Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Mapped Table One to Many option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mapped Table One to Many option?

Currently a Mapped table can only be linked with a ONE-TO-ONE option. I use the mapped table to create a view over 3 tables. But the Child table can have more than one occurance for each Link to the Parent table.

Now I cannot define this since only ONE-TO-ONE link option is supplied.

Anyway to achieve something like this?

regards, Ron

Re: Mapped Table One to Many option?

Ron - one-to-one is a limit of mapped tables. If you need one-to-many, use a set instead.

I haven't tried this: you may be able to use a mapped table in a set - dunno, so not advice, just a thought.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Yes, you can use a mapped table in a set. So just create 2 mapped tables, one for parent and one for child - if both parent and child must have some fields removed from the view.

Bill.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. The reason I need is for a webgrid based on this view...

To my understanding you cannot use sets in the web server side.

The concept of using 2 mapped tables in a set I do not understand, but |I feel this cannot be used at the web server also.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

regards, Ron

Comment

Ron, do you mean to be posting to the DESKTOP forum for Alpha Five vers 9?

Comment

If you want to display this in a flat grid, then create the mapped table with the "many" table as the parent. Then you will have 1-1 linking. For each record in the "many" table, the values in the other table will be repeated.

Bill.

Comment

Tom,

Yeah before posting I thought about where to post this question. But since the creation of the mapping table is in the core package, I thought to post it here. But now I have second thoughts...

What should I do to get it there also?
              Shame sets still cannot be used in the application server, as it seems. I hope Alpha either to that or extends mapped tables with 1:m links

regards, Ron

Comment

Bill,

See attached pic of the mapping table definition. Are you saying I should reverse the PPP_leden and ppp_kaarten? And that should do the trick?

In the view I want to show that a lid (member) can have several membership cards (kaarten). In the current definition the grid shows only the first occurance for the member. there are many more; Although only 1 card can be active.

regards, Ron

Comment

Ron,

You should post in the web section, but you will find that you can do a grid linker (using mapped tables) which is the equivalent of a desktop set, or you can just hyperlink from the parent page and display a new web page with the desired child data. You probably want the former.

I don't think there is anything more needed for mapped tables, and it seems they can do everything you need, at least as I understand it.

Bill.

Comment

Bill,

Thanks. Agree on the web server posting. But limitations to the mapped table link definition should als apply for the client side. I do think there is more needed on the mapped table definition possibilities:

Now: when a member has several cards, with the current mapped table possibilities you can only show the first or last link between both. What I need is:

Lets says one member has 4 cards: I want to see 4 rows of data. In this setup the 4 rows consists of 4 consecutive periods a card was valid. This is possible in database view definition in any relation DB system like hOracle, so I think it should be possible for mapped tables.

If this is possible using sets than sets should be made available also for the web server side.

Still would like to change this post to the server side, but do not really know whether I can do that now at this point...

Overall: cannot remember having so much fun since COBOL 85 with evaluate statements..

regards, Ron
                    Last edited by rleunis; 09-19-2008, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Moving the post would require an administrator. Or you could just start again.

The table/set/map design will depend on how you want the result to look. If you want a classic 1-many display, like an invoice with line items, then on the web side use a grid linker to link the parent (member) with child (cards). This would give you a grid of member records. You click on a member record to display the child records in a grid below the member grid.

If you link the parent (cards) with child (member) as a 1-1 link, you will see the member fields on the same row as the card fields, with member values repeated as needed. This would be just one grid for everything.

On the web side you can use mapped tables (views), but there is less need to create them since there is no "default" display as there is on the desktop side.

Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Parker View Post
                        Yes, you can use a mapped table in a set. So just create 2 mapped tables, one for parent and one for child - if both parent and child must have some fields removed from the view.

Bill.
                        Hi Bill:
                        I have tried many times to use a mapped table in a set but without success. For expl I created a mapped table with as parent Invdetails and child Invoices and piped in Customer Id. When I try to create a set with Customer as parent and the mapped table as child, I always get the same error message: "Could not create/edit link...etc.... not an open table"
                        Could you please show an example of a mapped table used in a set?
                        Thanks

Comment

Gaby,

As I try now to use a mapped table in a set, the mapped table automatically reverts back to the regular version of the table if the mapped table is the child. If mapped table is parent, then nothing happens. I don't get the error you describe.

Back in September I am pretty sure I would have tested this before answering because I had my own bugs to report to Alpha with mapped tables. At any rate, it does not work now for me. The help file does not talk about using a mapped table in a set, so it is probably not a "bug".

Bill.

Comment

Ok, thanks Bill.

Comment

Working...
                            X