. They felt that SQLite databases were good, but needed a firmer hand to control who/what is allowed to change record information, and that client/server would achieve that end.

Hopefully in a few days I'll have some time to work with SQLightning/SQLite tables and Alpha Five.

--Bob

Comment

Alan, Mike, Bob, Andrea:

Where were you guys a year ago???
                              Man I wish I met you guys then.

Back then, though a bit painful, due to a learning curve, I was able to move all my tables over to MySql. On many of the tables I had no problem at all. On some with jpg, bmp, or image-file-references I had a bit of a problem, but all solveable.
                              But when I started building forms I ran into a whole new set of problems.
                              1. I like using a lot of the field rules in dbf(not the form). Like calculated fields, default, validation, unique test, funky--auto-increments like Cust0001 etc. Some of my calculated fields were fairly complicated. Further, I did use some of the POST field rules which are all easy to do in dbf. At the time, I realized I could use SOME of these functionalities in active-link. However, if I were to change the definition of the A-link table even a bit, I would lose the field rules that I painstaikingly placed on the a-link-dbf.
                              2. At the time, calculated fields on the forms especially where you "count" the record in MySQL didn't work or took very long (I cant recall). I think it was a problem with how it worked with A5. Selwyn told me at the time that this was a problem with MySQL.

Im curious to know if & what problems you guys face with A5+SQL. You have exported your database to sql. Now, the question is can you do everything you used to with dbf's with sql.....

Also, that great video should be in the A5 Video library...should it not? I find that I have to do so much searching for some of these videos. They should all be in one location.....

Finally, I use a lot of network optimization (shadows), and wonder if you need to install MySQL on all the units or just the server unit. I believe its only the server unit.
                              I'm also curious if in the SQL world, (not using A5) if they do something similar to Network optimization?

Sorry if this is too many questions....

Comment

I didn't want to head down the road of trying to use A5 before V9.

I am actually just working on changing my app over to a5 now that it's v9.
                                I actually have a little project that will be run again a remote mysql db that I will be doing first.

So, I'm going to be about 30 days out before I have too much that I can tell you.

We can stay in contact and see how it goes.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X