Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multi-User 100~300 new records per hour...locking error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Multi-User 100~300 new records per hour...locking error

Thats cool.
    I wish the best for you on your project.
    I'll start migrating my 100~300 records per hour compontent over to POSTGRES in 2 weeks or so.
    And see what happens....

Comment

Originally posted by mschoi View Post
      Alan, Mike, Bob, Andrea:

Where were you guys a year ago???
      Man I wish I met you guys then.
      Not (yet) into Alpha!!! (Still struggling with PHP for that matter ;) )

I'm also curious if in the SQL world, (not using A5) if they do something similar to Network optimization?
      Depends which part you mean - do you mean record locking or file sharing/locking aspects? The data in SQL databases is always on the server, so any network optimization or shared files involved in any application are on the application side, e.g. PHP files or a PowerBuilder app etc.

Comment

You answered my question... thats what I thought..

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
          Just FYI, I agree--I have a major app in which the main key and autoincrement field is numeric and I have never had a problem due to it being numeric. Always found it puzzling why some insist that making such a field a character is superior.
          I've been, and continue to be, a proponent of character fields for "ID" fields. In the past I carried this concept over to autoincrement fields for two basic reasons: (1) it is never used for any math calculations and (2) I tended to use the auto-increment field as an ID field. Also, I've run into situations where people wanted to add a prefix or suffix to an "ID" (autoincrement) field. While that kills the simple auto-increment capability, it doesn't mean I can't create my own auto-increment to handle it and the process is much easier if I don't also have to contend with the difficulties of carefully converting both parent and child tables plus necessary changes to scripts to handle the number-to-character issues.

Considering the issue of possible SQL conversions in the future, I would agree that numeric autoincrement fields are probably the better choice. HOWEVER, when people use auto-increment fields I believe they should think very careful about considering it an "ID" field also. (I'm not saying "don't do it"; I'm just saying you should consider it carefully. In fact, my previous choice to use auto-increment fields as "ID" fields is NOT my preference anymore.)

Here's why:

I've run into a number of situations where a customer has initially said something like, "All I need is a number for the ID field." A year or two later they decide they need a prefix or suffix for some reason. Adding a prefix or suffix to a number is rather difficult to say the least. Converting the number field to a character field can be done but it can be difficult and, since it's also the linking value, must be carefully coordinated with all child tables. If the original field was a number, it also typically means changing indexes and scripts because of the differences in handling numbers and characters.

I know of one situation where the user wants to use a W or R to identify customers as wholesale or retail. In this case, a separate ID field consisting of W/R plus the first 3 letters of the last name and the number part of the street address works much better than some apparently random number created by an auto-increment field. A complete ID field also works better than using the auto-incremented "ID" number plus a separate W/R field. The user can look the customer up by the W/R plus 3 letters of the last name then ask for the address if multiple customers are found with the same last name. If instead the customer were asked to remember his "customer number" -- the auto-incremented number -- well, that isn't likely to happen.

The above example is from an old app and the "ID" field is used in place of an auto-increment field. (This app was actually designed by someone else and I'd like to think I'd have been smarter back then but I'm not so sure I can honestly say that.) If I were to do this today, I'd use both an auto-increment field AND the ID field. With the current ID, a customer cannot change between Retail and Wholesale without creating a new number and losing the link to previous data - maybe that's good and maybe not. Also, the female customers can't get married and change their names; and none of the customers are allowed to move to a different address.

OK, those last two were a bit facetious but you get the point. If all the records were linked by a simple, auto-incremented customer number then it would be easy to change the "Customer ID" when people move, get married, or change status. And, if you really want to start a new number when, for example, someone changes from a retail to wholesale customer, just create a new customer!

Well, that was a lot more detail than I originally intended but hopefully it provides some thought provoking concepts.

Edit: I went back and reread some of the earlier posts and see that this is very similar to what Andrea and Dave recommended earlier. And with far fewer words!
          Last edited by CALocklin; 09-01-2008, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Being a sound proponent of numeric to link tables together into sets and be autoincremented, I will counter Cal (in a friendly way) with. My users do not have access to the linking field, which is numeric. It is never in a discussion about that field. In other words, it is out of bounds. It can be used for keeping a record to search on though and is shown on ONE form. It is also printed on one Report. I have other fields that need to be autoincremented and they have to be character. The stock number of a vehicle may look like 80176 and the first trade would be 80176A abd subsequent stock numbers would go like 80176B, then c, etc.

If I am using a set it is connected by the (my field name) acct field to whichever table.

My switch came when the number(character at the time) got to a certain level and suddenly went from like 1999 to 20000000. Can't help it, I lost all interest in using character fields for the purpose. That post is in here somewhere with exact figures

Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

NUMERIC VS CHARACTER AUTO-INCREMENT
              When doing an append or post operation where the unique-no duplicate key is two or more fields, using the genie A5 does something like this:

Master Table : Invoice_id (N) - Invoice_detl_id (N)
              Transaction Tabele : Invoice_id (N) - Invoice_det_id (N)

You will notice that the A5 genie converts it to String
              Str(Invoice_id,6,0)-str(Invoice_det_id,6,0) =
              which shows up as:
              "______15_____18" (underline represents blank spaces)
              This is because A5 converts it to character, I'm assuming because A5 does its sorting fundamentally in CHARACTER. However, the blank spaces are there and sometimes seem to need treatment with alltrim() which will make it:
              alltrim(Str(Invoice_id,6,0))-alltrim(str(Invoice_det_id,6,0)) =
              "1518"
              But the problem is this could also be
              Invoice_Id #1 and Invoice_det_id #518
              instead of
              Invoice_Id #15 and Invoice_det_id #18

Do you see the problem?
              Has anyone had this type of problem with Numeric Auto-increment? If so what is the solution?
              Last edited by mschoi; 09-02-2008, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                Being a sound proponent of numeric to link tables together into sets and be autoincremented, I will counter Cal (in a friendly way) with. My users do not have access to the linking field, which is numeric. It is never in a discussion about that field. In other words, it is out of bounds. It can be used for keeping a record to search on though and is shown on ONE form. It is also printed on one Report.
                Same here altho my app was originally built by someone else - the good thing with Alpha5 - and to some degree with things like triggers and so forth in SQL databases - is that you can always use field rules etc. or lookups etc. to show a more user friendly version of what that numerical ID stands for on reports, forms and so on. I guess it may be something that folk more familiar with relational SQL databases are more comfortable with numeric auto-inc IDs because that's all we know for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                  Being a sound proponent of numeric to link tables together into sets and be autoincremented, I will counter Cal (in a friendly way) with....
                  Actually Dave, my post may be hard to follow but I think we are saying the same thing NOW. I used to be a proponent of character fields for auto-incrementing. For a number of reasons I'm not anymore. In addition, I now limit the use of the auto-incremented field - which I believe is the same thing you are saying but in a different way.

Maybe my use of the term "ID" field was confusing. In this case I'm differentiating between an "ID" field and an auto-incremented field. In the past I used one field for both purposes but I'm finding that doing so can cause problems because that can result in one field that has two purposes - (1) linking tables and (2) being something the user can 'relate' to.

I AM still a proponent of character fields for "ID" fields but my point was that I wouldn't make the "ID" field an auto-incremented field. I want to be able to modify the "ID" field if necessary to identify some change. The "ID" field might still be defined as unique but it would not be my linking field and would not be auto-incremented.

That's not to say that every table with an auto-incremented field also needs an "ID" field - far from it. Only that if it does then I will probably create a separate "ID" field so I can change it, add a prefix/suffix, etc. without affecting the original links. Even if the original use/user doesn't see any need to change the ID field, my experience is that there is a fair chance something will happen in the future to make it desirable on at least one of the ID fields in the app.

Comment

Working...
                  X