Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Companion Forms and Refreshing the Parent Form Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Companion Forms and Refreshing the Parent Form Display

I have a main form that contains an embedded browse listing related child records, with the main form displaying the fields of the focused child record. I have a button that invokes opening a companion form for the child�s embedded browse to edit the child record that is in focus in the embedded browse. All works fine, but apparently A5 does not incorporate a nonprocedural mechanism to automatically refresh the data view of the child record fields displayed on the parent form when the companion form is closed after editing the child. By that I mean if I edit the child record in the companion form, save, and exit back to the parent form the parent form display is not updated/refreshed for any changes I made to the child record unless I explicitly invoke a form/screen refresh action. That�s workable to the in that I can issue the refresh action following the close of the companion form after returning to the main form as the final button OnPush action. But, it strikes me that issuing the refresh in this manner is really not very inefficient. It effectively forces the entire form to refresh, when all that I need/wantt refreshed are the displayed child fields. If the parent form has a lot of other data from the parent table or other child tables I�d rather not be refreshing all that data as well since none of it has changed. What is the best way to force a refresh of just the fields pertaining to the child table that was edited in the companion form?

Re: Companion Forms and Refreshing the Parent Form Display

Hi Douglas,

Have you tried Object_Refresh?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

I have tried invoking the 'Refresh Object' as the last action in the 'OnPush' event of the parent form�s button that calls the companion form for editing the child record.

The button has only the following two actions defined:
      Open �Companion form� for an Embedded Browse
      Refresh Objects (with specific child fields specified)

The companion form opens, individual fields are edited and the form is closed with changes saved. The child table fields that are displayed on the parent form, edited in the companion browse, and which were specified in the Refresh Objects action, are not refreshed. If I tab through the fields on the parent form any fields that were changed in the companion form magically refresh individually as focus moves off each field onto another. But his has nothing to do with having tried to invoke the 'Refresh Objects' action because the same behavior is exhibited if the 'Refresh Objects' action is eliminated.

If the 'Refresh Objects' action is replaced with a 'Refresh Display' in the above scenario then everything on the parent form is properly refreshed. Why doesn�t the 'Refresh Objects' work similarly?

If I put a button on the form that invokes only the 'Refresh Objects' action then the specified objects get refreshed. Why would this work but not the combination of 'Open Companion Form' and 'Refresh Objects'? I still don�t understand why A5 doesn�t simply automatically refresh the fields of the child table that were edited in the companion form.

Comment

Try putting you action on the form's on activate event? I believe that when you activate the main form each time it will refresh.

Putting it on a button to open a seperate form refreshes before you have done any changes.

Also, I think you can refresh the browse by name as kieth was trying to say?

Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thanks for fleshing out my reply.
          Regards
          Keith Hubert
          Alpha Guild Member
          London.
          KHDB Management Systems
          Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

The only way I am getting it to sort of work correctly is by uising browse.Resynch() ., as in the following:

The button now has the following two actions defined:
            Open ‘Companion form’ for an Embedded Browse

this opens the companion form and allows editing of the child table
            data for the child record that is in focus on the embbeded browse
            showing on the parent form. This works perfectly fine.

topparent:Unitbrowse.activate()
            topparent:Unitbrowse.resynch()

These two xbasic commands will resynch the embedded browse when the companion form is closed, and they seem to work ok, with one oddity. I have one granchild table displayed on the parent form parent that is the child of the table being edited in the companion form. I can add or delet the granschild reords in the companion form with no problem. But if I delete any grandchild records and then close the companion form, the grandchilds embedded browse on the parent form will not properly resynch if there is any sort applied to its view, i.e it will only resych if the embbeded browse is in default record number order. Kind of odd. I've tried a lot of possibilities to work around this but so far haven't hit the magic solution. I'll keep playing.
            Last edited by DRW; 09-04-2008, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Oops, I spoke too quicky. The part about grandchild embedded browses getting proeprly resynched/refreshed correctly - but only if their default sort order is by record no. is not correct. They don't consistently get resynched - sometimes they do sometimes they don't. Haven't deduced a pattern yet. The one consistency is if a sort order for their browse based on a field then the embedded browse display for them is always out of synch after the parent embedded browse gets resynched. And it doesn't matter whehther a separate resynch is issued for the grandchild embbedded browse - it still reamins messed up. Like I said I'll just keep trying various other things to see if I stumble upon the right combo of actions to straighten them out.

Comment

I think I might have encountered a somewhat similar problem, see http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=75765 I am not using parent/child forms but have a form with an embedded browse and other fields from the same table. If I double click a row in the browse to open a "change form", and then make changes the changes are reflected in the embedded browse but not in the related fields on the form. Refreshing the fields has no effect. Tabbing through the fields refreshes them. Did you solve your problem and if so how?

Comment

Working...
                X